tractor sounding engine after replacing turbo.....

Probably going to answer this myself but replaced the turbo yesterday and finished today. Primed up etc. Started her up and sounds like a tractor now. Engine idles fine.

I'm pretty sure I tightened up everything fine, she just sounds like it hasn't been you know like your exhaust has a hole in it etc. I can't see it being anything else....?

Best I check and re-tighten the exhaust and start from there?

try your cat/ decat nuts i done my mani today drove up the road and lost a nut off the decat sounded like a tractor till i replaced it

Cheers guys. Pretty much what I thought. Just a pain to take the rad off again... Spesh as I got to get to work in the morning. Early start for me I guess.

You running Ext. Wastegate? If you are, make sure you have the metal flange fitted between the WG and the mani.

Happened to me first time I fitted my WG and sounded like a tractor too!

Jamie

Cheers but that's definitely there. Up early this morning, rad off. Checked mani lower bolts and they were not tight.... So tightened them up and all back together..and its fine. Fingers crossed.

Personally I blame n80jamie for not doing a proper job of checking the bolts. Lol x x x

tractor noises sounds like blowing to me matey!

did u use any paste at all? on any of the joining surfaces?

make sure all the surfaces are clean and give them a 1mm smear of paste ether side of gasket and do them up tight... like really tight...:)

from cold, start it up and before it gets too hot to handle put your fingers around all the joining surfaces, chances are you'll feel some puffing of exhaust gases or get your hands black sutty... that'll be where its blowing from!

Well originally it was from the mani as I saw some condensation being blown off the mani from a gap.

I take it you mean exhaust paste?

I made into work anyways. Just. Pulling off from petrol station the exhaust pumped out some blue smoke.... So that's 2 turbos now gone to a degree.

CHeers mate. The car was fine beforehand, just the turbo had gone slightly and i thought i'd replace it with my old one. So i can;t see it being anything else other than loose bolts etc

Just gotta take it all apart again and reseal with exhaust paste and tighten up good and proper and try again.........

ahh yeh true, see this is why i dont like doing jobs like that myself as i usualy cack it up somehow lol I've done many stupid things like splitting injector seals, not tightening a hub bolt up wich came off on the motorway and gave me crazy camber on 1 wheel and had to be toed home! im sure youll get it all sorted and youll be blasting it soon!

Dont use exhaust paste the heat comeing from the turbo will just laught at the paste lol...Did you say you have put new oem gaskets on? if not then i would of thought that was your problem.

I haven;t used new gaskets. Just the old OEM Metal ones off the car from before. They've been fine and should still be really...... shouldn;t they?

Commencing round 2. See what I can do with the gaskets and check the mani nuts. I recon the farting noise is the gas escaping through a gap between one if the gaskets.

Trying not to spend 80notes on 3 gaskets.