Tropical fish

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly pics are pretty shit black background and black sand plus lighting set up etc doesnt really allow good pics but heres a few of my new fish

First the "daddy". The oscar

DSCF1597.jpg

DSCF1604.jpg

DSCF1635.jpgNext

my red tailed black shark

DSCF1605.jpg

DSCF1626.jpg

Hard to get a pic of him but my Black Ghost knife. One of the most gracious swimming fish I've ever seen. see the vid after picDSCF1652.jpg

DSCF1649.jpg

Also missus talked me into buying a terrapin too :)

DSCF1664.jpg

And a vid of the 3 above fish

http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo208/b...%3DDSCF1661.mp4

Also got a nice black cat fish too but no pics of him yet. Got a really big 250ltr tank sat here too ready to set up. So hoping better lighting on this one brighter background and lighter sand should get some really good pics of them. and the terrapin can have the tank these are in now when he gets bigger :)

Over the past few weeks and months i've been adding Neons and Red Cherry Shrimp and some plants to the big tank, as well as some Corys to the fighter tank to help with the cleaning. I also have a couple of sickly fighters, so today I brought home the most immense white and purple Veil Tail fighter i've seen to date. so striking!

so, say hello to my newest friend:

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0068-1.jpg

Orange blue and white crown tail i got a few months back to replace a victim of fin rot:

DSC_0069-1.jpg

DSC_0070-1.jpg

Picked up the pink plant on the far left today aswell to add a nice contrast in the vegetation, coming along nicely:

DSC_0071-1.jpg

Got me some Red Cherries from a lovely Polish gentleman a while back:

DSC_0072-1.jpg

which have started to breed already! excuse the blurry pic of this adult:

DSC_0074.jpg

Overall effect:

DSC_0075.jpg

From the side, showing how heavily the rear plantation is coming back now that the plecos/ancistras are OUT!

DSC_0077.jpg

got 3 albino and 3 peppered corys in alternate cells for cleaning with the fighters:

cat2.jpg

Next up - probably gonna need another fighter, but mainly now its just slowly adding to the neon shoal every now and then to make it very substantial.

and let the shrimp breed like mad!

Phil.

thanks man.

figured out what was wrong with the moss before, it didnt like being up in the moving water, so pushed it further down and hey presto, much happier.

lost Sheldon today tho and Leonard is real rough lookin too, but other than that so far so good.

needs more neons tho.

more.

Phil.

indeed.

made the mistake of posting the corys on that betta forum too.

i now have a "worried" australian, worried that the advice i got from the store is, and i quote, "incorrect", as they have months of research into the matter that corys should be in a larger footprint than the fighter cells and should not be on their own as they will succumb to stress from being in an unnatural solitary existence and die.

so...the advice of staff from a successful business (no matter the personal feelings) whose owner and manager have MANY years experience and qualifications vs a few months research by an opinionated keyboard worrier...the corys are feeding and interacting with the fighters, Exotic wouldn't have sold them if they thought the cells were too small...ergo, shut up crazy person.

think its time to look for a better fish forum that aint full of yappy housewives from the states and australia. anyone know any good general fish sites?

Phil.

true man.

the ones on the betta forum are shocking tho, they're all weird obsessive arty farty nutters drawing pictures of fish and decorating their tanks with the worls's gawdiest gravel and tacky plastic toys and glass stones, it just looks so unnatural!!!!!!!!!!! all "oh wow, i totally LOVE your fish, he is so cute, what a wee cutie"... :D:) all they do is bitch about Pet Smart and talk shite about how often u should do water changes and how even a little stress will kill your betta....yeah, thats why i have 6 living together...idiots.

honestly, this one thread on fish on UKSC is more entertaining and informative than their whole site.

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC....whilst observing the tank last nite looking for any evidence of the fact i've added 11 flaming fish in the last week (u wouldnt even know the wee buggers hide so well! damn neons and cardinals) i noticed a whole TON of new shimplets! i knew they had started to breed as i had seen one or two, but last nite i found oodles of the wee heroes!!!! so chuffed! i put 48 in at the start and u had to look to find any, now all of a sudden there are red cherries everywhere! dead pleased!

Phil.

yeah there are a fair share of wierdos on some fish forums :D some really helpfull people as well tho!

ive finally got some fishies in mine:D woke up with a cunt of a hang over on sunday and had to keep myself occupied, so broke out the water test kits and amonia is finnaly down! that sobered me right up and i made a trip to the lfs for some bags to move my fish from my small tank and some water etc and baught a little cleaner shrimp too:D

CIMG0345.jpg

CIMG0347.jpg

hard to get a pic of this little guy as hes always hiding, as soon as he was introduced he went right into the little cave near the midde of the tank at the bottom right, exactly where i wanted him:D this is the first hes been out

CIMG0349.jpg

u can see the cleaners little cave in this pic, also added a few red leg hermits and some snails, nazereth (sp) i think? and a couple of turbo snails

CIMG0346.jpg

i have a wee starfish in there too but ive not seen him today ill get a pic when he pops out:D

Ive no tanks at present, too much money in motorbikes and doing a new frog tank but as and you shall receive lol

This was a tank I installed in a guys house and did all the servive work on once every 2 weeks, filter was external in the cabinet below and had it linked to a drain and then had the mains water pipe plumped into the top of the tank, easiest water changes ever, colud be seen in three different rooms

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

Link to some better photos

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...0309&type=3

Thats awesome :D i like

external filters a lot better then? going to get mine running in the next few days. How do you go about starting them. I've heared youve got to fill them with tank water before you start it etc

Whats the normal first start up procedure then?

Didnt play with the renas much so cant remember if they have button to prime or if its just suckion but the pinciple is the same.

Connect it all up with all media inside, place the tubes into the tank with water covering them, taps and fittings and get into position.

Open the taps and push mechanism to self prime the filter,

Allow all the air to come out, you know when this is done best if you have the return pip in the water in the tank and ou will see all bubbles coming out.

Once all air out switch on at wall and bobs your uncle.

keep you old filter running along side your new filter for at least a month to allow new filter to become dirty and cope with the waste

Hope that helps

mark

you should read my thread on the Betta forum, they are going ape about the corys being segregated. you'd think i was stabbing my fish with a rusty fucking screw reading their replies.

bear in mind tho these are the same clowns who told me not to keep 6 male fighters side by side in plain sight of oneanther as they would flare themselves to death......hmmmmmmm....in 10 months, not one stress related ailment....how odd, could it be that YOU WERE WRONG! fools.

too scared to try something new incase it works.

Phil.

ask and you shall receive.

Pics of my dads tank. Didnt get any of the hermits or the Cowie, and the Comet Grouper tends to hide from the big lad, but here we go:

Overall:

DSC_0067.jpg

SNAP!

DSC_0068.jpg

Adolescent Lionfish:

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Hiding Comet Grouper:

DSC_0076.jpg

Juvenile Lionfish (the way to tell the difference is in the stalks on the head):

DSC_0077.jpg

Cheeky Comet bumshot:

DSC_0078.jpg

Flounder:

DSC_0084.jpg

And the one we affectionately refer to as, The Big Lad. He could easily, easily kill you. Hence, no hands in the tank please!

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

There's no scale in the pics to compare the size of the Volitans Lionfish to, but he's easily the best part of a foot in size! Any questions please aim them at Mark, not me! :D

Phil.