Tropical fish

yes mate i literally do nothing on my car nowadays this has my focus lol

Pics will be up now theyve just uploaded please excuse the decor in the tanks theyve just been thrown together to get them in seen as though I've just moved house. getting into the landscaping side of things now going to get them looking good. Going to start growing java moss soon too which should be cool

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it is a talker. when we took it out the bag to put it in the tank it talked which was funny. Yes theres some big ones in there. The Marmoratus and Sorubi will get to 12-15" each as well as the syno's will grow large too. My oscars growing rapidly too. I love my community tank but its the rare big catfish that i love the most. The ageneiosis is my new thing getting another in a few weeks :)

couple of things man - not sure about tropical gobys, but the marine's sift the sediment, if tropicals are the same, i'd ask about the size of your gravel for him, may be too big.

that humbug is class, as mark said, he had one, they're uber!

i was reading up on red tails last week, they're not meant to be kept in anything less than a 7ft tank as they get so big but mark never had any issues with his.

be careful gettin into the aquascaping side of things - the more i look into it the more AMAZING it looks and i get these bad ideas for my own tank and thoughts of relocating some of my plants to aid the aesthetics!!! lol its crazy. my java moss has utterly exploded, and all without the aid of CO2!

finally, can we get some pics of the over all set ups man?? im nosey to see how the complete tanks look, i wana see what u see!!! i love the look of a whole tank!

Phil.

Yeah it was always the big ugly unusual ones i went for too, kinda miss the tanks at the min but no time and wanting to put the money in the cars/bike at the

Get some full shots of the tanks up mate.

You will be looking some big tanks soon haha

haha no way my tanks are a mess at the min. well actually the community tank looks good and the bigger fish tank is just basic. couple of chunks of bogwood, a few fake plants and a hidie hole i simply name "humbug's Layer" as hes always in there lol. Try and keep it simple cause theres some big fish in there that need space to move around. But the marmoratus tank is a mess. just 18 tropical plants shoved in there to keep him happy for now. Plus a Partition to seperate the tiny 3" SP(3) from the rather larger big mouthed Carnivorous Marmoratus lol

Nah red tails dont grow big at all mate. About 4-6" tops. Mines the biggest my LFS has seen at just over 6". The silver sharks get much much bigger you'll need a 6ft tank for them but the red tails are tiny things lol

Humbugs layer, love it.

Well when yo get them sorted get some photos up.

Red tails average 6" but Ive come across quite a few hitting over the 6" but its more their aggressiveness that it the issue, just one to keep an eye on

yeh i lost my ghost knife cause he was stressing it out. Luckily all the fish in there are much bigger than him so hopefully he wont be a problem. Luckily he tends to mind his own business but if he ever gets a bit too big for his boots Oscar sorts him out :lol: and hes one fish you dont want to mess with lol

yes they dont get that big, but i refer you to the experts below, 48" tank size minimum.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4725

they are beautiful tho, i love them, but after reading that article not even my dad's tank is big enough for one let alone my own, so i can safely say i wont be adding any lol.

my next move is a bulb change, think the marine T5s are doing more harm than good as mark and i discussed the other nite. time for some planted bulbs me thinks.

also, fancy some blue shrimp and yellow shrimp from beeshrimp.co.uk, they am uber!

Phil.

that breeding conditions must have room for movement because mine have bred for a second time here lol.

would need to get a decent test kit, tbh its probably long overdue.

regretting planting that big broadleafed fecker right the front, bloody stupid place for it, but not sure about moving it as its probably well rooted. but it totally hides the annubis which is starting to grow through it. see, aquascaping balls up 101, didnt plan it out very well lol.

Phil.

Just turn powerhead and filter off bro, let everything settle, very gently pull the plant outof the gravel from the base of the plant, you will soon feel how well rooted it is, replant it and turn filter and powerhead back on after an hour or so

thanks bro, thats actually given me a bit of confidence about moving. gonna leave everything on the right hand side, all part of this rule of thirds when designing a layout, mega heavy planted on the right and at the rear i think will be the idea, leaving the annubis to populate the foreground.

i might look into getting an inline external heater, then i'll remove the internal one and relocate that big broad leafed plant to that rear area of the tank, but cant really do it with the heater still there or it'll burn it....as i found out when i burnt myself on it a few weeks back lol.

thanks for the advice bro! dead chuffed! every night this week when i've been watching the west wing i've been distracted by looking at that damn plant and thinking...hmmmmm u shouldnt have been planted there lol.

Phil.

For some reason the 200w heaters are dearer than the 300w heaters, normally id say go for 300w, wont be missed, but i dont think the piping off your external filter is big enough to take it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=hydor+heater&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&_odkw=external+tropical+heater&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

well pulled the big broad leaf up yesterday...by fuck what a mess.

8 hours later and it still hadn't settled.

then i couldn't get the plant to stay planted. so at 11 last nite i was STILL fighting with it. ended up cutting the roots off at an inch in length, then put a lead weight around the roots and sunk it best i could.

hopefully by the time i get home tonight it will all have settled, and i bought two more bags of fine black gravel that i will layer on top of most of the substrate to cover the mess that is currently there as a mix of soil and gravel.

on the plus side, once it all settles this week i'll actually be able to see the annubis.

Phil.

ah glad theres a topic on tropics!!!

we have 2 tanks at home, the littlun is my mrs's and just has pink things in, my tank has my pride and joy...

dr zoidberg the red clawed crayfish!!!

claws.jpg

i have fish in there too, a big plec, a gourami, mollies, platys, tetras, disposable really as sometimes they get eaten!!!

heres a few pics of the tank...

when it was dry...

building.jpg

first fill up...

built.jpg

baby zoid...

babyzoid.jpg

the tanks...

tanks.jpg

gourami.jpg

plec.jpg

life.jpg

phase2.jpg

zoid.jpg

zoidclose.jpg

will get some nicer pics, got a new camera the other day :)

holy shit he's huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge! class!

i relocated that big broad leafed plant to the rear of the tank on sunday, fucking disaster. what a mess.

however, after inserting an extra filter for a few days, i finally got the water cleared, washed a fresh bag of gravel and have covered over the messy areas and tidied up with it in general, covering the base of bits of wood etc.

so, now i can actually see the annubis and hopefully the broad leaf will send out fresh roots and be happy beside the amazon swords.

gonna pay a visit to Exotic Aquatics tomorrow for some advice and food, never know what i may fancy while im there lol.

Phil.