Tropical fish

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Looking good mate. Does your skimmer not have the little paddle thing on the outlet? Or is it just the angle of the pic?

Im in the middle of the last water change on my current tank, the 4 footer is getting set up in a few days :D

looks good man! nice size!

think im gonna go get about 30 or 40 Pentazona barbs at the weekend.

been loosing a neon or two a week, because they're the shittest fish evar. also, bloody marble hatchets have all jumped out, well, 6 of the 10 of them. bearing in mind there's covers and only tiny gaps, they are accurate wee f**ks.

so bugger it, gonna bulk it up with Pentzonas. because they're immense!

Phil.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive still not set up my new tank! Work has been mental for a few weeks. Dying to get some fish back in there but pointless if im gonna switch tanks.

Anyway heres a couple of pics. This tank is well matured now with only a couple of starfish and a few shrimps and the clean up crew in there im bored looking at it.

photo-18.jpg

Fts

photo-17.jpg

Theres also a hitch hiker crab in there that came on some coral its eating my fucking mushrooms and zoanthids and upsetting everything else when i catch the little fucker im going to deep fry him. He sits peering out the rocks to me then shuffles away when i move. I swear ive seen him smiling at me!

Thats a toadstool mate, its sulking just now because that crab is all over it picking at it. My clowns used to host it!

your tanks lookin sweet mate its a really addictive hobby aint it?

My akimmer doesnt give me any microbubbles but it has been playing up tje last couple of days im gonna have to pull it apart and give it a good clean. U could try a wee torch coral mate, that will brighten it up a treat! Good beginer lps and your lighting will be up to the job

A lot of tanks get really bad algae blooms during and after the cycle. Mines has never had hair algae or cyno everything has been pretty easy and straight forward except a bout of white spot, the tank had to fallow with no fish for 12 weeks, its been nearer 20 weeks now lol my shrimps love it tho i see my peppermint shrimp out front everyday, when there was fish in there id be lucky to see him 1ce a week in the dark

I got my cousin into marine fish and he got a 180ltr ehiem tank, hes had nothing but problems from the get go from pest algaes to whitespot. The whole tank was very poorly and he left me in charge and fucked off to magaluf with everything dying including a toxic box fish that polutes the water if it dies. I had to put it out of its misery before it affected anything else. While he was away i switched his salt to d+d and cleaned the whole tank and rescaped it and added another cheap powerhead and its looked amazing since. If he done that to mines when i was on holiday id have went off my nutbut tbh i done him a massive favour lol

Thinking of an upgrade already haha

Id love a big tank but im top flat in a glasgow tennement recently refurbished by mctaggarts builders so i barely trust the floor as it is lol.

Good luck with the househunt mate hoping to be in that position next year myself and get out of this place, i hate it.

• 5 weeks later...

Wers the pics!

If u want to pop down 1 nite ill give u some coraline scrapings, my rocks are caked in it!

I was in waterworld lastweek and couldnt resist these little beauties

photo-26.jpg

A stunning pair of true percula clowns, wanted a pair like this for ages with the really dark lines and mega bright orange! defo my fav breed of clowns. they are hosting in my toadstool and finger corals. Ive even seen them hosting a powerhead haha im gonna need to get an anemone.

Looking good mate!

Have you had the skimmer apart mate? See under the cylinder you have the little nozzle on the end of the pipe from the pump(were the bubbles come from) if that isnt pointing driectly upwards it will push the bubbles underneath and into the outlet into the tank. The little nozzle isnt a very tight fit and can wriggle round a wee bit causing microbubbles, ive had to adjust mines a few times

Theres a little bit of pipe that comes out of the pump to the inside of the cylinder, there should be a wee angled pice of pipe on the end of that to direct the bubbles upward. If it isnt pointing upwards the bubbles scatter everywhere, if you dont have it im surprised youve been producing any skimmate lol

That must be the answer to the microbubbles.

Im actually thinking of extending mine so it sits a wee bit higher.

Your lightly stocked atm so i wouldnt imagine it would pull much out. Mines the same, you know you can adjust it yeah? You can adjust the height of the overflow over the skimmer cup. Therse a little white plastic screw inside to tighten it up at the level u want.

• 4 weeks later...

6???? fuckin 6?????

just testing them, 6 for £10 was the offer on both of them so thought that would do for today.

also bro, that new maidenhead, fucking MADNESS on a saturday! fucking pricks lifting kids up to look into tanks when NONE of them actually keep fish! just nosey wankers who COMPLETELY block the isles with prams and shite! total bollox! nobody buying anything, just being fucking annoying and passing time! wankers.

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

I got fish too :D

4f93745d.jpg

typical they were all hiding when i took the picture lol

I also have another tank with a pair of breeding angels as well

:( fuck knows what happened but I started loosing fish suddenly day before yesterday and now have 12 less.... Lost 8 last night ?

Perfect water readings, filtration everything in a well long established tank and for some reason they just started fycking up and dying :(

What the fuck? Had to make some drastic decisions this morning assuming there was some sort of toxin in the tank and have moved little of what's left into my old tank... Pretty much starting from scratch again I've stripped the big tank of everything and have started from complete scratch....

Even the fish shop couldn't believe it and they know me well ... I fkin hate animals sometimes :(

My 6 year oldson is distraught ..

Rant over. :(