Tropical fish

Wanted to do this for ages but always ended up spending money on my car

now im saving a bit thought id finially get round to getting a tank

Here it is

301266_10150302118617239_609497238_7891481_1563839475_n.jpg

Just waiting a few days for it to warm up properly and water to settle etc then getting some fish for it

Know of a few people on here with tropical fish so thought id start a thread so we can get some pics up :)

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any ideas of what tropical fish will be going in?

not yet mate just going to go to the local tropical fish dealer and see what we like

my parents have a tank ill get some pics but looks like the light is fooked at the moment expensive hobby :-)

yeh it aint cheap mate but really good to have

Do you want any Terrapins matey?? as there is a bloke at work with two he dousnt want.

Same colour as your car a nice optional extra there for you dude. :ph34r:

:( yeh I've been looking for some optional extra terrapins for years hook me up B)

ive got tropical fish, really nice when the tanks clean and all is going well, but a pain in the arse when the fish gets ill or the bulb goes.

Jack

cool get some pics up. and yeh its deffo a hobby youve got to have heart for or you could get very pissed off.

congrats on your tank, looks good size for starter tank. is it juwel or fluval? or alternative? looks good though

i used to keep tropical fish my piranahs:

SDC10328.jpg

and this is when it was a community tank with over 60 fish in it + a cray fish + a baby snakehead

24082009446.jpg

snakehead:

24082009447.jpg

24082009445.jpg

might get another tank soon but this time not so big,

not yet mate just going to go to the local tropical fish dealer and see what we like

neon tetra's are always good and brighten up a tank, but beware you must have a few as they like to be in shoals :ph34r: any tetra is good for first timers really :( and dont get guppy's as they breed like there's no 2moro :S haha!

I'm currently running 3 tanks, two are my own and the third i had to set up this week to house two ancistrus catfish that belong to Mark until he is ready to take them as they were destroying my big tank.

First up here is my newest tank, she's a 200L running an external Eheim 2213 pump/filter and 4 T5 Marine bulbs. The plan for this tank is LOTS and LOTS of small fish and hundreds of Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) and heavily planted. As u can see, its getting there. I got a bit side tracked with mark's catfish and I added a Queen Arabesque Pleco before realising it would hunt the RCS, so i need to remove him before i can add those. The two ancistrus were making a massive mess and were eating my Amazon Sword plants, so I have now removed them to a seperate smaller tank until Mark is ready for them, which is where i will move the pleco too also if i can catch him. then there is nothing stopping the master plan lol! The substrate is fine black gravel over JBL soil with some clay balls thrown in for good measure, and the tank receives EasiCarbo on a daily basis also for the plants, this will be supplemented with some Ferropol (spelling) soon too to also aid in the growth of the plants. The swords and the Cryptocorns ann Anubus are all showing fresh growth which is good, as are the other various plants and moss.

anyways, pics:

Overall view of the big tank:

DSC_0067.jpg

Some of the livestock:

DSC_0068.jpg

Overall effect again:

DSC_0069.jpg

Best part was, the entire set up was free(bar the live stock)! Mark's fiances' mum wanted rid, so it came to me and now resides in my man-den beside my room! win! The current livestock figures for it are as follows:

Neons x 36

Wild Green Neons x 3

Ember Tetras x 17

Mosquito Rasboras x 32

Pygmy Corrydoras x 6

Danio x 1

Otocinclus x 6

Amanno Shrimp x 12

Queen Arabesque Pleco x 1

Blue Rasboras x 34

I plan to add more neons and more ember tetras as they shoal together really well and the plan was for them to shoal through the heavy vegetation, so should look mega, and also the breeding groups of RCS.

This is the second tank i've had to set-up to stop the ancistruses eating and shitting over everything! as u can see it's rather hastily thrown together.

DSC_0070.jpg

You can see the Starlight Ancistrus on the pump and the Albino behind it:

DSC_0071.jpg

And this of course is my one-off custom fighter tank, home to 6 bettas and 7 amanno shrimp:

DSC_0072.jpg

My dad's rocking a marine tank with 2 yellow tangs, 2 lion fish, 1 Volitans lion fish, a white flounder and some hermits but we are having nothing but bother with it.

Phil.

no, because it looks utter bollox. lol

two corals left, one of which isnt happy, and nothing but live rock and sand.

cant figure it out, damn thing gets regular salt water and RO changes, its running a monster light system, two power heads and a completely separate sump in the cab underneath. we also have some sort of nasty hitch hiker fucker killing fish, and i cant catch the fuck, or our luck with it gets worse.

general fish health has got alot better tho as we've evened out the levels and all 3 lions are ALOT happier. but we lost a tang and a copperband in the space of two days, for no reason, and there was damage on the copperband, hence i think we have a predator, not sure.

its also riddled with tasias, damn things. need to get the lemon juice out to them.

Phil.

ooo i love tropical fish i only have a small tank now but still nice to watch.

Dont forget to get some cleaning fish Steve, tank get dirter then you think even with a filter. i'v just got two new ones and cleaned up nicely now :ph34r:

Ive been getting a lot of brissle worms latley, all my turbo snails are gone now and i have starfish that arnt star shaped anymore, so i have a bit of a problem in mines too:( corals seem to be holding out but im just gonna start a fresh with new live rock and corals wirh my new tank and keep my small tank for som pirranhas:d

Zoe speaks the truth, cleaners are invaluable, hence my Otos and corrys and amannos.

bucket - sounds like a good plan man. the bristles are comin outta the live rock man, u get a lot of hitch hikers in there, keep an eye out for claws hiding in holes in the rock.

also, u say your turbo snails kicked it - any damage to the shells? and any random burrows appeared in the live rock or sand??

Phil.

Yeah i know mate i picked a few of them out the live rock with the mrs tweezers the other day :ph34r:

The turbo snails shells are fine but theres nothing in them, thetes 1 left.

Thete are a few burrows in the live rock hence why im gonna start a fresh with my big tank

Ill keep an eye for claws in there too, thanks dude

a few fish my bro did have -

had to get rid of this one as it would eat everything :S

gulper.png

he paid £50 for one of these and it died the next day, lol! got a full refund though :(

biara.jpg

and this little beauty, but had to get rid of it again as it was the most scatty fish ever!

1-blue-whale-catfish.jpg

will get some pics up 2moro of the strange things he has now :ph34r:

cheers madmax!

Bucket - the reason i asked about shells and burrows appearing is that they would be typical signs of a mantis shrimp, which is an out and out nasty bastard. at night, if u hear "pop" "pop" "pop" from the tank, that'll be one smashing out the live rock to make its burrow bigger. however, the fact that the shells are still in tact would suggest possibly not a mantis shrimp then. if u were picking out rock crabs it could have been those that got the snails, if they get big enough they can do serious damage to fish. Mantis shrimp however are bonified fish killers.

and starting with a fresh tank may not solve much, if u put fresh live rock in you'll get fresh hitch hikers, and larvae can take a long time to mature to a stage when u will more easily spot critters in your tank, our marine tank was running 6 months + before the mantis appeared...figure that one lol!

just some cautionary advice from some issues we've had lol.

Phil.