upgrading suspension on my sr?

i can't afford coilovers being a student, but i want the thing to stick to the road a bit better. the 13 year old rusty suspension isn't saying much for me. so i'm thinking about upgrading in a few months

i don't want to go too low, probably about 40mm max? as my remus backbox seems to smash against things with the 25mm drop i have already :p

can someone recommended a decent shock/spring setup, with probably about a £250 budget?

Most people will recommend a anti lift kit £65ish and a rear anti roll bar £160ish then I guess some new gas shocks and a basic set of springs (rsr-tein etc) but they will set u back more than £250 alone I should think,

If your springs arent broke and shocks arent leaking id look at the other two bits first plus maybe get your tracking set, and possibly new bushes??

Be worth getting more than just my opoinion tho

thats Just my 2 pence

I wouldn't bother with springs and shocks first. Your SR is already slightly lowered so bonus there, my setup:

-GT Front brace (£20)

-Cusco rear brace (£75)

-Fully Polybushed Front ARB (£50)

-Whiteline ALK (£65)

-Whiteline RARB (£130)

-Toyo T1R 15" (£30 each)

Quite a bit of money there but well worth doing, car handles like it's on rails now and tyres are the limiting factor. If I had the money I'd love to get a set of Meisters but I can't justify spending so much when I'm a student!

Good tyres, Front and Rear braces, and Polybushed FARB are probably the most cost effective handling mods IMO

The Whiteline goodies are however superb!

cheers guys and amjad i just had two new tyres put on. my neighbour who's a tyre fitter told me the t1's don't last very long? :lol: probably gonna go for something simple like a strut brace first though, i just don't wanna chuck too much money at the car as i only use the thing on weekends really.

i'd probably get the speedline's refurbished before i put a set of new fancy tyres on, i can't even use my spare because the lacquer's peeled inside. i hate keep posting threads up and i don't even have the money :lol:

KYB New SR Special's shocks are great if you can get hold of some along with some decent springs.

My first Starlet had those shocks, some -40mm springs, front and rear strut braces, 195/45/15 Toyo Proxes T1R's and it handled great and was very predictable.

I don't have experience of a rear ARB but as you will see most people rate it very highly.

think i just made your 4000th post well done :lol:

don't really want to go to ott with the car, i'm only racking up a few years no claims while i'm at uni, till i can roll with the big boys. i just feel the rusty tte springs with the wank standard shocks really aren't doing it justice, plus it's one advisory that's never gonna disappear off an mot certificate.

was thinking something along the lines of a gt front brace, tein springs and kyb shocks. is there anything to look out for if buying secondhand suspension?

think i just made your 4000th post well done :)

don't really want to go to ott with the car, i'm only racking up a few years no claims while i'm at uni, till i can roll with the big boys. i just feel the rusty tte springs with the wank standard shocks really aren't doing it justice, plus it's one advisory that's never gonna disappear off an mot certificate.

was thinking something along the lines of a gt front brace, tein springs and kyb shocks. is there anything to look out for if buying secondhand suspension?

Buying 2nd hand suspension is always a risk, I took it and ended up with good suspension, others haven't had the same luck.

Strut braces are a good easy cheap mod.

Not to go too far off topic, but with my Starlet I found the biggest let down was the brakes, it went well for what it was and handling was great but the brakes were rubbish!

You deffo need some lol!!! My car handles shit with Meister R. I think my Diesel Starlet would give it a hard time lol. You make me laugh everytime I go near Sainsbury!

yeah that event inspired me Raz, realised it doesn't hold the road aswell i thought it could :)

It could be anything, the geometry/tracking could need setting up, something else on the car may need attention, tyres, bushes, anything. Just because you have coilovers doesn't mean anything, you have to have everything set up properly else it's not going to work as it should. And it usually takes a while adjusting the settings until you get it where it feels right for you.

Definately something wrong.

The first time I test drove my CRX with them on, before any adjustments, it turned out that someone at the garage had adjusted one side to nearly fully hard and the other to soft, was all over the place trying to accelerate lol.

Get the tracking done, and get the suspension set up a bit better, usually the rear is a bit softer than the front, don't go too hard else you will just bounce around, what I did was stick it on the middle setting and work from there (I like it firm but not like a bouncy castle).

Also check that there isn't actually anything wrong (any play in the wheels).

And it is very very hard to keep it in a straight line when accelerating hard, And at higher speeds it becomes very very unstable.

So should i get the Tracking done first?

Everyone raves about Meister, didn't you think anything could be wrong? :S

And it is very very hard to keep it in a straight line when accelerating hard, And at higher speeds it becomes very very unstable.

So should i get the Tracking done first?

you will need suspension geometry setup. tracking is part of the setup so you wont need to do it seperatley.

costs 90+vat round here.

you will need suspension geometry setup. tracking is part of the setup so you wont need to do it seperatley.

costs 90+vat round here.

That's expensive, it's about £40 for tracking where I work.