that sounds familiar. i know Dave b always said to fit them behind the gearbox. alsso you want the tip of the sensor (the part inside the exhaust) pointing down at a bit of an angle and the end out of the exhaust pointing up.

Reduces the life of the sensor and at £50-70? A pop i wouldnt want to comprimize it

Its also got something to with moisture or w/e falling on to sensor at the 90 degree angle and damaging it/reducing its life so thats why they say place them in the 12 o'clock vertical position at a certain length away

@jamie how did you get the cable into the cabin from there?

From there you can run it straight up the bulkhead/baqck of engine bay then through a grommet to your dash area. Just remember to cable tie all the way up to reduce the risk of the cable coming loose and hitting the floor.

Jamie

36 inches is only a guideline- they say that because the closer you put it to the engine, the more turbulent the gases are and hence the reading from the sensor may be affected. But you do get a more true reading of the exhaust gas mixture the closer you put it to the engine. I work with these type of sensors at uni, and they can be sensitive to knocks and bumps so bear that in mind when you decide where to put it :)