Mild Steel or Stainless Steel?

Exhaust Manifold Materials  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks everyone, seems like mild steel is the favourite....but only beacause of the reliability....If there was a stainless steel one which was proven seriously hard wearing, things may be different ;)

Mike

Good thread mate, kind of a bit drawn into tihs myself, going to be ordering my mani soon from Zisco.

Anyone had any bad things with their stainless? I much prefer the look of stainless, but if mild is going to be more durable then i'll go for that.

i think if you get good stainless you ll be fine ie zisco, race tech like i say i ve had my zisco one for over 2 years now and no problems with it at all.

Thanks for that mate, I thought that would be the case but just wanted to make sure and get some opinions on it.

Like Sock's said, when you mention stainless people think that it will crack because of the amount of cheap ebay crap out there.

I had a mild steel manifold on my 106 heat wrapped it and it pretty much fell to pieces cracks and holes everywhere cant remember the make but it wasn't a cheap crap one either. got a ss one on the Glanza atm one weld looks a bit

iffy but nothing 10 seconds wouldn't fix

I've had a WEPR mild steel mani running on my car well over a year now and it's only begun to lightly rust. A quick reprint in high temp black followed by high temp lacquer and it will look class again :)

Forget mild steel and stainless....im going for scedule 40 its bombproof and used in alot of rally cars

Schedule 40 relates to the thickness of the pipe (3.68mm for 1 1/2" pipe).... it still has to be made of metal though!!

Road runner mani's were sch40 and they still cracked - just not through the thickness of the actual pipe but yes the thickness of the usual cheap manifolds are not sch40 and are too thin.