Mild Steel or Stainless Steel?

Exhaust Manifold Materials  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ss...

hate mild. unless heatwrapped looks shite..

no rust ftw

Who gives a shit what it looks like lol?

The problem is most of the people that makes manifolds for Starlets is they use a cheap shit grade of stainless.

Cast ftw

My wepr mild steel one is top notch. only thing that could be changed is the angle the turbo sits at. would be nice to have the compressor housing facing the front of the car more instead of sitting in line with the block. i have heat wrapped it though i must add

People associate stainless with the shite u see on ebay lol.

If made with a decent grade of stainless and made properly...

Who gives a shit what it looks like lol?

The problem is most of the people that makes manifolds for Starlets is they use a cheap shit grade of stainless.

Cast ftw

Id care, if its covered in rust... Looks crap lol

So what is the difference betwenn the race-tech mani and the ebay stuff?

quality of materials?, quality of welding joints?

Has anyone had a Race-tech or wepr crack on them?

I want to cover all bases with this....

Mike

Agreed ^^^^

Ceramic coat as much as physically possible. Mild is easy to work with plus its quite forgiving. Stainless looks amazing but it is a fine art to master how to bend and manipulate stainless.

Had mild steel wepr CT9 before, going with mild steel wepr TD04 this time.

Sure it rusts up a bit, nothing a wire brushing won't sort. But SS also loses its bling once the heat gets to it and has a tendancy to crack and not just the cheap toyosports ebay stuff as we've seen on Jamie1st setup and others.

I see more stuff about SS problems than MS.

So what is the difference betwenn the race-tech mani and the ebay stuff?

quality of materials?, quality of welding joints?

Has anyone had a Race-tech or wepr crack on them?

I want to cover all bases with this....

Mike

Check my build thread, page 5 I think..

Anyone no prices on zircotek ceramic coating?

ive got a wepr mild steel tdo4 mani sending it off to be coated on weekend going to have the downpipe done maybe the turbo housing aswel :D

Dear David

Thank you for your enquiry via our website. I apologise for not replying sooner.

Zircotec® coatings are proven for application to a variety of materials providing a high performance ceramic thermal barrier coating, which improves the efficiency of exhausts and prevents local component and chassis damage from radiated heat. In recent testing surface temperatures were reduced by ~33% for our Performance Range with typical under bonnet temperature reductions of 30oC.

Our coatings are not paints but ceramics applied using a plasma spraying process which ensures an extremely well adhered, durable coating with an extremely hard and durable surface that is highly resistant to vibration, mechanical damage and thermal shock. The full process, which is suitable for both new and used exhaust systems, consists of: masking where the coating is not required, surface preparation, spraying of base coat and finally spraying of ceramic thermal barrier coat. As we use plasma spraying process the coating is to the external surfaces only with no preparatory work required by you.

The natural colour of our coating is white/cream, but many of our customers call for the very highest level of performance offered by Performance White™ but also require a coating with a finish that can be more easily maintained. To meet this need Zircotec has developed a range of high quality multi-coat colour finishes that are applied over the top of our standard plasma-sprayed ceramic. The full range of colours can be seen on the attached link (http://www.zircotec.com/page/-_performance_colours/47). Our Primary range is only available in a matt black finish.

Regarding pricing; for a Toyota Starlet 4 cylinder compact manifold the cost to coat is £160 for Primary Black™; £228 for Performance White™ or £262 for any from our Performance Colours™ range. For the turbo housing the cost to coat is £91 for Primary Black™; £130 for Performance White™ or £150 for any from our Performance Colours™ range. For other pipes we charge by diameter and length, simply measure the entire pipe length and use the following table:

Price per 30cms

(£)

Pipe diameter

Primary Black™

Performance

White™

Performance

Colours™

< 50mm

< 75mm

<100mm

<150mm

Prices exclude shipping and VAT. Turnaround time is approximately 10 working days with payment accepted via credit card or bank transfer.

Edited by Dave D Glanza V