4WD and LSD Model Starlets

Hi all,

As I continue to scratch the itch to buy a GT Turbo or Glanza was after a bit of info.

I've had performance front wheel drive cars in the past and the inevitably always happens when you add more power - wheelspin and no traction.

I've always told myself no point in adding more power if its not useable (although that never stopped me in the past!). I know you can expect a little bit in gears 1,2 and 3 is a bit much!

Can someone answer a few questions for me;

- Which GT Turbo / Glanza models came with the LSD and does it make much difference? As I suspect an aftermarket LSD will be v expensive. I'll prob be looking to buy one with LSD.

- Did Toyota ever release a 4WD Starlet, if so what models?

- Anyone done a 4WD conversion? What's involved or is this big bucks

All help appreciated

The LSD was available on all 4efte models i believe as an optional extra so its just a case of searching for one or buying a box and everything needed seperate to fit.

As for 4x4 yes they were sold as ep*5 models but only in Japan and only with the 4efe n/a engine it is possible to convert to 4efte and has been done several times.

hth

Rob

If you click the link in my sig dude i own a 4wd ep85 it is currently being turbo'd i also had a v with an lsd. the oem lsd box was very good tbh and made cornering miles better than my non lsd starlets. the 4wd is active 4wd so the back only drives if the front slips. that said it handles exellently imo. the down side is the 4wd box is a short ratio box and so becomes a bit of a screamer at 70 in 5th and to have all the ratios altered so the 4wd still works is a pain. for a daily fwd with lsd will be great for a track slut 4wd is better but then the 4wd is becoming alot harder to aquire now as it was never a massivly popular car in the first place.

Cheers guys, some great help. If the standard LSD is good then I don't need to worry about adding an aftermarket quaife or similar. I'll defo want one with LSD though I think as will make for a much better ride.

I'll probably look at fitting a WALK too - every little helps but as you say in the wet no hope!

Thanks Shorty - I'll have a read up on your threads :)

cheers Rob :)

Guest Enzo

ive got a glanza with a quafe and it hands out decent skills priming it etc but you can still overload the tyres mid bend or light them up if you dont know what your doin - thats with 200 od at the fly,

also have a 4paw ep95 turbo, this is a lot better for getting off the line quicker - personaly i also think they handle better - im thinking its something to dow with more weight lower down but they feel more planted.

as shorty has said they are rare to find but not impossible, - you can also alter the ratios to get over the short gearing issue, something that could be done when doing the convo.

heres a link to the 4paw ep9* secion of the site
/>http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=233