Budget Build - One Grandza - TD04!

So one of my mates had an Audi A3 1.6 with a broken gearbox that he picked up for pennies (he was originally going to break it for spares), he got offered a swap for a glanza

warning, this is a bit of a rutter

dfd9a2c1.jpg

f50d4028.jpg

its had a bit of love at some point with a nurspec exhaust, d2s, nardi wheel and a few other bits

8f84132e.jpg

37138d67-1.jpg

8a0d2717.jpg

Im guessing it had a front exhaust at some point too:

ca7b3333.jpg

So the idea for this is get power, without a lot of money. keep it looking like a dog, and suprise quite a few people

so the civic rad went on:

c23eb07f.jpg

8d499f75.jpg

The fpr was cable tied on:

c23eb07f.jpg

The boost guage was connected and wired in:

94d4a45b.jpg

And the rest of the kit, bought for £160, bargain:

f87c0ab6.jpg

a0f4fc80.jpg

ca365ad6.jpg

So pretty soon there should be a good 200bhp or just over. costing him well under a grand! Bargain!

Its a build of bodges, as his main concern is not to spend a lot of money.

But its going well so far! will provide more updates as we get going

Edited by TrisK
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That kit was cheap! :o

cheap is the main factor for what we can do.

he did have to buy all the gaskets and lines from ricky and i think that came to about the same tbh! but still should be a good run

do people remeber where you could get japspeed exhaust for really cheap from?

can anyone post up the link?

The car is a bit rough, with the whole in the bumper, the mismatching door and general laquer peel.

but its a glanza none the less, and therefore deserves a bit of love

To be fair - she surprised me, she made 155horse at the fly running 0.6bar when i took her to get dynoed last month O.o and i cant actually figure out how in my mind, theres no boost leaks so the ct9 must be ruined, rather large cracks in the wastegate perhaps? perfect excuse to td04 it though ;)

Ok so a few updates on this:

Car had a broken passenger drive shaft, so bought a new on from Iddy

Fitted it up and had a small issue

b7474636.jpg

ddbe34f3.jpg

It snapped the new shaft in about 5 minutes of driving

So will got to rebuilding one working shaft from the two broken ones

8fa3661b.jpg

And we managed to bodge an outer cv joint over an inner. So we had a working shaft

We then noticed that the rear engine mount was broken (why it kept breaking shafts) so that got taken off and welded. And is back together and on. And once again she drove herself down the road

Next the td04 kit got put on. Only a few photos this time. As by now we were fighting the light

f70ce298.jpg

4cdd2997.jpg

And now it's all bolted on and working. Just need to do some adjustment to the actuator to actually make it boost

As its spun all the way out. And only makes a few psi. Can't hear any leaks or anything though :/

Also does anyone recognise the manifold design? What brand is it?

We've compared a few images of a toyo with my own, but theres a few noticeable differences - so who knows - and as tris missed it - I'll point out that the brake lines were also discovered to be braided :)

Too right :) just been turning up the boost today but not going too extreme, wanna make sure the mount holds and need new boots on the driveshaft - as they're seeping a tiny bit of grease though nothing to worry about for the amount :)

It's at 0.6 currently which is a vast improvement on the 0.6 that I was running at on the ct9 (had a bad boost leak that I hadn't located in the inter cooler hardpiping - precariously covered by the previous owner) but she'll be wound up to 0.8 and eventually a bar when I get round to coming across to the uk mainland to have her mapped which should be in September just before JAE :D

You'll enjoy the td04 mate :) worth it for sure :)

Guess I should do a future plans list though :)

Fit new discs and pads

Adjustable panard rod

Rear anti roll bar

550cc injectors

Exedy clutch

Emanage blue

Mapping.

That should be enough to keep me going until JAE ;) at which point she will be mapped (as I need to travel to uk mainland for mapping :/ )

You'll enjoy the td04 mate :) worth it for sure :)

Guess I should do a future plans list though :)

Fit new discs and pads

Adjustable panard rod

Rear anti roll bar

550cc injectors

Exedy clutch

Emanage blue

Mapping.

That should be enough to keep me going until JAE ;) at which point she will be mapped (as I need to travel to uk mainland for mapping :/ )

rear arb you will love makes such a difference ajustable panhard rod i have one to fit lol got some good plans for it mate good luck ;)

550cc injectors wont work with emanage blue. but you dont need 550's anyway from what ive read its just overkill.

ill be using less on a td05, probs 440/460's whatever i get hold of.

i have an emanage blue by the way that i can sell you. pm me if your interested.

cheers

Edited by snails ep91

550cc injectors wont work with emanage blue. but you dont need 550's anyway from what ive read its just overkill.

ill be using less on a td05, probs 440/460's whatever i get hold of.

i have an emanage blue by the way that i can sell you. pm me if your interested.

cheers

It seems I've been looking in the wrong place for advice on the injectors, though I'd looked them up before I joined the forum so there we go lol - recommend a size? And I'll PM you when I'm not actually at work haha.