Head Removal/Valve Stem Seal Replacement

hi mate heres a guide to removing the head Clicky just remember to keep the cam caps in order so they go back on the same ones they came off i used to number them with tipex. Then a case of useing a valve stem remove tool not sure on the timing as not had to do that yet :)

Edited by akyakapotter

remove the head as per guide, you will need a valve spring compressor to remove the springs, number absoloutly everything coming off especially cam caps valves and springs, before removing the cams i would suggest making where the teeth on the cams meet with tipex.

if you have standard head bolts you will need an m9 multipline tool and if replacing with arp bolts will need an m10 :)

as for stem seals i would get in touch with zisco for some uprated ones :)

Lol cam caps are pre numbered marked with an arrow an i for inlet e for exhuast and numbers for their order. buckets shims springs and valves how ever are crucial to be marked mate. collets for the valve springs dont matter either though as they are all the same ;)

Got a pic rob? Also on the gears of the cams there's two punch marks on one cam and one punch mark on the other. Line them up so they meet and that's your cam timing done. Also I know this is only me but I would still do the compressed air method. Saves disturbing the head and also you don't need to re grind in valves etc. If your planning on getting another engine to forge anyway why bother disturbing it?

There is a pick in the link to the tgtt guide to removing the head of fitting the service bolt I dont have one to hand but I do have the TOYOTA work shop manual and supplement for the engine over at the garage!

As Flaminsam says its a much easyer way of doing it leaving the head on and using compressed air to hold the valves closed,

Edited by Rob H

As grant says its so much quicker and easier than removing the head. And if you think you can just push the valves down when there's compressed air in there then you will be very suprised.

Give the valve spring retainers a tap with a hammer and a socket BEFORE you wined the piston to the top to free off the collets it will make them easier to remove once the piston is up at the top, use a pair of long nose pliers to pull off the seal or you can get some proper valve seal pliers that make the job much easier. do them one cylinder at a time.

To be honest rob I was going to say do them one valve at a time, saves mixing your hydralic tappets up. Also where possible block up the oil returns to the sump, a bit of rag or something. Saves having to remove the sump if you drop something in the engine.

Put the piston at tdc and have it in gear with the wheels on the floor. Put compressed air down the spark plug hole and it will hold the valves in place with out the dropping into the bore

Grant did you make an adaptor to screw into the spark plug bore tp take to air line?

Is this quite a simple task if doing it without removing the head? Sounds confusing because ive never done it before :/

Hoping I don't need to but preparing for the possibilities as I caught a

Glimpse of some blue smoke since fitting the decat :/