Daily driver for work between £2-3000 - recommendations please

Hi guys,

right managed to write my work van off last week and am now waiting on the bloody insurance companies to sort themselves out and give me my money.

i however run my own business and need a vehicle to work. because of my age i couldnt get a courtesy car with my policy so.. im 21 by the way.

i need to purchase a vehicle that will be reliable, good on fuel and cheapish to insure (and be able to sell again) for the next two months possibly.

Would love something interesting and well specced but obviously needs must first before wanting something sporty etc.

will be selling on in couple of months when i get replacement van but need something in the mean time to not stop me earning.

can anyone give me any recomendations asap as im sitting here without a vehicle and my starlet is not a feasable option atm.

would really appreciate the help guys.

cheers

sam

Edited by snails ep91

I use a Mazda 323f 2.0 diesel as my commuter since my corsa VXR literally drinks petrol. But the mazda is great on diesel easily 50+ mpg its comfortable. Ok looks like shit and it aint gona set any records breaking times but its a worker. Also because of the shape its pretty much an estate and best of all it cost £800 quid!! Been a great purchase.

A 110hp or 130hp diesel VAG of some description ie golf a3 leon or fabia would be a good option, hold money fairly well and are good on fuel and fairly nippy, dont get the 150hp as they are prone to problems.

And this is coming from someone that dislikes vags lol

^^ yer im contemplating it.

if i can get an n/a for under 7-800 then i probably will.

was thinking a diesel tho maybe a bora ior something as they seem cheaper than some of the golfs with more extra?

do you think i would be able to sell it tho?

Diesel vws audi etc do seem to sell fairly well due to there desent mpgs n comfort.

i would say get a 2000 plate corolla like mine, pick em up for around 1k with 70k on them I've had mine 3 years and have spent bugger all on upkeep and it returns 45mpg on a run 37-40 in town, is spacious comfy and handles well on just springs and for a 1.4 goes really well ;)

am using a 03 plate 1.5 diesel clio atm hate the look off them but it was £30 for a years road tax insurance pretty cheap good mpg and one of the local garages is determined to buy it off me because theres quite a market for them with new drivers

thanks guys for the input.

appreciate the help.

however ive managed to sweettalk the garage into lending me a brand new van for next two to eight weeks for free! on the basis that when i get my insurance payout and GAP insurance payout i buy from them which as its all on insurance i have no problem with.

and just transferred my existing van policy to this one with no increase so pretty pleased of what ive done with a bad situation.

once again cheers everyone for the help tho.

sam