Sticky situation with a body shop!

Hi guys

I have a bit of a dilemma so I thought I would share it on here to see what you guys think.

I gave one of my cars in to a body shop to have the following work done:

Respray front bumper

Paint and fit a new wing

Respray rear door and quarter panel

I dropped the car off earlier this week and got a call this morning to 'have a look at the car'. I popped over and they told me the colour is wrong through no fault of their own. This car has previously had a full respray in a slightly darker colour than the original colour (that I wasn't fully aware of). These guys took the paint code from the chassis, ordered the paint in and painted it. They noticed the colour was wrong after removing the masking.

The original colour is black with a hint of blue, and the car is actually a bit darker (doesn't have as much blue in the paint). Now when you look at the car you can see that the parts they have painted are a lot more blue than my car!

So now these guys are demanding me to pay which I've refused as I don't see why I should. I gave them a car, asked them to paint it and the colours not right. These guys noticed the car has been previously been painted but they assumed it had been painted to the same colour, surely it's not my fault that they assumed this and surely they should have checked the paint before painting these 4 panels? Their excuse for this was because it's a fairly new car (06 reg) so they thought it was right to assume it had been painted the factory colour.

If I had done this paint job for someone I'd be told to f*** off if I asked for payment! I asked them to repaint it but they said the paint would need the paint to fully harden which takes about 3 weeks before they touched it again (understandable) but they're not going to paint it for free, they'll charge me full whack if I take it back.

Another thing is the rear quarter has a slight graze on it, when looking carefully I can still see two very small dents so they obviously haven't repaired it properly before painting it!!

This is the first time I've actually used a body shop to ever have my car painted and this is the simple reason why, I just don't trust anyone with it. I've usually done any paint work on my cars myself but I no longer have the time to do so. The funny thing is these guys are professionals and are no back street garage.

The initial price was £375 and after a bit of arguing they said I could pay £325 but that's still way too much for a job I'm not happy with. I said I'll leave the car there and get 'advice' before deciding what to do but made it clear that I'm not paying them anything at this point. I will be phoning trading standards for advice tomorrow.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, if so what have you done? Or any of you guys who work in body work, what wold you do if you did this paint for a client?

Cheers

Idrees

Id tell them what it says on every can of spray paint you buy...

Test on and inconspicuous area first? They're "professionals" if they knew the car had been resprayed then they should know that the colour match could be off so they should have checked/tested it first.

The only thing i would pay for is the new mix of paint out of a good will gesture!

All cars change colour over time due to the sun and the age of the paint etc!

Thats why there is such things as paint chip matching maybe they should of done that instead of thinking the car will be the same colour it was when it come out for the factory!

Edited by micky boy

Id speak to trading standards iddy, at the end of the day they have sold you as a customer something that is not fit for purpose. weatger it be a part a service or a skilled trade the "sale" is of no use. they fooked up therefor they are obligated to rectifiy it. im not in the body repair trade but in my job an error is corrected and paid for by us not our customers. you arnt to know the colour code. at the end of the day you gave them a car and asked for panels to be sprayed to match. had you ofasked for panels to be sprayed in colour code "xyz" then it would be your fault if they looked out of place. report them to trading standards and also phone citizens advice if need be. their is always the motor trades standards you could contact for advice to i belive.

Im sure you will get it sorted mate. at the end of the day its their error, not yours.

Cheers for your input guys.

If it was me I would cut my losses and keep the customer happy, that's part of running a business and I've experienced losses myself. I told the guys I'd rather not fall out with them over this as I use them very frequently for other parts. They refurbish and prime 99% of panels that I have moulded as part of my business. They charge me top dollar too i.e. £120 just to prep and prime a Starlet bonnet but they do a good job on that so I don't mind paying it. I thought they'd rather not lose my custom as I'm a regular however I'm obviously very wrong!

I wasn't aware of this motor trade standards Shorty so I'll definitely research that now.

I work in a body shop myself mate and if anything comes out of the spray booth less than 110% right, especially if there paying top doller for the job then it gets done again!

Dont pay for the job again even if it was no fault of there own its just what happens sometimes and they just got to get on with it

At the end of the day, you asked them to do something and they ballsed it up, then still want paying. It's like ordering a meal and having them bring you something else, then demand you pay for it!

It's their fault for not being more professional; their mistake, their loss not yours! :)

To be fair they have No leg to stand on as far as colour match!! All paint suppliers state on their products that a TEST match should be done before painting full pannels/cars. No one ever does this as its a waste of time for somone who is a good painter and knows that paint changes colour due to uv fade hence getting paint match to the original pannel your painting.

Edited by Broony
  • 3 weeks later...

In my work, we never put out a car if the colour looks different, I wouldnt except it either, There are ways of getting the correct colour, They prob painted it the wrong shade, there is maybe 3, 4 even 5 different shades of the colour and if they ordered in the colour they prob never checked the shades, also do u know if they blended the colour?

3 weeks before they can repaint it is bullshit! i would say after a few hours its been out the booth u can repaint it.

Also if you werent happy with the job in my work we would redo it for free.

In my work, we never put out a car if the colour looks different, I wouldnt except it either, There are ways of getting the correct colour, They prob painted it the wrong shade, there is maybe 3, 4 even 5 different shades of the colour and if they ordered in the colour they prob never checked the shades, also do u know if they blended the colour?

3 weeks before they can repaint it is bullshit! i would say after a few hours its been out the booth u can repaint it.

Also if you werent happy with the job in my work we would redo it for free.

There is only one shade of the colour, I've previously worked in a paint shop so I popped in to have a look at the chips and there was one shade.

I did seek legal advice and asked him if he wants to fix the problem privately of wait for me to do it the hard way. In the end he agreed to repaint it at no extra charge, and it came out 100% better the second time!

Cheers for all the advice! :D