4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Had the car out again last Friday for the night meet at Meremere. I didn't have any time before the event to make any changes on the car other than swap the side pipe for the full exhaust, so its was the same boost/no vvt tune. While loading it on the trailer noticed an exhaust leak from the turbo area - found the turbo gasket had blown out, possibly part of the boost spike issues last time out. Eventually got to the track and ran a string of 13.2 & 13.3's but times got worse as the evening went on and the track got colder and the dew settled. Cut some good lights, 60ft's slowly dropping (2.0-2.1 sec) but still plagued with poor running up in the rev range. Think I've found the issue but more on that later. Really need to get vvt operating before the next event but time is short! Some awesome photos thanks to RL Photography NZ.

The only photo of my car

12819282_857901800987867_450176378781099

It was a super clear night

12790863_857901934321187_398027776147135

12771613_857904690987578_746650307636633

This is the Green Brothers 323 wagon. Daily driven 13bt but runs 8's!

12809530_857907440987303_474983200329967

• 2 weeks later...

Last Friday was the final round of the drag wars at Meremere so I took the 4agte down for the last runs of the season.

Since the last event I finally solved the slight miss/hesitation at high load which turned out to be a caused by the Magnacor spark leads. The 20v head runs leads with a boot that slides down inside the head (same deal as 4e/5e's) and I realised that one of the terminals inside the lead was actually 6-7mm away from the top of the spark plug terminal so all this time its arcing across to the plug. Magnacor are making a new lead but in the mean time I jammed a normal non-booted 8mm eagle lead down onto the spark plug.

I also got VVT working again by changing the switching conditions in the tune. The vvt advances the inlet cam about 30 degrees which makes a massive difference to power delivery but this meant I had to step back to a tune from last year when the vvt was actually working as the current tune would probably be running too much timing with the additional cam advance. With Kris's help I did a couple of test runs with vvt always off then always on then by looking at the dips in AFR we could work out the ideal switch points. With vvt running in some areas 10% more fuel was needed which shows how much extra air flow there is.

I didn't get a whole heap of tuning time but loaded up and off to the track I went. Still running low boost the first run netted a .122 R/T, 2.087 60ft and a 13.191@105.84mph. Second run netted a .039 R/T, 2.159 60ft and a 13.105@108.36. Third run I tried launching in 2nd, it bogged so I kicked the clutch and it hooked up the best it ever has. Result was a 0.091 R/T, 2.567 60ft, and 13.476@107.58mph. Slow 60ft due to bogging so if I get the launch nailed and good run it might go for a 12 on low boost and soft tune. Unfortunately the oil return from the turbo developed a crack so rather than spread oil all over the track and risk a ban it was back on the trailer and an early finish to the night but they car felt great and happy with the result with low boost and a very quick tune. Consistently cutting sub .13 lights now so just need to learn how to change gear :)

940826_1711201322453057_7080144169750516

1622839_868059043305476_1709380695035268

The engine runs 8.0:1 pistons so even with a TRD headgasket the compression ratio will still be low so more boost should wake it up, plus peak timing is very conservative at the moment. More tuning and more boost should result in good power gains - time will tell!

Anyway winter is coming so there's always next season! There are some winter events starting in June so hopefully will make those. Thanks to old man Kris, Ryan, Mattface, Karl and Joe for the help this season

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Del, its been a while, hows things?

Definitely getting on top of it now and pretty motivated to get more tuning done. Have just picked up some TRD valve springs so will fit those soon.

Yeah I keep the JBP Facebook page updated reasonably regularly - Link to it is below in my signature. About to do a post on the ae86 im currently working on - awesome car.

Edited by Stu

Very nice AP71, severals time have looked this project even before joining this ukso forum :) So sad that man can´t have that kind of beast roadleagal here in Finland, so have to try struggle with E-series engines :/ Point is front weight, that is main problem here, small adding is ok but we can´t change front axle weight so much. I lighten that problem more in my granny topic someday.

Have You seen this Dannish fast 4A-GTE Starlet video, 9,99s 1/4mile, damn that is fast EP70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25qRVssPW8

Edited by MR-2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well its the off season here but changes are in the pipe line... like so:

capture.jpg

The turbo was the only item retained from the old setup and Ive wanted to make a change for a while so I advertised it and it sold within a few hours. The new turbo is here and I need to find some time to make a new manifold and drop pipe - hopefully before June 30 when the first Winterspeed event happens. So so busy currently building two very high power 5efte setups but hoping I can squeeze in some time before then.

I know its great :)

Another few pieces to the puzzle have arrived. Namely a new 40mm TurboSmart vband wastegate, TRD radiator cap, and the replacement magnacore spark lead (which took months to arrive...). Ive started on the merge collector but i need to order more bends and send the head flange file off to be cut before I can really get into making the new manifold.

img_3784as.jpg

Here's the difference in the leads and why I needed a replacement

spark-plug-lead-differences.jpg4

This thing has been taking most of my time lately... I wont bore you with photos but take a look at the facebook page if your interested (link in signature below)

img_3767as.jpg

20150225_122159_zpsy5nwmuur.jpg

I have bought many years ago Frozenboost universal 1x12x24" radiator and cooler unit, still haven't used. Maybe for my EP70, meant to go my MR2 but used ST205 Celica system. Maybe universal 1x12x12 radiator would be better, wanna use room fo turbo, Stu's engine room is very tidy also, whats Your plan?

The EP82 has a front mount intercooler already, the box in the engine bay is a secondary ice box and is removable for drags only. It will be a passive ice box system with a high flow core so no pumps or heat interchanges - just fill it with ice/dry ice (the tank will be vented and the core will be dry ice capable) do a run then open the drain to release any melted ice and then top up for the next run.

Its all in the aid of keeping air temps down. One of the problems with our local track Meremere is that there is often quite big queues and long periods of sitting in pit lane in the baking sun. FMIC's and intakes etc all get heat soak just sitting around and of course they need air flow to cool down and become effective. The ice box will hopefully aid with this and keep air temps down for the burnout and first few gears. Once the FMIC gets some air thru it, it will become more efficient. It will take lots of datalogging and tune adjustments to get right but in theory it should help. Im also thinking about enclosing the air intake runners in a box that will also be filled with ice/dry ice.

Anyway, more info on this car on the Facebook page. Have just tacked together the sidepipe setup. Fuel system next then cage.

About 5mins drive back up the motorway from the track is a gas station so ice is on easy supply. I usually take my 12/24v fridge/freezer to keep the drinks/meat for the bbq cold anyway so will likely just slam that down on -18 and keep a few bags frozen. Its only ~$4 a bag :p

• 3 weeks later...

So busy lately building the EP82 and EP91 I have here among other things (more on the facebook page if your interested, link in signature), but got some time to make a start on my manifold. Took the old setup off and picked up a head flange I ordered from the laser cutters last week. Cut up some tube and made the merge collector. V-band joiners are so nice to work with, will avoid conventional flanges like the plague from now on :)

Anyway, few photos:

img_3989as.jpg

img_3997as.jpg

img_4003as.jpg

img_4006as.jpg

img_4007as.jpg

img_4015as.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well I've basically done nothing to this since May and there is an event I would like to get to in December so thought I should probably make a start. Trailered the car to some new workshop space as my place is too full of customers car. Made a start on the manifold and hope to have it all tacked together one night next week.

14612511_379451309053208_224082006725271

• 5 weeks later...

More un-adulterated grinding action (one handed for photo taking ability...)

20161117_213956as.jpg

Tacked together now. Ignore turbo outlet direction, the front cover is loose and its not pointing in the right direction in this photo.

20161117_230234as.jpg

Will knock it apart and to prep and weld up now, then work on the external wastegate provision.

20161117_230524as1.jpg

Morgey, thanks! Its been a crazy year with being so busy on everyone else's cars, needed to make a start or get rid of the car.

5e colin, cheers dude. The old grinder merge seems to do the trick! Till I can afford to buy that CNC mill haha

Just got a new argon bottle so will get into it again this weekend, because no one likes it when this happens...

15230705_397637623901243_765269648421545