4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

Yeah I would like to! Need to take some photos and measurements to recreate it unless I can find someone making the decals already - anyone know if they are available?

Also working on the Turbo S bonnet with the scoop removed, trying to decide what colour to bomb it with

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2017 4&Rotary Nationals are over and done with, managed to run a new PB of 12.1@115mph. Only changes were some new water lines to the turbo core and spending about 30mins on the road taking a little bit of fuel out of the tune as it was dipping into the 10's at full load. Back to mid 11's now so could do with just a bit more taking out. Very hot day and suffered a bit of head soak and the track wasnt as sticky as I had thought it would be, most of the 60ft times were 2.1-2.2 except the 12.1 run which was a 2.025. Super happy with the result though.

Will head back out on the 17th for a twilight meet when hopefully the cooler evening air temps will help crack that 11. Also will hopefully spend some more time on the tune and get some timing into it, still very conservative at about 17degrees peak. Also need to lift the rear suspension but ive run out of height adjustment so will need to get some different struts for the rear.

Here's a few photos since words are boring.

This was right at the end of the day when the track was open for grudge racing. Vs my brother Ryan in his stocker EP91

lined-up.jpg

16442849_10154897407278286_895690301_oas

16251638_1703165149697477_86732573722141

Got a bit keen on the dial in (theres always next time) but also sneakily stole the marshalls paint and "amended" my race number which was 004a originally...

16195719_10154033633426829_2642357232672

img_5425as.jpg

16466196_10154897407588286_1053231122_oa

Thanks mate. Yes I had considered that but I think I will steal my brothers spare struts as they are longer than mine and have 10kg springs. My rears are 8kg currently and it still squats a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Some very cool coverage from the Oldschool.co.nz 2016 Drag Day that Ryan and I attended last December. Few cameo shots of the 4agte (at the beginning and at 7.53) but just great to see the day recognised. Every year it gets better and better. Check it out!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5wLpzjCJQ

Some very cool coverage from the Oldschool.co.nz 2016 Drag Day that Ryan and I attended last December. Few cameo shots of the 4agte (at the beginning and at 7.53) but just great to see the day recognised. Every year it gets better and better. Check it out!

That was a good watch

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from last night's race meet, ran a new PB of 11.85@119mph. Still can't better a 2.0 60ft but very happy with how it ran. Didn't miss a beat!

Thanks guys!

During last week I changed out the intercooler as it had been in the car for 14+ years and had a few hits and dings plus the replacement one I had is 15-20mm thicker so thought bigger is better. Got the car back to street spec (side pipe out, exhaust in etc) and during the day on Friday with the help of a mate of mine Kris we got the tune wound up a bit more. Running some good timing now and the boost is up to about 17.5 - 18psi. Definitely sketchy to drive on the street, third gear hazes the wheels so had to do some ultra sketchy 4th gear data logs. After that I swapped on the Hoosiers, loaded up the trailer and waded through 3 hours of stop start traffic to get to the track.

First run was 12.05 with a poor 60ft. Second run was a touch slower at 12.1 as I hung onto the limiter a bit long on the gear changes. Eventually got down into the 11's and ran the best of 11.85@119mph on my last run. Was hoping for one more run as I was improving with the last few runs but unfortunately lost in a DYO battle by 0.1s against a very reliable 16.0 sec car - thats DYO for you!

Here's a couple of vids and a photo from the meeting.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPcrdI4MYro

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBnZJhVUDZI

https://www.facebook.com/JonesBrothersProjects

Edited by Stu
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No photos sorry - close thread now :)

Short version:

Went racing, no tune changes, eventually ran some 11.9's

Detail version:

As usual I left it to the last minute but on Friday morning I raised the car the 65mm or so needed to refit the slicks and took it racing that night (evening meet). Due to someone wanting to jump of an overbridge the traffic on the motorway to the track was retarded so after 3 hours of stop start traffic I wasn't really feeling it. First couple of runs were crap too. In the first I missed third gear and ran a 13.1 or something with a good portion of that time taken with me trying to mash the thing into gear again. After that run I turned the car off and the battery didn't want to start it again - bit embarrassing getting a jump start in the queue haha. I need to relocate the oil cooler as the turbo is quite close and the oil cooler becomes an oil warmer with no air flow so temps were getting up and I couldn't turn the car off while waiting as it wouldn't start again. As a result the air intake temps and water temps were high and at half track the ecu started pulling out timing/boost and ran thru for a mid 12. Third run again took ages due to oil downs and again I missed a gear - I think the gearbox is on its way out.

There was a bit of a break between the 3 qualifying runs so I tried to figure out the battery issue as Ive got a volt/ammeter on the side of the battery box and at even idle it was 13.7v and 7-10amps so was charging. Found a dodgy connection into the I ran a volt meter so redid that and it started much easier. I think the voltage was dropping due to the cranking draw and the ecu was shutting down as the ecu check light was going out which it doesn't normally when cranking. Anyway drove much better after that with the best three runs being 12.0, 11.97 and 11.90 all with 2.2-2.4 60fts. There was alot of talk in the pits about everyone struggling to get off the line so it wasn't just me. The good side is that the mph is up to nearly 122 now, so my driving must be a bit better as not alot else has changed. Had some really nice feedback from quite a few people and had a bit of a crowd in the pits - pretty cool seeing as starlets are not the most loved car over here. -One of the media guys was taking vids of my burnouts and runs so hopefully something pops up I can share.

Anyway, its basically the end of the season bar a fun day in a few weeks where its grudge racing all day and we can take passengers. Things for winter are fit new gearbox with proper cusco lsd rather than the helical in it now which is a one wheel peeler every now an then, oil cooler relocation, paint the turbo s bonnet that has the intercooler intake deleted, paint and fit the rear mid spoiler, refit the radiator slam panel, move the oil cooler, 3inch exhaust upgrade, make some spacers for the rear suspension to lift the back higher for racing, and do a few upgrades on the engine since its basically stock.

Ive also wired up the speed sensor now so the ecu knows what speed and gear im in - will get a boost vs gear/speed setup going eventually as I ran out of time. Idea is to run low boost in 1st and 2nd (I launch in 2nd at the track) and then in 3rd ramp the boost up as the rpm increases to reach peak at the limiter and then high in 4th on. Ive got a Turbo S gauge cluster so will get that fitted this week and then maybe do some street tuning to get that all calibrated.

Anyway, for now its got a couple of weeks off before one more fun meet and then under the cover it goes.

Edited by Stu
  • 3 weeks later...

First of the off season jobs is done. The car originally had the orange face Si dash cluster then I went through a period of not liking all the orange so swapped it for the white face unit that lights up green at night. Have now gone full circle and back to orange but this time the Turbo S cluster. I had to pull it apart to change the K's to match the car and also do the tacho mod so that it runs off my ecu. Will post up a vid of the key on tacho sweep at some stage.

The clusters all in bits

20170313_195818as.jpg

The collection (have got a couple more somewhere)

img_5598as.jpg

As the car originally ran the standard single coil/ignitor and I had upgraded to coil per plug as part of the engine swap, the tacho needed modifying so that it would still work. By changing the primary resistor the tacho now runs directly from the ecu supplied low level drive, rather than the original high level drive from the single coil setup. This is the resistor if anyone was interested. Its the first (primary) resistor on the circuit board inside the tacho section of the cluster. Using ohms law and measuring the original resistors size you can work out what the new one needs to be.

inked20170314_105512_lias.jpg

The car is in hibernation while I wire up an AE86 so wont get anything done for a couple of weeks. Oil cooler changes and setting up the speed vs boost/gear is next on the cards.

• 3 months later...