4agte EP71 from New Zealand - 11.8@119mph

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks dude! In my case its been a case of slowly working on it small step at a time.

So on the 24th it was the drag day as part of the 4nRotary Nationals over here - prettty much the biggest import event in NZ (there are a few pretty good events but this is the longest running etc). Pretty average results but a great day out all the same. Got 5 or so runs in before giving up and parking it up - plagued all day with very annoying missfires and random trigger errors which with brief investigation seems to be cause by a faulty cam angle sensor so will be replacing that and trying again. Best run was a very slow 14.33@101.51mph which is way off where it should have been. As a comparison it ran the 14.01@104mph prior to Christmas with 6psi, a whole heap less timing (~10+ degrees), and on an un-prepped track.

Huge thanks to my brother Ryan who helped setup all the suspension/heights/spring rates, bullied me into making a side pipe, general setup and towing duties. Also thanks to Kris (KPR - current nz EP record holder) who took a day off work to help tune on the Friday before the nats. Very frustrating that it was driving so well on the street only two days before and looking so promising. Oh well thats racing and there's always another event.

967980_10200118216753432_1830142649_n.jp

10404202_597308397069361_334016954624203

Theres a few good vids on Facebook but not sure how to link them here - will try and sort it out.

Edited by Stu

Yeah I made up a super rushed side pipe for the nats - can't have it being too quiet!

I've swapped out the cam angle sensor and its going much better - no trigger errors showing so hopefully that was all it was. Need to do a run into town for more fuel then I can test drive it and make sure its all going well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't drive on the street with the side pipe and the suspension is quite different for the track so theres plenty of clearance. Went to the night wars even last friday and it was spitting some pretty cool flames in the dark. No major improvement on time thou - the alternator crapped out so didn't have any clean passes. Best was 14.05 and 105mph so same same really. Alternator is off for a rebuild and I'm going to change the coil power side setup so hopefully avoid voltage drop.

• 1 month later...

Update time

The above photos were from a night drag event a few weeks back. Had another problematic time and didn't really get a clean run. A combination of crap driving to start with, a rev limit set too low (hang over from trying to solve the trigger error I was having), a cv boot popping off and covering everything with grease, and finally the alternator crapping out which didnt help.

Back home I ripped the alternator off and swapped it for a spare I had. Also got around to changing the power wiring to the coils to run from two relays instead of one along with larger wiring. I also found one of the earth straps in the boot that runs from the battery to the strut tower wasn't fitted (taken off when the rear suspension was swapped to the heavier springs) so was only running on the earth cable that runs forward to the starter bolt. Possibly this wasn't helping.

Fixed up a few things and also fitted the boost controller but when test driving had a major boost spike issue again even though the controller duty cycle was 0% in the ecu. Was seeing the MAP cut at 22psi a tab before 5000rpm which felt awesome but obviously not ideal so took it easy on the way home. Found the boost controller is quite restrictive so even though its flowing air its holding pressure on the top diaphram so its spiking. Have swapped the controller out for a different one. Also had a weird clunk in the drive line when braking into a corner and the wheel tried to rip out of my hands. When home I jacked it up and spun the wheels but everything felt ok.

Gave it a clean and took some photos

nose-clean.jpg

Here's the engine bay - still not quite where I want it to be but getting there. Haven't given it a clean and nothing is polished yet - too lazy for that.

engine-bay.jpg

Then I noticed this on the garage floor

gearbox-leak.jpg

Gearbox fluid - not good so jacked it back up. Found one of the axle seals was weeping. Spent a bit more time checking things over and noticed some restriction when spinning the wheels. Usually not a good sign so tonight I took the gearbox out and pulled the diff down. Photo is of the LSD cradle.

diff-centre.jpg

So need a new diff - to be honest its done a shit load of work over the years so its had a good run.

Haha minor teething issues - its drives super well on the street but just havent made it stick on the track yet. First good clean run even at this low boost should be pretty quick.

Priced up a new diff this morning - wont be buying one of those in a hurry :)

Cheers Andy - come over and put my gearbox back in! :p Yeah I made those years ago when I first fitted the 4age. They run down to the chassis rails which are fitted with crush tubes, and there is a bar that runs across the front between the rails too. Probably overkill but basically to give it a bit more strength.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, its winter here and I've had so many other cars to work on that I haven't had any motivation for my own car - poor thing has sat neglected. New gearbox is in though, and its driving but haven't gone far as the weather has been too shit and its not that fun to drive in the rain (don't let this photo fool you - its been puking down rain lately). So that's about it for now.

img_1633adjs.jpg

Edited by Stu

Its a modified ae111 box c56 for now. Im working towards a new diff which I will put back into the drag box and just swap back in in spring.

• 1 month later...

Not alot to report as its winter and the weather sucks, but I took the car out for a drive to test some new rpm limiter settings. Gave the absolute death, a real hiding. And it loved it, no issues - win! Next good day I'll wind some more boost into it.

/uselesspostwithnophotos

Hey Del, wow that sounds rough! We don't get snow here in Auckland luckily. But when its warm is generally raining and when its clear is usually 0 degrees out...

But i've been warming myself over the welder lately making these bloody things

img_1737s800.jpg