Sparky's S13 drift build

Apologies for anything that doesnt make sense I have copied it over from Driftworks.

Well I have owned the car for over 3 months now and its getting to how I want it so thought its time to start a build thread.

The car was advertised on here and when searching for a s13 I came across it, it looked familiar and I inquired about it and turns out it was local to me and I had seen it about so I went and checked it out. It needed quite a bit of work but had the fundamentals for a good base, 90% rust free shell, stage 2 with t28, coilovers, adjustable arms, 5stud conversion with 4pots and 2pots, bucket seat and loads of other mods which to me was a good start.

Pictures I took when viewing the car.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

After I bit of negotiating I got it for a price I was happy to pay so I bought it. When I got home that night took a sneaky pic for facebook

IMG_0012.jpg

So yea the first thing you do to a new car is clean it and have a good look over it so here is some pictures after a clean.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Carbon tailgate and carbon GTR spoiler

IMG_0073.jpg

I knew from the start the diff needed replacing so that was the first thing to do, came across this skyline 4.3 welded diff with solid bushes and shafts so went and paid the Kyouto boys a visit and picked it up

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Sealed the back plate on and filled it with some of the good stuff

IMG_0218.jpg

And set about fitting it all

IMG_0262.jpg

As the car was on axle stands and I wanted to change the appearance of the car to make it my own (not to keen on the stealth look) I decided to sell the 18x10 Rota's and get some 17's, my heart was set on XXR 527's and with a long waiting list I managed to find a set second hand seeing as I had a colour change in mind for them anyway

IMG_0342.jpg

One wheel rubbed down ready for the new colour

IMG_0348.jpg

And painted

IMG_0380.jpg

Fat wheels need some fat arches so again hunting driftworks I came across these fenders, ChargeSpeed +25mm fronts and Magic Aero +50mm rears, should do nicely

IMG_0171.jpg

Again to get rid of the stealth appearance there was no other option than to get some kouki lights

Some more goodies including the kouki lights

IMG_0337.jpg

And fitted, just waiting on some bulb holders so I can make a loom up as I refuse to pay £75 for kouki looms!

IMG_0338.jpg

Also decided on a hydraulic handbrake and remove the ABS while I was at it so here is the engine bay before, quite cluttered and dirty.

IMG_0256.jpg

And ABS removed

IMG_0257.jpg

And my handbrake being mocked up

IMG_0396.jpg

handbrake fitted with new dildo gear knob

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

Removing the front bumper was a pain and I have NO patience when working with rusty/rounded/snapped bolts so I turned into the hulk and this happened needed a new front bumper anyway lol

IMG_0340.jpg

So then I got this Norris designs bumper off a mate for free, well I couldnt accept it so I gave him a buckets seat and s13 rail for it

IMG_0349.jpg

Set about fitting come quick release catches to it then for ease of removal/fitting and ended up looking like this, nothing is aligned properly yet but its looking good

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Decided to get some more suspension parts and ended up buying DW lower control arms aswell as the tension rods bought previously.

IMG_0407.jpg

So got on with fitting them, and of course you always get one seized bolt so had to cut my arm and bolt off

IMG_0462.jpg

Made sure my tensions arms were nice and free so took them apart and copper greased them before fitting

IMG_0398.jpg

All fitted

IMG_0448.jpg

Had a rocker cover gasket leak so decided to spruce up the rocker covers while I was at it

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Noticed my lambda sensor loom was broke so got a new plug and soldered that in

IMG_0445.jpg

Inevitably the standard clutch will give up soon so got this bad boy ready

IMG_0425.jpg

Noticed my track rod end was damaged so decided to upgrade to the Japspeed arms

IMG_0468.jpg

Also snapped a droplink on the DB power ARB when changing the LCA's so got some new ones

IMG_0408.jpg

My seat was nackered and needed replacing so I came across this and I kept the Takata out of my Starlet

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

Also recieved a suprise with the seat, TNT accidentally dropped this lot off to me

IMG_0453.jpg

An RB26 Greddy TD06 20G twin turbo kit!!!! Luckily (for the guy) it was signed for and im a genuine person so he came and collected it all the next day but I had to try it on the CA

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Finally manned up and got my old man to cut my rear arches out!

IMG_0463.jpg

All stich welded and grinded, undersealed ready for the over fenders to go on

IMG_0519.jpg

Then over fenders fitted

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Needed to be lowered massively so that was next, had one seized coilover to deal with first but lowered it another 50mm in the end.

IMG_0542.jpg

And how it looked

IMG_0541.jpg

back on its wheels

IMG_0543.jpg

Just waiting on these bad boys now for the rear

IMG_0545.jpg

Garage filling up nicely with skid rims and tyres

IMG_0503.jpg

Got some custom verniers and an extra exhaust cam for the inlet side waiting to go in

IMG_0531.jpg

Been running diagnostics on the ECU so decided to take it apart to confirm what chip it has, anyone know what make this is?

IMG_0551.jpg

So yea it doesnt run great (faulty temperature sensor) so now I am waiting on that to get it running mint and then its off for alignment and hopefully be ready for the drift day at pembrey on the weekend!

At the moment Forza will have to do! :p

s13.jpg

Temperature sensor is fitted and working, still runs a little bit rough but not half as bad when warm, its saying CAS fault but I have tested the CAS and its fine, there maybe a problem in the circuitry which I am trying to trace.

Anways took some pictures, fitted my seat properly, put my harness in place (still need eye bolts) and also wired up my sleepy eye kit ( can see the control unit in the footwell attached to the tunnel.

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

and yes it is a genuine recaro and takata :p

Had a few things turn up today

The rest of my bulb holders so now I can crack on wiring in the rear lights

IMG_0583.jpg

And my ultralite 25mm spacers for the rear

IMG_0582.jpg

Had a massive hold up today because in the one spacer the studs were too long so spent the day hack sawing them down which was a ball ache but finally got both fitted and it has transformed the car! I think I can go a bit wider once I have had my camber correction and alignment done but it looks good for now.

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

With the trouble with the spacers I didnt have time to check my cambelt timing plus I have a rounded bolt to deal with on the cover so that will be tackled tomorrow.

This car is starting to get on my tits.

Rounded bolt in the rocker cover literally took me all day to drill out (bastard cordless battery powered drill) so had to wait for the batteries to recharge 3 times to get it off which ended up looking like this

IMG_0590.jpg

Still got the bolt to remove from the block. But then I was faced with this, a completely fucked belt on an engine that "apparently" was rebuilt 5k miles before I bought it fucking cowboys.

IMG_0591.jpg

Looks like I need a new tensioner pulley aswell

IMG_0592.jpg

In between waiting for the batteries to charge I messed around and fitted my tow strap and took a picture of the rear camber, its alot more than I first thought so the next job is to remove my rear camber arms and unseize them, after I fit a new timing belt and tensioner of course *sigh*

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

Well today I took the timing belt off, I say take off it actually snapped when I was rotating it to line the timing marks up! Lucky or what?

Anyway new belt, tensioner and idler ordered aswell as a new waterpump and power steering belt so its all done and new.

Got my rear bumper fitted (sort of) today aswell, just need to fix the corners somehow, anyway some pics

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Fingers crossed it will be running again by the weekend(properly this time)

Instead of messing around removing my head to get a new thread put in i found a cheap CA with nismo 440's and a stage 3 ECU so snapped it up and fitted it along with the ORC clutch and a z32 MAF :)

Some pictures of recent progress starting with engine removal

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

engine bay all cleaned up and nylon race mounts fitted.

IMG_0981.jpg

clutch fitted to new engine

IMG_1577.jpg

And new engine going in

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

started first time with no problems :)

Fitted a Bee*R love it :D

IMG_1582.jpg

Also got some new driftworks camber arms as the apex ones were fucked.

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Got my kouki's wired up :)

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

and with my sisters whip

IMG_1206.jpg

The i maxed my front top mounts out ready for when it went for alignment

IMG_1083.jpg

then at alignment

IMG_1252.jpg

and it looked completely different when it was done so much more poke on the rear :)

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

The I took it to the ODC rounds 5 and 6, first time driving the car properly and the first time driving a rwd car, fair to say I loved it and caught on pretty quick.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Car went faultlessly apart from a boost pipe and imobiliser problem in my first runs but then fine all day apart from loosing my bumper :p

IMG_1263.jpg

And now its tucked away for winter

IMG_1324.jpg

Not going mental with it, going to make sure my other CA is repaired and ready to go back in if the inevitable happens, also need a new filler neck as mine is holey, need to sort the problem with the LCA's as it doesnt self centre and just tidy it up.

An AVCR and some Geomasters/with rack spacers are on the wishlist and will be purchased next year but for now the car can wait :)

love it :)

bringing it to the shows next year?

Hopefully will be on the road for JapFest mate, should be getting lots of goodies for it after christmas :)

I Would say it looks good but I'd be lying. lol

I wouldn't bother with the CA personally. every one i know who has had a CA it's blown up. One of my mates is currently on his 3rd in 18 months.

SR20 FTW

Exterior changes and a lick of paint will come with time, no point having a mint car which is just going to get abused.

And CA's are every bit as good as SR's IF NOT BETTER, people are actually starting to realise this and jump off the SR bandwagon. I definitely wont be wasting over £1k just to go SR complete waste of money

Away for the winter ? Tyre friendly streeto you raging homosexual !

I like my license as it is lol

Exterior changes and a lick of paint will come with time, no point having a mint car which is just going to get abused.

And CA's are every bit as good as SR's IF NOT BETTER, people are actually starting to realise this and jump off the SR bandwagon. I definitely wont be wasting over £1k just to go SR complete waste of money

Yeah i know mate. just taking the piss.

LOL. Fair enough. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a CA but it's your car, Do as you wish. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dan507

Wow you've done a lot already! Nice to see a build thread and you back online!

I'd like to go for a ride in this, but saying that..you took me in the GT and I wanted TD04 power, don't want you to end up wanting RWD just yet haha!

• 2 weeks later...