Talk to me about velocity stacks and inlet designs :)

I haven't got a standard one, and to be honest don't think we will do any more. We are currently working on a super cheap intake. They haven't got velocity stacks inside. Just a taper on the base of the plenum. But the cost is more inline with others. If somebody wants one we can back to back test it against standard on the dyno. Price will be £250 fitted and tested for the first person. (£200 normally)

Ricky, any chance you can post pictures of your standard and race spec inlet to show how they differ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the actual plenum size and shape tho? Does that come into account or is it just the stacks them selves?

Yes, you aim for a specific size, then the shape is used, along with any method to improve flow. I.e. stacks, base plate. To balance the flow across the cylinders. The shape is also important for a number of other reasons. The intake I have drawn up today actually will perform very will, and the construction method will keep down the cost.

Much less than you'd think to be honest. Surface finish doesn't make a deal of difference because of a "boundry layer" there is hardly any gas speed at the surface.

Sometimes a sharp edge can help you, as it causes the gases to "tumble" and move in a certain direction easier.

Wow a lot more goings on then meets the eye then.
I'm guessing it helps if all the internals are deburred and polished also?

I've just read this and it answered a lot of questions, http://www.intengineering.com/intblog/archives/693

I think if I was going to build one myself I would personally use raised stacks while making the runners as long as poss with them becoming thinner half way down.

Think I would have a smoothed surface finish tho, not quite mirror but at least have a reading of 0.8 RA.

Edited by Lew91

Hello,

Our very latest intakes are pretty much exactly as you have said. We always went for the raised stacks and realistically the longest runner that is viable within the construction. On the very latest intakes we tapered the runners as well and were happy with the results.

I've just read this and it answered a lot of questions, http://www.intengineering.com/intblog/archives/693
I think if I was going to build one myself I would personally use raised stacks while making the runners as long as poss with them becoming thinner half way down.

Think I would have a smoothed surface finish tho, not quite mirror but at least have a reading of 0.8 RA.

Hello,

Our very latest intakes are pretty much exactly as you have said. We always went for the raised stacks and realistically the longest runner that is viable within the construction. On the very latest intakes we tapered the runners as well and were happy with the results.

Ah right all good stuff then, would be interesting to see what James comes up with.

Just out of interest, and for future reference if he does a cheaper version with flushed stacks but still tappered and with the correct plenum size and shape would that be enough to support a 250-300 bhp build with out doing any damage and improving results?

Hmmmmmm. Standard one becomes a restriction after 350 so not really sure how that worked

I'm guessing he will he having a new one now from rece tech while his car is there because of that very reason pall

Just remember guys, although the stock inlet may be able to cope at 300-350hp but with a better designed inlet you could get a wider torque band or make power earlier and make better power at less boost. It's not always about replacing it because you have to but optimising your setup.

I'm guessing he will he having a new one now from rece tech while his car is there because of that very reason pall

Yeh, no doubt he will be having a new one dude :) doesn't make sense that it made '376' one the standard on when it was Ricky himself that said it becomes a major ristriction at 350.......

Edited by mattyD

Yeh, no doubt he will be having a new one dude :) doesn't make sense that it made '376' one the standard on when it was Ricky himself that said it becomes a major ristriction at 350.......

No doubt it would have been a restriction but still useable clearly, so I would say its not really essential unless going for 350+ or you just want one haha

Just because it becomes restrictive at 350ish doesn't mean you can't run more just means with the correct inlet the same setup ie more efficient and effecrive inlet you will see more efficient outcome ie more torque, driveabity and possibly power.

What are you suggesting? What doesn't make sense?

There are gains to be had swapping intakes before 350hp, before 250 infact. But it doesn't mean you cannot go above that figure.

It is probably heavily ported, on nitrous or race fuel or both

Never seen them use nitrous doesn't seem to be something thats used in Japan very often, but i would expect it was running some kind of race fuel as it was when they were racing with it quite a lot. Has been swapped to a 5E again since then with a HKS turbo and is about 320-340 ps.