good to see you have a build thread up and running now dude :thumbsup:

intrigued to see whats going to be giving you the boost though...............

Cheers Matty, i'm intirgued as well :yahoo:

Bit of an update.

I done some calculations last night on what fuel pump and injectors I'm going to need to run to fuel this monster.

FuelFlow_zpsaa0fb4dd.jpg

FuelFlow2_zpsa138bada.jpg

It would appear that the Walbro fuel pumps are not good enough for anywhere near 600bhp as what has been claimed previously. Infact it would be pushing its limits at around 540bhp, and even then I couldn't see the pump lasting long.

Now I'm at a bit of a dilemma, do I just run a large single pump or double up on two small pumps.

Using a large fuel pump will end up flowing loads of fuel back to the tank when cruising, this will push up the fuel temperature, and as the fuel temp is increased it loses its octane rating.

Think I may go for 2 x 255 lph fuel pumps, one to feed a swirl pot and then the second to supply fuel to the engine.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The normal walbro that people use and the aeromotive 340 are in tank pumps. If your going external pump your going to need a inline pump feed by a swirl pot or gravity. Or have a custom swirl pot made that house an intank pump. Picture in my build thread of how I've done mine

The normal walbro that people use and the aeromotive 340 are in tank pumps. If your going external pump your going to need a inline pump feed by a swirl pot or gravity. Or have a custom swirl pot made that house an intank pump. Picture in my build thread of how I've done mine

Ah sweet, I didn't know it was an intake pump, I thought they were all external. Is it still possible to run a swirl pot with an intank pump? Just thinking of fuel surge.

Just having a look at the aeromotive stuff now.

Fair one adam, cant wait to see it come take a pic of your face when the turbo shows up lol

lol I will mate, don't think its going to be that big though :crazy:

I've put a stock pump in the tank as a lift pump. Or you could use a facet solid state pump to feed the swirl pot. Or you could have a sumpted tank and no need for a swirl pot or lift pump as gravity will feed a inline high pressure pump

Hmm, I've heard its a bad idea to use 2 different size pumps though when using a swirl pot as it can cause it to run dry at high rpm.

Is it possible to extend the fuel pick up further down into the tank?

I found the pump you was on about buddy, do you know if the stock pump has an inlet offset or if the inlet is central?

I'm pretty happy that running 2 different pumps will work. As the lift pumps not under any pressure as such so should flow enough. If I get a dirty lean miss fire and bits of piston on my spark plugs then the lift pumps not man enough

Not sure about the pump inlet off the top of my head

My walbro 255 maxed out at 270hp at the wheels.

We used to run the std in tank pump or the walbro and then mount a second pump in line in the engine bay like a bosch 044. Works very well and never had an issue in drags, street and circuit racing.

Also, most swirl pots have the return lines from the rail to them as well as the lift pump feeding them so you would litterly have to max out the flow of your primary pump to bleed your surge tank dry. Dont worry about running different sized pumps.

If you do go for a bosch pump, make sure its genuine. Like walbro, the market has een floode with fakes.

PS love the solid bucket lifters. Must have cost a bit.

I don't know if you ever saw Spuddy's ( I think that was his name ) monster 5E on the old uksc site that was pushing 575bhp, he had the same problem with not being able to get enough fuel to the engine but whilst running nos.

Iirc he got around the problem be replacing the dizzy with a big manual fuel pump and managed to get more then enough.

Don't know if this helps but just thought it was worth a mention.

My walbro 255 maxed out at 270hp at the wheels.

We used to run the std in tank pump or the walbro and then mount a second pump in line in the engine bay like a bosch 044. Works very well and never had an issue in drags, street and circuit racing.

Also, most swirl pots have the return lines from the rail to them as well as the lift pump feeding them so you would litterly have to max out the flow of your primary pump to bleed your surge tank dry. Dont worry about running different sized pumps.

If you do go for a bosch pump, make sure its genuine. Like walbro, the market has een floode with fakes.

PS love the solid bucket lifters. Must have cost a bit.

Thanks for the info Harry, I wanted to run a swirl pot just to combat fuel starvation and its hassle when only running the one intank pump unless the tank is baffled which is a pain and more costly than just using a simple swirl pot. I'll take that onboard and weigh up the options :)

The solid lifters are from the Toyota Yaris and not that costly at all mate. The part number for them if your interested is : 13751-23310.

I don't know if you ever saw Spuddy's ( I think that was his name ) monster 5E on the old uksc site that was pushing 575bhp, he had the same problem with not being able to get enough fuel to the engine but whilst running nos.

Iirc he got around the problem be replacing the dizzy with a big manual fuel pump and managed to get more then enough.

Don't know if this helps but just thought it was worth a mention.

Yeah I do know Spuddys motor, that was an option I thought of but it seemed to make the bay quite untidy. Thanks for the mention though! :) Spuddy is using methanol though which has a 50% oxygen content, and therefore requires AFR as rich as 4:1, Im not quite going to that extent yet, although I may fancy using some race fuel later on.

Edited by AdamB

Thanks for the info Harry, I wanted to run a swirl pot just to combat fuel starvation and its hassle when only running the one intank pump unless the tank is baffled which is a pain and more costly than just using a simple swirl pot. I'll take that onboard and weigh up the options :)

The solid lifters are from the Toyota Yaris and not that costly at all mate. The part number for them if your interested is : 13751-23310.

Thanks for the part number. Ill look into them next time the heads off., If your dead keen on a swirl pot, than you can run your walbro as a lift pump in tank. (std fuel tank has a little pot in it too where the pump sits) and then run a big electric to the motor. An 044 will supply more fuel than you will ever need. My problem was no where to mount a surge tank. I ended up running a 500ml ebay tank in the engine bay as I just couldnt find anywhere else outside the car. Big electrics are noisy too. I wrapped a few stubby coolers around mine to quieten it a little.

Edited by -Harry-

Thanks for the part number. Ill look into them next time the heads off., If your dead keen on a swirl pot, than you can run your walbro as a lift pump in tank. (std fuel tank has a little pot in it too where the pump sits) and then run a big electric to the motor. An 044 will supply more fuel than you will ever need. My problem was no where to mount a surge tank. I ended up running a 500ml ebay tank in the engine bay as I just couldnt find anywhere else outside the car. Big electrics are noisy too. I wrapped a few stubby coolers around mine to quieten it a little.

I checked out Grants build thread and he's managed to mount his 044 in the boot along with a swirl pot also, this is probably the best option unless wanting to have all the fueling components in the engine bay like you say. Have heard the 044 is pretty noisy, will most likely increase the wire size going to it as it will draw more current than the stock or walbro pump.

I'm tempted to make up a little box tray to house the swirl pot and external pump, much like a battery tray at the rear of the car then I can have the fuel lines through a hole and run under the car. Incase of any disaster atleast fuel will be enclosed rather than the possiblilty of it spewing all over the cabin.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a change of plan with this.

I've found a white 95 spec GT shell for sale and as I've always wanted one I'm grabbing it! So I've managed to sell the black GT to Aidan off here and getting the white shell to build the monster up in. Needs a few bodywork bits but I should be able to pick them up easily enough. Hoping to pick up the shell on Sunday but just waiting for my mate to let me know if hes free on Sunday to get it with his transporter :)

I know Jamie, I did say they were hard to find and all of a sudden one pops up. Speaking to my mate tomorrow whos hopefully able to pick up the car on his flatbed Wednesday, will nab some pics then :)

First thing to do is to give her a good clean and see where I need to go from there :)