Engine sound normal? Just to be sure...

Just to be sure, this ticking sound is normal, right? I heard it's the lifters ticking and I remember it doing it always but doesn't do harm to ask. :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/253693/glanza_stuff/ticking.mov

Should it go away after driving some time? I think I can hear it inside when accelerating and letting the throttle completelly off (AEM afr doesn't give any reading at that point naturally, as the engine is braking and it's not feeding any fuel). It's the same ticking, just a lot denser, like trrrrrrrrrr.

I'm using Valvoline 5W-40 oil and it's fresh.

Exhaust manifold isn't blowing anywhere is it, like agains the head or onto the turbo?

When mine started blowing on the mani to down pipe it made a clicking a bit like that, doesn't sound nothing harmful though.

Mine is n/a but the theory is the same.

Cheers mate. :) I thought so too but getting a bit paranoid while driving the first few hundred km with the boost upped to 1.1 bar and running only with ported oem mani. :D Really don't wanna blow anything up. AFR's look good otherwise but at higher speeds and on full boost the afr goes all the way to 10, so it's quite rich then. :D EGT and/or oil temp gauge might give some more peace of mind?

Edited by whitestar

Morgey: I suppose it's not blowing from there. My decat is blowing from against the turbo but that side it doesn't matter much? The Jperformance decat is a bit shit as it's almost impossible to get one of the bolts on as it's too close to the pipe...so it blows.

Ticking has always been there just noticed it when boosting a bit harder and letting the throttle off. Had only heard it while idling. Is tha 5W-40 synthetic oil ok?

Could be the decat blowing making the clicking. Like i said mine was a 4-2-1 n/a manifold so its slightly different.

5w-40 fully synth should be ok but most people will reccommend 10w40 or maybe 10w50 if its taking some hammering all the time.

Could be the decat blowing making the clicking. Like i said mine was a 4-2-1 n/a manifold so its slightly different.

5w-40 fully synth should be ok but most people will reccommend 10w40 or maybe 10w50 if its taking some hammering all the time.

its not blowing mate its where hes gone up to 1.1 bar meaning his injectors are working there ass off :)

Akyakapotter, I couldn't even use the original nut as this was just pure utter shite. :D

decat_nut.jpg

Had to blow torch it and hammer a big fat dent to get it even on them threads. :D Also the gap is so small between rad and decat. I had to cut a spanner half to be able to tighten it even this much as it is.

Morgey: yeah I believe it's not the decat as the sound was there from start before putting the decat in. Just got a bit paranoid when rolling on 4th with no throttle and hearing the distant trrrrr noise. :D Thanks for the input anyway, didn't know blowing can make that kind of sound too! We learn every day.... ;)

Edited by whitestar

think i done that one first and drilled the hole out a bit take a look at my for sale thread i put a pic up of it :)

Oh rite I see. It's blowing from exactly same spot. :D Might try two gaskets and exhaus seal paste if I can't get it sorted other way...thanks!

Might be interested in your mani actually, was it any good? :D

I think I might try some different oil next time is it would calm the ticking down. What oil you're using, akyakapotter?

i got told a tappy noise was the lifters or tappets/tappers god knows what he said haha but can something to sort it ? i cant remember what it is but a friends supra did it and an evo when they were imported same time as glanza and them two sorted it with some stuff can find out if you like ? or i might be going off on one about summit completely different lol !