Hi there!

I've just taken ownership of my first Starlet. It's a 1998 GLS auto (yes I know it's slow lol), I'm it's 2nd owner, previous owner being the wife's aunt.

Full Toyota service history

42k miles.

The car is very healthy for it's age with no knocks or rattles, everything working as it should and although there's an issue with me being quite large and not fitting in the passenger seat very well, it's lovely to drive :)

I'll be honest (and some may not like this bit) I've got it as a daily runner in an effort to save fuel and mileage on my plaything which is a 2003 Volvo V70 T5 (ex-police) with some choice mods and a large amount of personal touches.

Any way, about me... I'm 33, married and have a 4 year old son who's a proper petrolhead. He loves the Starlet as it looks like Lightning McQueen lol. I have a few sidelines doing wheel refurbs, vinyl wrapping and injector rebuilds but I'll get to that later.

I plan to do only small mods to the Starlet, which may grow as time goes on but for now, I'm working on getting the bodywork up to a good standard and improving the audio. I've also started on a full HID and LED conversion which I'll go into on another thread.

Here's some pictures (everybody likes pictures)

Martin.

P5090110_zpsc49cf4be.jpg

DSCF0189_zpsf191bb44.jpg

DSCF0192_zps0cc3ab57.jpg

1DBCBC37-orig_zpsd6b4d8e5.jpg

And my beast...

DSCF9988_zpsa060ad88.jpg

DSCF0093_zps75a135db.jpg

DSC04205.jpg

Thanks guys. As you'll see in a later thread (or two) there's been a fair bit of effort gone into both cars (the Starlet didn't take too much but the Volvo has taken 3 years to get to where she is), I like to have a nice clean motor ;)

Welcome to UKSO mate! Starlet looks mega clean. Actually really like the Volvo too!

Thanks mate. It's surprising how many people secretly admire the big swedish lumps.

As standard, they run 250bhp and 315 lb/ft, the plod gearbox is good for 146mph in 4th too. ;)

I've added a few performance mods recently - 3" maf to turbo pipe made by volvo tuning guru Tim Williams, an IPD BCS, 395cc injectors and wound the wastegate actuator in a bit too. She's making a smooth 16 psi and does 50-100mph in about 8 seconds or so.

I'll do a thread on it at some point of anybody's interested.

welcome mate looks so clean! would not dare have a auto starlet thow jeez!

Hehe yeah, it's considerably slower than I'm used to but I like the point n squirt go-kart feel. A manual conversion isn't out of the question in the future but it's all about the bodywork and interior for now. I have the other car for going fast should I feel the urge.

you may want to check my build thread out mate hehehehe......

Got a link? I'm still struggling with IPboard layouts (used to Vbulletin).

There's 2 problems I have with going fast in the starlet, compared to the Volvo...

1. I weigh 110 Kg which has adverse effects on the handling of a small car (plus the fact I don't fit into most bucket seats)

2. If I prang the volvo at 100+ mph (on a private road of course) I'll most likely walk away. Having watched the Euro Ncap videos for the starlet, I'd be lucky to walk away at half the speed. Maybe I'm getting old lol.

It doesn't mean however, that I won't appreciate the effort that's gone into some of the cars on here and I'm looking forward to browsing the build threads.

Welcome!

My uncle's mate had an ex-police 850 T5 years ago, first fast car I ever went it haha. My housemate also has a C70 T5, trying to convince him into getting a remap, but I'm sure when I start driving my GT Turbo again he'll be pressured into doing so :lol:

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/57275-iamlegends-1996-black-glanza-v/

:p

you should 100% boost the starlet then you will make your mind up.. get a roll cage :thumbsup:

Makes for interesting reading ;) How much ooomph do you recon these auto boxes can cope with before they leave a pile of metal on the road?

Welcome!

My uncle's mate had an ex-police 850 T5 years ago, first fast car I ever went it haha. My housemate also has a C70 T5, trying to convince him into getting a remap, but I'm sure when I start driving my GT Turbo again he'll be pressured into doing so :lol:

I could send you a link to a C70 T5 with 345+ bhp which, after some more testing and a custom map, should be touching 400bhp.

Just a remap on the C70 T5, depending on if it's ME7 or Motronic ecu (Motronic has a throttle cable, ME7 is fly-by-wire) and condition of the engine, 280bhp is easily achievable. The map for the Motronic is £150 and the ME7 map is £300.

Get him to sign up to VPCUK or T5D5 or volvotuning.net for inspiration ;)

Wow 400bhp should be potent! Is that on standard internals?

His is a W reg I think, so the older models. I'm sure when he realises his car is too slow for mine it won't take much persuasion for him to do a few upgrades hehe

W reg is 2000 so it'll definately be ME7. They have a better turbo (16t) and bigger 395cc injectors as well as a better inlet manifold but a temporamental throttle module. £300 should see 280+bhp with no supporting mods ;) I'd like to see a starlet keep up with that from 40mph onward ;)

The C70 wouldn't stand a chance against a tweaked Starlet off the line (C70 is over 1500Kg) but once they're moving they're surprisingly fast if driven right ;)