slightly worrying noises :o

Oh no lol, I've noticed a few times now that at low speeds, i can just about make out some noises coming from the back of the car over the sound cannon mine was fitted with by a previous owner. There's a chuf chuf chuf chuf noise that i think might be brake related, and a rhythmic clunking i can make out from time to time. anyone able to offer a shortlist of things these noises might be please?

Yeah ones under/in the discs.

If you have the full interior and its in good condition they can fetch upto £600 for a really good set.

If you sell them i think you should split them and sell me the door cards ;) as long as its ep91

Nope soz, its just the seats and there fitted to an ep82, dunno what they were originally from. I dont like the headrests cause they wont raise more than about 20mm lol, and my heads like 2'' above this.

Annoyingly, more has happened, so I'm turning this into a general pile of questions thread now lol. I went over a hidden pot hole earlier and the clunking got pretty bad, so Ive limped home, worried. how dodgy is it to roll around on a buggered bearing, can it damage other things if I ignore it till my next payday mid july? And selecting 1st and 2nd, and sometimes shifting out of second is getting difficult, im assuming its linkages that's the problem, but i'm not sure. Is there some kind of common problem this might be?

(Edited cause I thought it sounded rude lol) I don't think its the exhaust, the clunking is rhythmic, defiantly either cv or bearings. it stops under hard acceleration or breaking. How big of a job are syncros too, ive never had to deal with them?

Ive found a bit a of a dodgy job on the exhaust where someone has welded in some flexi section that seems to have disintegrated, how much would a garage want ot weld in a nice new one does anyone know?

Also, would I be able to run a bleed valve in series with the standard boost controller to raise the boost to around 11 psi on high boost but keep the standard high lo buttons, or will the controller compensate for the extra bleeding?

Edited by Chops

Starting to panic now! I limped it down to a mechanic mate of mine that looked the suspension and driveshaft over and couldn't see any problem, what else might clunk clunk clunk as you go along? minor panic at the thought of some sort of gearbox/diff failure. Anyone able to speculate???

My wheel bearings did the same. Got them changed and no more noise :) the only other thing I would have said is exhaust (as mine lost one of the hangers and made a clunking noise).

Sounds like wheel bearing mate, mines the same it's booked it to be changed this week

this is reassuring, tho I cant check to see if it is the bearing easily cause of the lsd mine has. Where does the zorst knock? this knocking is constant, speeding up and slowing down as I do :sad:

To check for wheel bearing play, jack the car up and shake, not violently, the wheel up and down. Then spin as fast as you can and listen for any grinding noise. If its a front wheel then get a pal to 'drive' the car in the air, whilst you pinpoint the noise.

Make sure your hub nut is properly tight, cant remember off hand but the torque setting is around the FT area.

Broken exhaust hangers, metal bits, are easy to spot. Rubber hangers might be worn or stretched causing the exhaust to bang on the rear axle.

As for the gear grinding, this could well be worn syncros. Pretty common for Starlet boxes tbh. Gearbox out job, strip down, replace and rebuild. 400 + quid area for that. Or buy a good con, few and far between, box.

But before you do that i'd drop and replace the gearbox oil, around 3L of 75w 90 is required. Brand of your choice.

My wheel bearings did the same. Got them changed and no more noise :) the only other thing I would have said is exhaust (as mine lost one of the hangers and made a clunking noise).

its deffo not the exhaust, its all held up and full of holes lol.

To check for wheel bearing play, jack the car up and shake, not violently, the wheel up and down. Then spin as fast as you can and listen for any grinding noise. If its a front wheel then get a pal to 'drive' the car in the air, whilst you pinpoint the noise.

Make sure your hub nut is properly tight, cant remember off hand but the torque setting is around the FT area.

Broken exhaust hangers, metal bits, are easy to spot. Rubber hangers might be worn or stretched causing the exhaust to bang on the rear axle.

As for the gear grinding, this could well be worn syncros. Pretty common for Starlet boxes tbh. Gearbox out job, strip down, replace and rebuild. 400 + quid area for that. Or buy a good con, few and far between, box.

But before you do that i'd drop and replace the gearbox oil, around 3L of 75w 90 is required. Brand of your choice.

its definitely the front passenger side, theres no grinding, just a bang bang bang when going along I thought it was cvs, but my mechanic mate said it wasn't.

bugger on the gear box side of it though lol

been messing with it this evening, its definitely driveshaft related. im pissed cause ive got a fmic and loads of things to fit, and now ive got this to sort first. ill get back to all on what the problem turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out, my alloy had stripped the threads off 3 wheel nuts on the passenger side and the wheel was moving across the face of the hub :wacko: . A lesson never to buy or run a car just bought with cheap ass chrome wheel nuts cause they 'look good' lol. No serious damage done thankfully, just scratched up the alloy a bit. Thanks for the help!