Turbo has gone :( Starlet must go

After fitting a new gearbox and clutch just after christmas i thought id have a few more years motoring or be able to get a half decent price on resale.. that was until yesterday when the turbo decided to go on me.. Lots of whiney noise and smoke and no boost at all :( ..

Sad sad day for me as the car has been almost problem free the 4 and 1/2 years since ive had it (first proper UK owner apart from the dealer who go it imported for me)

Been awesome to be part of this community and will be sad to see the V go as its brought me a lot of fun the last few years ive had it..

Edited by SooperD

Thats sad to here dude its just a turbo would only take about an hour and about £100 + to fix then it would be good for a good few years again.

Make a thread in the for sale section with pictures etc etc will sell faster then.

Is it that easy tho ? Im undecided on what to do with it to be honest.. How much do decent turbo's go for? Im not one for fiddling under the engine so would need someone to fit it etc for me too on the cheap.. Part of me wants to keep it as its such a nice fun car to drive, but ive had it for a long time and could do with a change too..

If its cheap and easy enough to get sorted and will help it sell easier i may have to get a new turbo and do it that way.

Cheers bud.

Pick up a good working ct9 for about 60 quid mate. Won't take more than an hour to fit, some of the cat bolts are a bastard to get to but thats about as hard as it gets. Don't let it put you off :(

Cheers for the input guys.. Really thought i would have been looking at £500+ for a turbo fitted aswell as ive not even looked at prices etc..Think ill do some investigating before making anymore rash decisions about it.. Really dont know what to do.. Going to look at a mk5 GTI golf tomorrow. Will have a good think over it tonight as I have loved the car since ive had it.

Again thanks for the encouragement peeps.. Just a kick in the nuts yesterday when it went :(

To be honest man getting the manifold and turbo off car be daunting the first time but its really not that hard. Theres a great guide on tgtt on how to do it. My main advice would be take your time, make sure the engine is warm before unbolting anything and use some wd40 (i actually prefer gt85) then use the round ends of spanners with a bar for leverage on the nuts that hold the mani onto the turbo.

I've recently built a car from a bare shell stripping my old glanza and i had no real experience before hand. These cars are extremely easy to work on, highly recommend you get your hands dirty. Save u a fortune in the long run

Just get a new turbo, ask about the breaking threads etc and see if you can get one for a decent price! I saw a guy change his whole turbo kit over in a couple of hours the other day at knockhill without ramps or removing bumpers etc so it cant be that hard! Lol

It's easy pal, so so simple a good tool set namely ratchet and adapters, extensions etc to get into the hard to get to places allow a day or two and just do it slowly over time. It shouldn't take more than a few hours but taking things slow can pay off. You'll be fine

Thanks all.. Theres a CT9 with decat on the for sale forums for only £75 :) .. Im gonna go on the hunt for some guides and see what kind of price a decent turbo is gonna set me back.. Got a guy on my street who likes to get his hands dirty and have a fiddle and said I shouldnt get rid I should get it sorted as its too nice to break up so maybe he might like a go at fitting a turbo :) haha..

Appreciate all your feedback guys i really do. Ive got some big decisions to make :)

Thanks for the offer Liam mate!

Cant say thanks enough to all the people that have replied on here to help me out with the decision with this car.. Im gonna have a few days to think things through and also keep an eye on the forums for any CT9's that pop up..

Cheers all!

mate ive owned my starlet 9 months and in that time ive replaced the turbo, clutch, 2 radiators, 2 manifolds, and my engine shit itself last month but its far too much fun to sell. lol, these are one of the easiest cars to fit a new turbo because of where its located so its nothing to worry about! p.s weve had every Golf gti there is and id rather have an ep with no engine anyday!! :p

Even fork out that little bit more and get a ready built kit with a good ct9 decat and aftermarket mani they pop up for £250 i know its more than a replacement turbo but when you factor in new gaskets and stuff plus the fact it then give you room to mod and get more power.

I find standard swap out jobs boring but when your improvig your car the job satisfaction is through the roof.

The worse thing you will ever do is trade a glanza for a mk5 golf I work for vag and have a gti as a runner and I can tell you now they are so boring its unreal

Also this ^^ You will not come close to a starlet in any form of VW unless its a new golf R or scirrocco R the rest are just shite.

Cheers for the find Stu :) .. As i said previously I thought the worst initially and was thinkin "I cant afford £5-600 to get this sorted im gonna have to just take a hit and get rid of it" but now im not so sure..

As for the golf's, I can see where your coming from but having driven 1 today it really was nice. Nowhere near the speed of the Starlet but still a sweet car and now I have some very big decisions to make.

Thanks all :)

• 2 weeks later...