Yes if the cap isnt pressurising the system it will all just boil into the exp tank.

Do the sniff test though sound like the HG is fukered. The fact its not over heating is strange but could just mean its not creating an airlock.

1st thing is 1st I would do the sniff test. If your coolant is smelly of petrol then the HG is gone.

Next I would try a rad cap.

Then I would flush out the heater matrix. To do this you drain the system remove the 2 water pipes that go through the bulkhead and put a hose in 1 of them and blast water through it then do the same with the other till all the gunk comes out.

Finally Id replace the thermostat.

Id do it in this order because its the least expensive 1st.

Starlet one won't fit bud

Cheers bud, I might buy a hole new radiator as i have a slight leak coming from this one I think as coolant keeps spraying everywhere on a long journey, noticed it on my intercooler piping

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like there could be air lock somewhere or water way blocked. Drain your system and exp. tank again, top up the rad and start the car without rad cap so the air can escape. Did you check, that the small hole on thermostat is pointing up?