Some pictures from my weekend away...

Took a little trip to Europe over the weekend, from Dover to Venice via the Alps and some of the greatest roads ever built.

Coming out of Thun on the road to Locarno in Italy you are faced with the Alps. Taking you over them is the Grimsall Pass, Firka Pass and the St Gotthard Pass (old road). Every single corner just made my jaw drop. By the end of the Gotthard pass we had to stop as the poor front brakes had caught fire :) hardcore...

Needless to say when the EP is finished, we'll be doing the trip again ;)

P1030883.jpg

Our noble steed, never put a foot wrong even when the brakes were alight.

P1030887.jpg

Heading up the Grimsall Pass

P1030889.jpg

View of the Grimsall Pass from the Firka Pass

P1030895.jpg

View heading up the Firka Pass

P1030902.jpg

Me eating Firka Pass tarmac

P1030904.jpg

The view from the top of the Firka Pass

P1030915.jpg

Two of many decent cars attacking the twisties that day...

P1030919.jpg

The St Gotthard Pass, that's two lanes but only one track, the clouds had come down by this point and visibility was about 4'

P1040132.jpg

Finally to Venice, to meet my wife for our wedding anniversary!

simply breath taking and awe inspiring! that is why i study geography at a higher level!

really makes me look forward to my ski trip to the alps in Jan even more now dude!!! awesome pics thanks for sharin them with us!!

and congrats to both u and your wife on your anniversary man!

Phil.

Cheers guys,

We're on our first anniversary...I was driving to meet the wife in Venice.

The tarmac was very even and smooth along the whole route, even the old road that was cobbled was smooth.

I reckon in the new year a trip should be on the cards? Anyone would be welcome to come along but it's a fair old drive to get there. Maybe drive to the Alps for a bit of skiing/boarding then drive some more. Cost wise it's not that bad really, fuel was arond 1.7 CHF which is about 70p a litre :)

Would anyone be up for a group drive?

yeah u'll find that in europe, well certainly in France and Germany from my experience (which is quite large in france) that the roads aresimply of a higher quality than ours! im convinced thats why road rae cycling is so much more popular there, the tarmac is just so much smoother! and then u compare it to wot we have here! :) ;)

Phil.

We gave the poor old car some stick but it wasn't made for those roads...especially when the brakes started to fade badly and there are NO barriers on the way down so instant death if you go over.

It'll be a different story if I do the trip in the EP, get those Outlaw 4 pots nice and warm :)