NEWBIE NEEDS HELP AND SUPPORT FELLOW STARLET LOVERS!

hello, i am also a newbie ive always had a love for starlet turbo's!!! I passed my driving test and just purchased a starlet sportif 1.3i 1997 (no1 ul even luk at me for insurance on a turbo) and i was wondering if anybody could help me with a few questions as its all new to me. I am really into the modding scene and i was wondering if i could add the glanza rear spoiler to my car? or would most of the later model glanza parts fit on my car? If anyone could help me or give me some knowledge i would be more than grateful! its on a R plate, 3dr and done around 68k miles! Id love to put ma car up beside some of urs one day!

I have also looked everywhere on the internet for body kits and all sorts but seem to be confused and baffeled as nothing is definately labelled for my specific model. Any guidlines, templates and general rules i should follow, whats a must have and what isn't and also parts that fit on my car aswell as diff models!

The original Glanza look really appeals to me and i would like that to be my starting template and adding suttle changes as i go along. Hopefully you all know what car i have as described as above and would also like to know if a glanza spoiler would be an easy straight fit?

Also member ecksjay helped me with the tyre PCD, offset and studs problem E.G:

"4 is the number of studs, 100 is the spacing apart, starlets are 4x100, the combined term is referred to as a PCD.

same with civics, older colts, mx5's etc.

the offset you require will depend on the width of the rims. ideally you will need an offset of around 37 or 38 (referred to as ET38 etc), if it differs too much from that then you may/will get scrubbage. if the width is large (i.e larger than 7") then you'll need to adjust the offset slightly, or order ones with a more correct width/offset anyway."

Cheers :lol:

welcome, fire some pics up mate.

as for the glanza parts. the spoiler and side skirts will fit straight on no problems, however if you want the front end it all has to be done, ie headlights, bonnet and front bumper. cant just change one its all or nothing as all 3 parts are different between the models and cant be mixed and matched.

check out a few other ep rides for some inspiration, and i feel with starlets exterier styling less is more. save your money for handaling and braking mods to really get the most of your n/a.

turbo time will come eventually but be patient. the n/a is an awsome car, i had one for 2 years before i got the glanza and i still love my n/a to bits. my little bro has it now.

any more help needed just ask.

keiran

welcome, fire some pics up mate.

as for the glanza parts. the spoiler and side skirts will fit straight on no problems, however if you want the front end it all has to be done, ie headlights, bonnet and front bumper. cant just change one its all or nothing as all 3 parts are different between the models and cant be mixed and matched.

check out a few other ep rides for some inspiration, and i feel with starlets exterier styling less is more. save your money for handaling and braking mods to really get the most of your n/a.

turbo time will come eventually but be patient. the n/a is an awsome car, i had one for 2 years before i got the glanza and i still love my n/a to bits. my little bro has it now.

any more help needed just ask.

keiran

thanks a lot for your reply :lol:

Uve been a great help!! when you say all or nothing regarding the front of the car....does this also include the grill? aswell as the bonnet, lights and bumper? Also i take it that the headlight are of a different shape or maybe a diff size, but do all the fittings remain the same? (as in screws, nuts and bolts all go into same holes and no cutting or welding would be required?)

Have you got any pics of your car? or even better your first car? and i will take the minimalistic idea into mind. i just want my car to look smart and get noticed but not something that people think he's really gon over the top. Something that would be appretiated hopefully :lol:

Cheers

heres my current car

Picture133.jpg

Picture118noplate.jpg

heres my old baby!

2006_01030073.jpg

and here they are together

Picture145.jpg

in terms of the fixtures and fittings im unsure as ive never done the conversion for myself mate. but you need the grill too i think.

The head lights fit in straight in. There exactly the same as the origionals just with a mask behind them. the only thing u might get is the indicator bulb might not fit in if your using the origionals from the na as on the glanza its a different bulb, but if you get them from toyota it comes witha new holder anyway. and the front bumper comes with the grill to put on its all one piece. ive not done it my self but i did think about it and decided not to.

As regards to the body kits there isnt that much out there that you can just buy off the shelf. bummer. but there is a few there is the shop on here that i here is good but i havent personaly bought anything from them. the only proper body kits ive ever seen is a tom's body kit but i havent found anywhere that sells them online. but ive been busy and havent been looking very hard.

also if you intrested i can help with the audio side of things as it my job lol. im the ripspeed expert for halfords in a glasgow area so i know what im on about but the people on here know quite a lot as well. but the offers there if u need it.

hope to here from you soon and see the work that u get up 2 on the starlet

Welcome to the site mate.

Its great to see another enthusiastic N/A owner on the scene. :lol:

Regarding the glanza headlights, they will fit but they are longer in size than the originals you have so the bonnet either wont close properly or look so odd it wont be worth it unless u get it modified. Its true to change the front end you will need all the parts or nothing at all. EP91 is our chassis/model code and refers to starlets produced from 1996 onwards through to 1999. The model one step down is called EP82 (turbo) / EP80 (non turbo) with the EP82 known as the infamous GT Turbo and ranges from 1990 to late 1995. The Glanza V is the EP91 turbo model with the Glanza S the non-turbo Glanza kitted version. The majority of non turbos you will see on the site are UK spec EP91's. All engines are 1.3 as standard.

The Glanza bodykit is the most subtle of them all, and can be found on glanza's breaking for spares, avoid buying brand new from toyota unless absolutely necessary as their prices are extortionate. Parts crop up from time to time so try to keep your eyes out.

I have invested a lot of time, money and personal development into my red 98 EP91 which is now running a 1.5 engine and upgraded extensively in almost all possible areas with scope for more. The emphasis on a total driving experience embodied with innovative n/a tuning and jdm styling. The ideal route altho not gospel is to go for Handling, Braking, Styling, then Power or a combination of all. The cost does amount up, but if you want to create something truly special, this can be achieved in due time.

Here are some past pics of it that may give you some inspiration, if you want to find out more about it feel free to read my extreme ep thread for ideas and to see my n/a's humble beginnings or checking my interactive slideshow which I highly recommend :lol:

Joz's Slideshow.

Here are some good angles so you can how good the glanza kit can work along with some subtle touches of your own.

DSCN0507-1.jpg

DSCN0401-2.jpg

DSCN0502-1.jpg

No recent engine pics yet tho Im afraid, work in development :lol:

There are also plenty of other non-turbo ep91s that may give you ideas of all the different possibilities too. These photos are from a recent N.I meet.

DSCF1146.jpg

DSCF1110.jpg

We all had to start somewhere and there is no better time than now, congrats on just passing your test by the way, the real test starts now and that is on the road.

Follow ecksjay's wheel fitment advice as he knows what he's talking about.

The Glanza spoiler will also fit on as the non turbo ep91 is the same shape as the glanza so no complications there, even the spoler brake light wires up fine. So basically all bodyparts you see available or on a glanza will fit us n/a people besides the glanza front end and glanza front end intended parts where the full whammy is required.

Good luck with your project, drive safe and enjoy this site to the full. Feel free to add me to msn jozman18@hotmail.com, I would be more than happy to answer any questions and put you on the right track, the rest is up to you.

Joz - UKSC Moderating Team

uksc.jpg

Hello there, and welcome to the forums matey!

If you're really serious about making it look like a Glanza, I advise you take a look at Idree's thread here. His work is stunning, taking a normal Starlet (might have been an SR actually, but theres no difference really), and gotten and fitted all the Glanza stuff. It really does look awesome. It also shows the work involved etc.

The head lights fit in straight in. There exactly the same as the origionals just with a mask behind them. the only thing u might get is the indicator bulb might not fit in if your using the origionals from the na as on the glanza its a different bulb, but if you get them from toyota it comes witha new holder anyway. and the front bumper comes with the grill to put on its all one piece. ive not done it my self but i did think about it and decided not to.

As regards to the body kits there isnt that much out there that you can just buy off the shelf. bummer. but there is a few there is the shop on here that i here is good but i havent personaly bought anything from them. the only proper body kits ive ever seen is a tom's body kit but i havent found anywhere that sells them online. but ive been busy and havent been looking very hard.

also if you intrested i can help with the audio side of things as it my job lol. im the ripspeed expert for halfords in a glasgow area so i know what im on about but the people on here know quite a lot as well. but the offers there if u need it.

hope to here from you soon and see the work that u get up 2 on the starlet

Thanks mate, really apretiate the advice and the offer to help me out with the sound system! :lol: i do know how to wire up systems done quite a few now, but when it comes to capacitors and extra batteries its a long shot for me as ive never gon that far! would you recomend the ripspeed monitors that are available at halfords as some people tell me there really cheap and tackey but there extremely cheap then the alpine and pioneer models on the market nowadays. :lol:

Cheers mate :lol:

Thanks a lot mate, i cant belive how much depth youve gon into and how much time u've spent in replyinh. this is my first time in a forum and its amazing how friendly people are and how ready they are to help! :lol: Your a star mate, when i get paid and start saving up youl get loads of pictures and all sorts put up.

Your a star!

Thanks a lot mate, i cant belive how much depth youve gon into and how much time u've spent in replyinh. this is my first time in a forum and its amazing how friendly people are and how ready they are to help! :lol: Your a star mate, when i get paid and start saving up youl get loads of pictures and all sorts put up.

Your a star!

You're welcome mate.

Help and advice is always at hand when its needed, but feel free to take a direction of your own also.

Keep the faith, save hard and you shall be rewarded :lol:

Hope to see you in some forum discussions mate, you'll soon get used to it.

Remember to explore the rest of the site as there is so much information to offer.

Joz

hello!! do u know a standard N/A Starlet tailgate you can fit a standard normal long number plate, where can you get that glanza luk one? is there anywhere that i could purchase one from? (i mean the adapter so then you can only fit a little square numberplate, i think) lol :lol:

The Glanza Tailgate or Rear Surround as we say requires a small amount of work to make it fit including holes that need to be made.

Check Idree's Bananza for an idea of what is involved or get in touch with the man himself.

Joz

Speak of the devil!!

I have the Glanza reg plate surround on my SR

Before:

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

After:

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

As you can see I've got quite a handful of other OEM Glanza parts too, including the later spec front end..

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00909.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

Plenty to more yet to come! :lol:

If you need any help, just ask.

Welcome to the club mate :p

Helpful bunch o' lads ey?? :lol:

If you want a body kit type of thing for the Starlet check the ToyTuning store on this forum, although for the front bumper to fit you would need the headlights bonnet and grill which has been mentioned :lol:

The skirts and rear bumper would fit straight on :lol:

Fire up some pics of your Starbo :lol:

Welcome to the club mate :lol:

Helpful bunch o' lads ey?? :D

If you want a body kit type of thing for the Starlet check the ToyTuning store on this forum, although for the front bumper to fit you would need the headlights bonnet and grill which has been mentioned :lol:

The skirts and rear bumper would fit straight on :lol:

Fire up some pics of your Starbo :lol:

LOL i will, but its such a piece of shite LOL its really standard! Il put sum pics up hopefully tonight but then again i dont know how to put any pics up. It just asks for links of the website instead of me being able to upload one! Like ive said numerous times you lot are great and are so much help, ive also learnt how to weld and all sorts now so body work HOPEFULLY shouldnt be a problem for me! :D

Thanks for all your replies and feedback :p

Cheers :p

• 11 years later...

Hey guys i have a ep95 (4wd) Toyota reflet, 2 door. Been reading through this thread. My car currently has no lip spoiler and I’d like to fit the glanza to my existing boot. Can anyone please advise what’s required in fitting this? There are no connection points so is this glued in place? If so with what? And are there holes to be drilled or anything? Thanks in advance. 

Heath