slight panic! '95 gt advance emisions letter?

hi all, just failed an mot over emissions. The mot tester says i need a letter from toyota explaining that the enginge is incapable of passing british emissions standards, or some toss. Anyone know what hes referring to, or got one they could scan for me or summet? cheers fro any help!

Theres a lot of wrong info on this subject, mainly due to most MOT testers being wanks.

I'm training to be a MOT tester by the way lol.

Anyway, some info.

'The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most spark ignition petrol engined passenger cars with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992'

Try this,

Vehicles Fitted with a different engine

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.

e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: Its down to the vehicle presenter

to prove engine age.

Since most starlets have had an engine swap its worth a shout :)

Also,

The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.

e.g. A 1995 car first used in Japan has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet Catalyst emission limits, then use the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC )2000r pm.

Thats why you need a letter, according to your MOT tester.