Would this FMIC be ok?

Looking at buying this intercooler kit on payday..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-STARLET-GLANZA-GT-TURBO-EP91-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-HARD-PIPE-KIT-NEW-/360761467628?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ff0f22ec

Yes, it's a eBay special. However, from my VW background a test was undergone on a £200 eBay kit and a Forge £1000 kit. The intake temperature was under .5 of a degree hoter in the cheap one.

That doesn't justify £800 extra for me.

Eitherway, the clamps look awful. Would it be worth investing in some Mikler/Miklar? (I think) ones to stop them popping off on boost?

Also the core looks quite large, is that the kind of size they mainly are?

Thanks

ebay ones are bang on fine

run one for quite a while years back and was brilliant,lovely big core on them and they are pressure tested to pressures u wont ever get near.

have one currently and its brilliant again with no issues

there brand new for about £188

ebay ones are bang on fine

run one for quite a while years back and was brilliant,lovely big core on them and they are pressure tested to pressures u wont ever get near.

have one currently and its brilliant again with no issues

there brand new for about £188

It's good to hear. The £188 linked one. Which kind of piping is this?

I would like to avoid a FMIC with the pipes that hand stupidly low under the bumper?

Also is this the "short" route or the longer route system?

On this topic, do people ever make their own kits, ie. with a universal core from eBay for example, then universal piping and decent joinings and clamps like Samco.

I'm only guessing but this shouldn't cost any more, or as much, as one of the well-known brands, and you could build it perfectly around your car..

This is something I may do when I come to get an FMIC actually..

I've got this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-STARLET-EP82-EP91-INTERCOOLER-KIT-/121114457615?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c32fbf60f

It's not as big as the HDI rep but I think it's big enough, and it has the short route piping! Fitting was quite easy too. :) Didn't have to cut the bumper much and was able to still keep my AC.

glanza7.jpg

Edited by whitestar

i bought an ebay special just like this, at this price advertised for an ep82 and i cant fault it. pressure drops a bit crappo buti can hold the post core pipe bare handed after long runs and not get burnt, so it must be pretty effective lol. i think its piping also had more sections to it than the hdi kit its based on too, so its easire to position about the bay. :)

Edit the link above is the vary same i bought, suggested by the very same person who suggested it to me lol.

Edited by Chops

Thanks Whitestar, I did find the pics in your thread, I was just being dozy at the time lol

That's a great article Socks!

So from what I can see, Whitestar has the HDI-style setup, which is the better of the 2, yeah?

And regarding how you can get rid of the EFI pipe and mount the filter at the front, is this possible with the standard top mount? I can't picture the standard piping / intake route off the top of my head.. But mine has a HKS mushroom at the back corner of the engine bay...

Could I get rid of the standard pipe and mount the filter up front, or do I need an aftermarket intercooler to do so?