Mk3 were the last good golfs. The mk4 was totally shit and overpriced. The po-lows arent bad. The good thing about vw is you can get a nasty durty whore of a yoke for £300 motd cut the springs, tramp stamp it camber the bitch and have.the best summer ever drivin low n slow safe in the knowledge that the wee sr is sitting, waiting like the loyal wee chariot of heroes that it is for your return. Sell her lad move on and enjoy the memories

2001 6n2 polo gti a mate sold his for £1200 about a Year ago

Noooooooooo... don't do it. As a former huge Polo fan I had one and they are not particularly fun to drive, in fact lousy handling over rough stuff - can't push on with speed at all. A Honda engineer told me that they checked one out and it had mostly standard Polo suspension. And although quality BBS wheels and such like they have a design fault VW acknowledged which means total gearbox failures.

You might just as well get yourself a 16v spec model and use it as a starting point.

Edited by dazstarlet

Yeah they have there problems. his was dumped on coilovers and had image rims that he sold separate. But yeah the gearbox went once and was prob the reason he sold it as it was due to go again.

Was a nice car though and with the right bits done them 1.6 16v's can certainly shift!

Pedal boxes are prone for snapping on the welds.

Day

Oh yes, forgot about that. That was a recall too. Gearbox was not good for VW reputation in my opinion. All German peeps with failures got free replacements, all UK failures got if you were lucky and pestered them enough was afaik a 'contribution' to a new box. Well gee thanks VW, thanks for helping me to pay for your f*ck up. Got shot of mine after 8 months. My last VW - ever.