ridiculously low oil pressure after rebuild

I noticed to be getting a bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust today and im not quite sure whether its a problem or if its normal. I haven't drove the car for near 7 months so i cant remember exactly how the exhaust smoke looked before..

It does it from start up and continues until the engine is warm, smoking enough to worry me to be honest.... and i do remember white smoke coming from the engine before it was rebuilt, and when the head gasket was removed then it was soaked in petrol (engine was over-fuelling but i dunno if thats why it would be).

Anyway heres some pictures does anyone else's smoke like this..

IMG-20131106-01029_zpse1995c0e.jpg

IMG-20131106-01032_zps9b522843.jpg

IMG-20131106-01030_zps46147e6e.jpg

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valve stems would give blue smoke on startup, if it's going on it could be head gasket - burning water… Are you losing any? Any smell of fuel in the cooling system? Pressure in there?

Could be condensation, as it's getting cold (ambient temp) and it's also been sat have you given it chance to clear out?

na white for turbo seals and valve stem seals and loss of compression will blow white as well

just outta curiousity have you done a compression test since rebuild ?

No bud not yet actually, i only have a shitty ebay tester i dunno if it'll be up to the job. But i'll try get a hold of one and check ASAP..... around what psi am i looking for mate? I know it was 140psi from cylinders 1-3 and 70 on cyl4 when the ringlands had went.

Valve stems would give blue smoke on startup, if it's going on it could be head gasket - burning water… Are you losing any? Any smell of fuel in the cooling system? Pressure in there?

Could be condensation, as it's getting cold (ambient temp) and it's also been sat have you given it chance to clear out?

Hoping its condensation, but not entirely convinced! I dont think i give it a chance to clear - the engine reached operating temperature and sat there for 5mins but the fan never kicked in so i turned it off...

And it had a 20mile journey during which it lost a little water i must admit, but only a little. Couldn't smell fuel at all under the bonnet but i didnt smell around the radiator, and what about the pressure? Would pressure force water into the reservoir or what..

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

if theres a leak on the gasket or heads cracked/warped you'd get exhaust gasses forced into the coolant system, hard pipes and pressure in rad, I'd give it a good joinery and blast and see if it settles.

did you have the head skimmed?

whats the temp gauge do?

You got the throttle body water/vac pipes the wright way round?

Have you a picture of yours so i can compare it to mine? Its a possibility mate..

if theres a leak on the gasket or heads cracked/warped you'd get exhaust gasses forced into the coolant system, hard pipes and pressure in rad, I'd give it a good joinery and blast and see if it settles.

did you have the head skimmed?

whats the temp gauge do?

Yea mate the head was skimmed and a new Toyota hg fitted. The pipes didnt feel hard and i had left the radiator cap off to bleed the system at first and the water wasnt even jumping around on top - im guessing no pressure? It used to bubble and spit before the rebuild!

The temp gauge sat at a constant working temp level, but after a few minutes i expected the fan to come on and it never.. (obv new fan switch required for peace of mind) ..so i switched it back off and left it.

Heres a pic of the VAC/water lines.

20130318_201038_zps72e5be8e.jpg

I doubt yours are wrong though because you'd have most likely used all your water on a 20 mile run.

I reckon its down to the very low temps we're getting atm.

Keep an eye on it though Ryan.

sounds good, i'd go take it out now!

It needs wheel alignment first mate its a bit off at the minute from fitting new track rod ends. thanks for letting me know

I can get you some pics tomorrow if you like mate? just its abit to dark atm! ive also edited my post above now sure if you noticed or not

I just seen it there mate, hope it is something minor like a wrong arrangement or cold temps. Daniel just threw up a cracking pic but cheers mate, appreciate it.

Heres a pic of the VAC/water lines.

20130318_201038_zps72e5be8e.jpg

I doubt yours are wrong though because you'd have most likely used all your water on a 20 mile run.

I reckon its down to the very low temps we're getting atm.

Keep an eye on it though Ryan.

Thanks alot buddy thats a great help, ill go grab a torch and have a check to be safe.

I hope it is man, its due a little bit of work then ill be keeping an eye on it the next while and report back. Does yours smoke much when its cold?

Again, thanks for your help

As above probably nothing but piece of mind do a compression test imo

I will indeed mate cheers

anyone know roughly what psi to hope for?

In the cold 4efte's do show a little bit of white smoke yeah, it's had me worried a few times.

I must say it was pretty cold outside but i thought the white smoke might have went away at working temperature which it didnt seem to..am i right in thinking that? Or would it have a slight white smoke during cold temperatures regardless of engine temperature?

Guess i'll soon find out when its back on the road.

Lol.. I know exactly how you feel mate, i've only owned the GT a year and half that its been getting rebuilt so any wonder!

Im hopeful but still not convinced about the cold temp thing until i know for sure thats the problem. Until then ill just worry my nutsack off everytime i look at it! haha