ridiculously low oil pressure after rebuild

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish buddy, my car is turbo… Diesel french megane crap, just looking for a starlet again (Number 3) THINK I have found one worthy of viewing this weekend but that is literally it everything else I've seen looks like it's been dragged through halfords backwards or raced around macdonalds endless amounts!

I wish buddy, my car is turbo… Diesel french megane crap, just looking for a starlet again (Number 3) THINK I have found one worthy of viewing this weekend but that is literally it everything else I've seen looks like it's been dragged through halfords backwards or raced around macdonalds endless amounts!

What you thinking of bud gt or glanza?

i would do a compression test and if all is well your and your not loosin water, then its most likely condensation in the exhaust it will take a short while to clear, give it a good run and some boost through it should clear it :)

Thats dead on im gonna get that done tomorrow then. Looks as though all vac/hose lines were the right way aswell, so im hoping it was just condensation.. It was sheet white every morning from sunday to this morning so probably would be a brave bit of moisture!

I'll take it for a short run when i can and check the water levels, whats my position if its using lots of water? Could it be head gasket related even after a rebuild?

depends if all head bolts were all torqued down correctly bud,

could well be hg compression test will tell u everything u need to know

true. thanks mate.

do i do the test under wide open throttle as in foot down? my friend said not to bother with that just crank it for 7-8 seconds, any reason why you do it either way?

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

I did a compression test there using a good snap-on tester and found: 85, 85, 84, 85. Now I don't know an awful lot but I know somethings up here? Engines only rebuilt, not by me by an engine reconditioning company and has only had 20miles run in before the test...

Now the engine was cold I must admit but I don't wanna start the engine up and let it run to optimum tempeature if there is something severely wrong here..feels like it!

Anyone shed any light?

Was it overbored when getting rebuilt ?

Idealy you want to do a 'leak down test' for this you would need a compressed air supply. Basically lets you know how much and where gas is escaping from in the engine, ie past the bores or through the valves if theyre not sealing correctly. Theres a bit more to it than that but you get the idea.

The engine builders should have donw this before handing you your engine back.

Heres a pic of the VAC/water lines.

20130318_201038_zps72e5be8e.jpg

I doubt yours are wrong though because you'd have most likely used all your water on a 20 mile run.

I reckon its down to the very low temps we're getting atm.

Keep an eye on it though Ryan.

Daniel you need to start charging people for this picture lol

Haha, i've put it up a good few times now, should pop up if someone searches for it. That pic was the hoses on my old silver GT :) Had just fitted a nice freshly painted inlet to it. I made up an ABS delete kit the next day, if you look on the firewall the brake pipes are open.

I get where you're coming from Daniel makes a bit more sense to me that way! Thanks, and tbh I wouldve expected the leakdown test done, but I know for a fact they company closed early the day I got the engine back so it coulda been thrown together and out the door if you get me. And they hadn't noticed I'd left pistons with the engine so they didn't start the work til the day before I got the engine back - a bit off topic but there's doubts in my head thinking about it now.

There was water lost in the 20 mile driving home so a headgasket is still possible. BUT..

I tried to warm the car up to do another comp and wet test, basically car got to three quarters temp and idle dropped real low so It was turned off and tested, thsee are the results:

Half warm comp test - 89,98,92,86

Wet test @ same temp - 99,99,93,85

What am I looking at now then? Piston ring problem?

I got speaking to another fella who has built his own vauxhall racing engines and says low pressure is to be expected straight after a rebuild. Over the course of the bedding in miles things need to wear in i.e the valves become seated and as you bed the rings in as well as other things gradually the compression increases.

Haha, i've put it up a good few times now, should pop up if someone searches for it. That pic was the hoses on my old silver GT :) Had just fitted a nice freshly painted inlet to it. I made up an ABS delete kit the next day, if you look on the firewall the brake pipes are open.

It worked a treat buddy and real clean & tidy looking :)