ridiculously low oil pressure after rebuild

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did ask for the block to be decked so the hg would fit properly, I'm not totally convinced it was done now to be honest if I'm still having these problems. I left a torque spec sheet up along with new Toyota oem bolts, the guys had all the information there or as much as I knew.

The pressure just seems way too low for a new engine, even if it does take a while to build up. I don't know what to do atm, whether to pull the head off now or wait and phone the guy tomorrow and find out what they really did.

I definately won't be moving it Russ, its lying locked up until I found what happened for sure. And where I go from here.

So I'm basically gonna be asking them did they skim the block, torque the bolts down correctly, and clock the rings proper - is that the only 3 possibilities which would lead to low compression?

As I said to Daniel it did lose a good bit of water over the 20mile journey (which it was driven VERY lightly) bringing it home, enough to let the fins at the top of the rad show.

Thanks for everything til now guys i just need to know where i stand when i phone up? Im gonna phone explain whats going on and ask

1-was the block skimmed before fitting head gasket - it used a big enough bit of water within 20mile

2-was the head torqued down according to the spec sheet

I know there wasn't a leak down test done come to think of it as i came at the end of the job, and i seen him torquing the last of the head bolts down. After that we lifted it into the van and took it home.

Should he have done a leak down test before giving me it back as a final check?

Is the responsibility on him to sort this? Even if it requires new piston rings to be clocked in again?

cheers for all the help.

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

And i just have to say because its on my mind but if i havent bedded the rings in through a long run in period would the compression not be low for a while yet anyway?

Or are these figures incredibly low even for that?

In saying that when the the cyl4 went before the rebuild you could hear it was off a cylinder at 70PSI and now its only at 85-86PSI..

Possibly somethings up with the compression rings there then?

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

If it helps any mate, i fitted a headgasket last month to my gt, it didnt need it but the valve stems were hardened so i changed all the head stuff. Theres also white smoke comes out of mine on warm up but clears depending how cold it is outside this weather. itll seem like its smoking some nights there but its just the same effect if you breathe when its cold too. Not loosing any coolant or oil (i hope). Think its normal enough. Also done a compression test last week and all 4 chambers showing 155 - 160 psi. I done it myself and was too awkward to see the gauge and put the foot on the throttle so it was idle throttle position.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this post but update for pressure figures..

If it helps any mate, i fitted a headgasket last month to my gt, it didnt need it but the valve stems were hardened so i changed all the head stuff. Theres also white smoke comes out of mine on warm up but clears depending how cold it is outside this weather. itll seem like its smoking some nights there but its just the same effect if you breathe when its cold too. Not loosing any coolant or oil (i hope). Think its normal enough. Also done a compression test last week and all 4 chambers showing 155 - 160 psi. I done it myself and was too awkward to see the gauge and put the foot on the throttle so it was idle throttle position.

Try turn the butterfly valve on the throttle body next time mate saves the hassle of getting into the car or getting someone else to help! I don't seem to be losing any water/coolant after long drives so im happy enough atm! Also managed to comp test mine at WOT and got 120, 120, 120, 117, I think the compressiojn is due to rise with the mileage tho...

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

Forgot about this post but update for pressure figures..

Try turn the butterfly valve on the throttle body next time mate saves the hassle of getting into the car or getting someone else to help! I don't seem to be losing any water/coolant after long drives so im happy enough atm! Also managed to comp test mine at WOT and got 120, 120, 120, 117, I think the compressiojn is due to rise with the mileage tho...

my arms def arent long enough to be turning the throttle and turning the key at the same time lol

no no, i know exactly what the butterfly valve is for the throttle, i just cant reach it at the same time as im turning the key to get a reading on the compression tester lol. honestly. could maybe get my big toe to flick it back though 8). Also, another thought about the white smoke/vapour, Have a look at your charcoal canister and make sure the pipes are connected correctly. I had a car once that smoked like that, i changed the canister and it helped it alot. Not saying thats what it is, but ya could try it.