As there is so much scamming going on lately and the mods are effectively unable to do anything, is there anyway of introducing a minimum post number before you can sell items and if you want to sell that you have to give your address to admin to help try and stop people scamming others, as mods can ban them but there is nothing stopping them signing up again with another username and selling again, just a suggestion as i think its getting a bit out of hand, obviously this is my own opinion and i respect otheres opinion on this as im sure everyone will have different views on this :D

It would be very hard to regulate, even with regular posters, there are still people would pull a fast one.

Realistically the only way to prevent people from scamming is to have a UKSO holding account. Not sure on the legalities of it, taxes etc. Maybe an accountant could shed some light on that area.

For example, say you want to purchase an item from another member, you send the payment to UKSO. The payment is then held until the goods are signed for (all goods sent via recorded delivery) and are as described. Once given the all clear the payment is then released to the seller.

Obviously the above isn't really feasible as a lot of administration is involved and would near be a full time job for the club staff.

Another thing to consider is shipping costs if arranged by the buyer. For example someone pays £50 for the courier to collect the goods and the seller doesn't show or is not in, the buyer will lose the £50. Another way to avoid the buyer losing out, the seller deposits the shipping costs in the hypothetical UKSO account. Before that happens the buyer needs to provide proof of what was paid. If it goes according to plan the seller gets the deposit back. If it goes wrong the buyer needs to provide proof that the courier call, but no one was available.

The above is just a thought and will probably never happen due to the mammoth task of running such a system.

I've noticed on a lot of car clubs/forums if there is a minimum post count for access to something, useless crap gets posted everywhere! Replying to more then one person with multiple posts when you can just multi-quote them etc.

A few of my suggestions to help buyer protection:

-Club membership sign up mandatory field - Enter your address. UKSO send you a code via the post (The membership may need to be put up by £1 to cover this), you enter the code on the forum, which grants you access to the for sale section on that account.

-When posting for sale ad's, They must have mandatory picture's with the persons' username beside it on a piece of paper. So if I was to sell a rocker cover, i'd have a piece of paper beside it with "Jamie5414 - UKSO" on, take a picture and use that in the ad. This stops scammers getting a lot of money, because they don't even have the items to take pictures of :)

-Have a feedback system, If they have no feedback, be weary and ask the necessaries before buying. If it sounds too good to be true don't buy it. (This isn't one of my preferred idea's, as it can be exploited of course. But it is a extra level of awareness).

-I'm unsure weather VPN's are blocked on this forum, If not this may be another good thing to do/precaution to have?

-No instant sign up, Staff approve each user onto the forum - checking their ISP/IP before accepting. Obviously if their ISP is "Cyber Ghost INC", then deny them.

Also, Unless people know the "scammer" by name - Moderators & Sys Admins are not supposed to release information about the account associated with forum(s) running certain software, It's protected by the Data Protection Act. If the scammers are stupid enough to sign up using their own name as their username, fair enough :)

As said above by Rock, these precautions/measures will only slow them down, but this is good. A scammer won't like going through all these procedures just to make £50. They will go to another forum without any safety for buyers, it's quicker and easier.

On the other hand, this is a lot more work for staff, it is up to them what steps are implemented with their capabilities,

Edited by Jamie5414

How about if they want to be a seller, they must have their address registered with the club. This is verified by a letter being sent with an auth code which is then entered on the UKSO site when received.

Like paypal, you would also need to find a way of validating the address against another means of identity, but at least UKSO would have the name address and a form of identity to give the police or authority in the case of any discrepancy.