Fan on constantly.

Did the engine swap, plugged the fan back up and when the ignition was on the fan went on straight away? :S.

Engine hadn't even been run for 2 days so was dead cold. Now whenever the ignition is on the fan is on too?

Any ideas guys? All I did was plug the 1 connector back in as normal.

Wrong connector maybe. Or you might need to bridge the connections.

You do on a gt but not a glanza. But :/

Can't have the wrong connector man, only 1 plug on the whole car goes into the fan one lol!

Same loom, same fan, same connector.. Just now it's on constantly :s.

Be an old style sensor, you need a newer one.

old style they work the opposite way around.

off until a connection is made (gets hot makes a circuit) break in wire you have no fan.

New style is off until connection is lost (gets hot breaks the circuit) its a fail safe as if the wire breaks it cuts in and you won't risk over heating.

If you car could get up to temp I bet the fan would turn off ;)

Edited by morgey

Be an old style sensor, you need a newer one.

old style they work the opposite way around.

off until a connection is made (gets hot makes a circuit) break in wire you have no fan.

New style is off until connection is lost (gets hot breaks the circuit) its a fail safe as if the wire breaks it cuts in and you won't risk over heating.

If you car could get up to temp I bet the fan would turn off ;)

Turn off? Seriously? Do I need to take a sensor off that's plugged in then?

Unplug the sensor and see if it stops.

then run a wire from the connector to an earth. See if it stops or starts

1)If it stays running when unplugged but stops when earthed then your sensor is open when cold but needs to be closed.

2) if it stops when disconnected then your sensor is closed when cold but needs to be open.

1)If it stays running when unplugged but stops when earthed then your sensor is open when cold but needs to be closed.

2) if it stops when disconnected then your sensor is closed when cold but needs to be open.

Gotcha batman. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 11/10/2013 at 11:13 PM, morgey said:

I have this same issue. On my mk3 gt turbo 1994. The fan is always on constantly. Mines is 1) stays running when disconnected and when earthed it stops.

is anyone able to confirm if it means I need the old type fan switch sensor or new type by this please? 

On 3/21/2024 at 1:33 PM, akyakapotter said:

Has the ac been removed ? If so you need to bridge one of the connectors by the battery. Will stop the fan coming on straight away. 

3.thumb.jpg.d36864a33244c832fd6131f4045208a8.jpg.51f2c7c0220d5944c998c413c06b4d8c.jpg5.thumb.jpg.58e7a3b09339b543b7a5ddf0449014ba.jpg.5328276bb43d0d2d75aee7f8d217158a.jpg

Managed to sort it now put an older type switch in and it worked :) the fan is now coming on at around 92 degrees is that correct and good for a 5E running 280bhp or would it be better to invest in a low temp thermostat? 

Edited by Nilz90