5efte problem

My mates 5EFTE is smoking really bad on tick over.

When driving its fine but as soon as you stop and lights or anywhere it puffs and puffs of white darkish smoke. Like big time. Clouds of it. Out of a 3 inch side exit. Is this piston rings or?

Its a forged 5e. Bought of pistonheads. Someone owned called sam_glanz? Says its only rebuily 900 miles ago. And he built himself. Here is the spec engine wise.

it honestly pours smoke out on tickover big time. Also the oil catch can was full of gunk and had to be cleaned. Also has smoke coming out of the oil cap on rocker cover.

ENGINE (900 miles)

Wossner Forged Pistons 75mm

Wossner piston rings

PEC Forged Rods (5e)

5E Block Skimmed, honed, crack tested & Notched for Rods, chemically cleaned

5E crank, polished

Custom Race Spec Rocker Cover With twin breathers

NGK Iridium Spark plugs

ARP head bolt

ARP rod bolts

ACL Conrod Bearings

ACL Main Bearings

Sard Low Temp Thermostat

ACT Paddle Clutch and pressure plate (4efte)

Assaco lightened and balanced Flywheel (4efte)

Smoke coming out of oil cap sounds like rings have gone :( compression test it and go from there. As above white smoke is water is he loosing coolant. Are the rad hoses going rock hard co2 leak test will conferm if the gasket has gone. hope it's not broken sounds like the lad off piston heads knew it was fooked and just wanted rid :(

Ill have a look at the water lines, but it is abit lumpy as well as if its (cammed) it does smoke alot out of the oil cap. And saying that he did have to his rad up as it was empty of water. I will check it. As well he payed £4200 only had 2 weeks i think this kid who sold it knew something was up with it.. does any one know the compression on these? What it should be

TRY THIS FIRST!!

The PCV valve is on top of the rocker cover and is connected to the throttle body.

Take the pipe off the throttle body and block it up using a nut so there's no vacuum leak.

Take it for a quick spin and see does the smoke get any better.

If it does then your PCV is broken and you need a new one.

Man your engine cant breather if both pipes lead to the catchcan, the can would need a breather on top.. Reconnect the breather pipes and try again. For the craic disconnect the catch can and try it out. Is there any gunk inside the oilcap, is the engine happier with the oilcap off. Hows your oil colour, have you pulled out the sparkplugs?

"Cleaned out gunk from the oil catcher" is the kindest way he could have put it, literally poured for about a minute water and white gunk. It was filled up to the brim with water which explains the steam and bubbling from the line into the oil catcher. (Catcher does have a breather on top of it which was steaming as well)
I've owned a MG ZR so know full well what to expect cost wise with head gaskets.

Had a test done to check the head gasket anyway and apparently it failed in seconds, the bloke told me his not seen something fail so quickly.

Possibly means a cracked cylinder head as well if that's the case, time for a part engine rebuild I guess.

The guy I brought it off of tied rag with cable ties around the oil in/out-let into the turbo, as well as not fitting a cam cover or air filter. Judders like crap from gear 1 which makes me think his either burnt out the clutch already, or hasn't aligned it properly into the gearbox?

Car needs some work, but I've never loved driving a car so much so quickly, gonna be worth while, then I can take it down the Dyno and get a proper readout as well as getting a proper exhaust fitted instead of that awful side port.