So, after a few months in here, its time to share my ride.

It is a 1998 Reflet 2-door with the 1N 1.5d. My wife bought it as an import from Japan in 2003 and owned it since then. After 10 years as her daily, family matters dictated 2 extra doors and some more boot space, so she moved on to our Astra H wagon. It is my semi daily, since most of the time I go round with my 2002 ER5, especially in rush hour traffic.

Since I took over, I embarked on its upgrade. Done so far

Interior:-

Power windows and mirrors from a Glanza

Glanza front seats, door cards, rear side panels, glovebox, kick panels and under-steering panel, door sills and trunk carpet.

Did not find boot plastics, so sanded off 10 years of scratches and repainted them dark gray.

Clock

Centre console.

Original parcel shelf.

Got the interior light functioning again; replaced holder and both door switches.

New spare tyre well plywood cover

Exterior

Replaced dented hood with a used scooped one

Clear front turn signals

Repaired and repainted ding-riddled drivers' side door.

Engine

Mistakingly bought a 5afe, thinking it was a 5efe. Will exchange it for a 4efe.

Still to be done:-

Interior

Ignition key light

Remote central locking

3rd brake light

Time delay for dome light

Footwell led's

(have all the above, just waiting to be fitted)

Glanza instrument cluster(on its way here)

Black leather oem steering wheel

Rear seat to match front ones and door card pattern

Factory double din head unit and carrozzeria onshelf speakers

Got original rubber mats(but using cheap ones to prevent original ones from wearing off)

Exterior:-

Repaint front bumper, together with front lip

HID headlight conversion

Roof spoiler

Carat tailamps(have already)

Repair and modding of rear bumper(to fit above tailights) and addition of rear lip OR replacement with a glanza bumper(not yet sure).

2nd gen Yaris 6-spoke wheels or Corolla e120 6-spoke wheels

Engine:-

As above, will exchange for a 4efe, then

Rebore as far as block allows,

Skiming, porting and polishing of cylinder head

Corolla inlet mainfold(if I find one)

Stainless 4-1 exhaust manifold

2.5in exhaust

Cone filter

Remapping ecu

Lightweight pulleys and flywheel

Open to all suggestions. This is going to be used in normal road conditions, so no hardcore parts. Just want to have some fun on the road.

Braking

Standard glanza stuff at front; possibly move reflet stock front setup to the back

Would like to share pics here, but could not find a way how to :(

Edited by cherrye10
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guide in the wiki section for photos mate.

Just a suggestion, but zisco might be able to whip you up some brackets for the 5A-FE, would be cool to see a different swap.

Nevertheless I like the direction your heading with this.

did some research on a-type engines into starlets and tercels. Need quite some modding to the chassis rail and move cambelt side engine mount forward. Possibly battery needs to be relocated to trunk to make way for tranny. Even then I doubt if exhaust manifold will clear radiator. So losing some €s and buying a 4efe is simpler and saves a lot of headaches. But will pop down to the guys, they're only a short drive away.

Sounds good mate, hope you can get some pics up,

depending on if my other starlet gets scrapped I may have a rolla mani for sale :)

if swap a 4efe I will let you know.

did some research on a-type engines into starlets and tercels. Need quite some modding to the chassis rail and move cambelt side engine mount forward. Possibly battery needs to be relocated to trunk to make way for tranny. Even then I doubt if exhaust manifold will clear radiator. So losing some €s and buying a 4efe is simpler and saves a lot of headaches. But will pop down to the guys, they're only a short drive away.

if swap a 4efe I will let you know.

okay buddy no worries :)

Is that a scooped bonnet in the shape of a normal NA bonnet? It fits perfectly with NA bumper? Never seen that but want so badly Oo

its an NA bonnet fitted with a glanza scoop. bought it like that and I can say whoever did it did a very good job at it

• 2 weeks later...