Red CD 5-door - my first car! (Pic heavy)

Cheers dude! Was thinking the usual red, but decided for gold like they have on STI Brembos to be a bit different! Can't go wrong with red calipers though, everyone knows they make your car faster! :p

Yeah, its tough to prioritise as stupid as that sounds. The way I looked at it was that good exam results mean a better job, which means more money for mods! :D Glad they're all over now though, love having all this free time!

To be honest, I kind of lost interest in the first few months of having it, since I didn't think I could make a 5-door look good or turn it into a decent Glanza rep (original plan). After taking all the stickers off and the Wolfraces, I realised I had a blank canvas then and decided to just keep it subtle, clean and make it sort of tough looking!

As a 5-door, it's actually pretty crap; I can't think of anybody who could get their legs in behind the seats, even when they're all the way forward. My guess is the 5-door was only really meant for small families (with a child seat, etc.), not really for putting fully sized people in there. Ah well, didn't buy it for practicality anyway!

Undecided on the T-Sport alloys. On the one hand, I think they'd be pretty good and quite different. On the other, I do like the look of standard Glanza or GT wheels. One thing is for sure though; either of those options is better than mismatched wheel trims! :p

Also, sorry for the late replies! Computer decided to shit itself, so have been out of reach for a while. Currently sorting out an apprenticeship, which (if I get it) means a steady income which means more stuff! :thumbsup:

thats what happened with my yaris, lost all interest and then went out and bought a starlet all pretty rashly :p don't regret it though!

good thing about starlets is it doesn't take much to make them look great!

its so hard to get a good mix of working to get money and having time to do the work hahaha.

Good luck man, hope it all works out and you keep up the good work with the ep!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update time, and its a fairly big one for a change!

After 8 solid months, I've finally got around to fixing the splitter.

Fixedsplitter_zpscd0d71fa.jpg

As you can no doubt tell, it really isn't that great, but it does look way better in person than in the photo; the seam between the gap is nowhere near as noticeable for a start.

But the big thing I'm excited about is these...

Prauzers1_zps5b6ecd6d.jpg

Prauzers2_zpsa021f015.jpg

...new wheels! Kosei Prauzers. No idea on the exact model of wheel, but I'm pretty pleased either way! Centre caps need a solid clean (one needs a good amount of superglue), but they're amazingly tidy for their age.

The more savvy people will have noticed that they are still 13" - the same as the standard steelies. They are also the exact same width and offset as the standard wheels. I know that seems arse backwards to get new wheels that have no difference in dimensions, but I have a few reasons for my purchase:

1. Black box. Putting bigger wheels on a car gears the whole thing up and the speedometer could be out by a fair bit - something which usually happens on cars that come with small wheel. Having a black box that reads off my actual road speed instead of the speedo means I could be putting my premiums up without me even realising, so having the exact same tyre dimensions stops that from happening.

2. Price. These were £50 with £30 delivery, whereas brand new tyres would cost £90 alone and that's not including labour.

3. Tyres. Other than being a bit dusty, these are virtually brand new, which was my main priority. One still has the remains of the label!

4. JDM. Yeah, shoot me for saying that, but after a bit of research, these are like the Halfords Ripspeed budget wheels of Japan, and that seems to fit my car's cheap and subtle theme perfectly. Usually fitted to stuff like Toyota Estimas and Kei cars, these ones came from a Nissan Figaro. And they suit the car way better than those curbed, over-sized Wolfraces I had months back.

Another bonus is that my insurance is happy with it - £30 extra on my premium, but since I get monthly discounts anyway (because I'm such a pro driver :D ), it basically pays for itself. I was honestly expecting them to just go 'lol no' and put the phone down. Instead, I explained my situation, reasons, went through the tyre sizes etc. before they said they'd still cover me. I think actually phoning to declare a modification got me in their good graces, since most lads my age don't even bother.

Also got a few other tidbits. Got an original KP61 Starlet brochure from 1980, which makes for quite a good read, and I got a hammer/seat belt cutter similar to a Rescueman from Gainzy for cheap; he even threw in a cool TRD patch, cheers pal! :thumbsup:

Brochure_zpsdbc0fce7.jpg

Also ordered a replica (read: fake) TRD oil cap from Hong Kong, which I'm still waiting for. I'll post pics when it arrives!

Edited by INEEDNAWZZZ
  • 2 weeks later...

Few new bits to update! :)

The old headunit that was in the car has been a bit temperamental lately; cutting out going over speed bumps, skipping CDs, never picking up radio signals and so on. Plus, my little iPod radio adapter has been giving up the ghost too, so I decided to invest in a good quality headunit. It's a Pioneer DEH-X3600Ui. Pretty basic in terms of features, but it allows for iPod connectivity, has a USB input, and interchangeable colours, which is all I really wanted. Never done a headunit install, but luckily with it being a Jap-made system in a Japanese car, the wiring was more or less just plug and play!

PioneerDEH-X3600Ui_zps3512168e.jpg

Plus, my (fake) optional TRD oil cap is here from Hong Kong! Quite surprised at the quality, especially for a fiver; even the box looks legit.

TRDoilcap1_zps0da9f5a1.jpg

And here it is fitted. Yes, the engine bay needs a solid clean, but that's for another day. :p

TRDoilcap2_zps2f775ed5.jpg

More updates hopefully soon!

• 5 months later...

6 months without an update, jeez.

And sadly, this isn't a very good one. Got punted up the rear by a Vauxhall Mokka. He got off with two small dents and some paint scuffs. My Starlet meanwhile...

Crash1_zps6bdae2dd.jpg

Crash2_zpsf72c14e2.jpg

Crash3_zpsd8ce62c5.jpg

Crash4_zps6fce8790.jpg

I'd say its a complete write-off; a lot of that damage goes the entire way up the rear panel and up to the where the roof starts. Even if it was salvageable, the cost of it simply wouldn't be worth it. Tire was scrubbing like crazy when I limped it home, and that was after I ripped out the inner guard and tore apart half of the bumper, otherwise it wouldn't even move. I've already taken out my headunit, strut brace, clear corners, oil cap etc. out so pretty much anything of any value has been saved I guess. Managed to get my parcel shelf free as well, since shelves with factory speakers are quite hard to come by IIRC. Insurers are gonna send out their team to assess how much I'd get for it soon.

Want to get another Starlet, preferably an SR but they're getting rarer. I could probably get a ropey GT or a Glanza on my budget but I sure as hell don't have the money to keep it going if when it goes wrong, or insurance for that matter. Other choices at the moment are a Yaris T Sport (ideal choice right now), an Ignis Sport (if I can get insured on it) and a Daihatsu YRV Turbo (if I can find one and get it insured).

Any other suggestions for a decent, sporty small Jap car are welcome. Cheers for reading! :thumbsup:

I can vouch for the yaris! For me a starlet is better but I loved my yaris for three years and it was only a 1.0L. Really wrestled with myself to sell that little beast, never put a foot wrong and yaris can be made to look amazing. Especially t sports!

Ps so sorry to hear about this dude! Another starlet gone :'(. Other road users are twats!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update; car is officially written off. I get the choice of it getting it crushed or having it dropped back at mine and dealt with privately. Might go for the second option so I can rob a few little bits of it to keep for future use (blanking plate, battery, etc.). From here on out, I am now saving up for a tidy GT or Glanza and the insurance to go with it. To do that, I need a cheap car, and what I bought as a replacement is this:

Sticker_zps8857c7dc.jpg

I may make a thread for it in the Other Motors section, even though I probably won't be doing much to it. Rest assured, the Starlet bug hasn't gone and I will be back in one at some point, only it'll be making choo choo noises. And it'll be a three door. :p

Thanks to everyone who suggested stuff for my car, even though I'm probably one of the worst users on here since I did fuck all with it haha. I'll still lurk around and comment occasionally, which is what I did anyway. :thumbsup:

Edited by INEEDNAWZZZ