getting more power from non-turbo (4efe)Starlet

Firstly, a corolla inlet manifold would be a good buy. when used with a performance filter you will see good gains.

also strip the bitch out! best mod i ever done to the n/a i had.

i never really experimented with exhausts so i cant really say much on that subject.

lightened pullys would be an option too.

here is a picture for a 4efe intake manifold

its easy to fit you use your own throttle body. so its a case of four bolts to remove your throttle body, a few breathers to diconect and the 5 bolts that hold in on to the block.

000_0099.jpg

000_0096.jpg

what these guys said ;) ^^^

As for the exhaust side I would get a de-cat section made up to iron out the flat spots in the mid range of 1st and 2nd gear mainly

But I full exhaust system wouldnt hurt ;)

also run it on some good fuel (take the battery off for 30 mins to let the ecu reset and compensate for the better fuel) also if you feel confident you could advance the timing ever-so-slightly to help you further up the rev range, i did this to great effect with my old n/a (just ask the new owner oli)

worked well on fishy's sr too.

also run it on some good fuel (take the battery off for 30 mins to let the ecu reset and compensate for the better fuel) also if you feel confident you could advance the timing ever-so-slightly to help you further up the rev range, i did this to great effect with my old n/a (just ask the new owner oli)

worked well on fishy's sr too.

what is this??

all you do is slacken off the two bolts that hold the distributor (not the distributor cap) to the head while the car is idling and rotate the whole thing a few degrees either way. one way should increase the revs slightly the other way should decrease the revs. you want to increase the revs, this advances the timing, dont go mad tho, 1-2 degrees of advance is enough other wise the engine will start pinking.

hence why you need good fuel.

Advancing the ignition timing is an inexpensive mod that can make a noticable difference in throttle response and through the entire powerband with the largest gains in the midrange. fual economey is also improved if your habits remaint he same with aditional power.

Ignition timing relates to when the spark plug fires in relation to where the piston is at that poit in the cycle.

Timing advance helps produce more power by igniting the sparks sooner, providing more time for the fuel/air mixture to burn completely, increasing cylinder pressure, thus providing more power if the fual is of a higher octain.

Is there any disadvantage/s to advancing timing? ;)

Joz

yea there is, too much advance will cause detonation or pinking as the spark will be missing its cycle causing the car to run lean.

detonation as we all know is bad for the engine.

Hmmm, I've never heard of this timing mod. I might give it a bash to get a bit more beef!!!!

Anyway like people have said the corolla mani is a good option as is a better induction kit but the closed ones are the best apparently. Also use better oil, Spark plugs, Ignition leads and as said, Fuel as well.

Another thing you could do is put some engine cleaner in the air inlet. I did this using a mist spray gun and it massivly improved my petrol consumption, perfomance and emissions.

As for the exhaust. I used to have a completely free flowing system with no middle box and a sports backbox but i added the middle box back in and it inmproved the performance a little.

Also as Kierz has said stripping the car out works really well. I have done it and i'll never go back.

Hope this helps.

i kept quiet about advancing the timing because it made such a difference on my old n/a, i wanted to keep it to myself!

i finally let the cat out the bag to fishy and adjusted his to which he was well happy, altho his was pinking a little so it needed backing off a tad.

it is important to have a good ear for pinking when doing this tho, you only need a few degrees to make a good difference. the other important thing is to run good quality fuel i found my old n/a ate thru spark plugs quite quickly too however.

its worth it if you can get it right however. ( i never told geo i had advanced my timing a little on the day of the banzai thrash which made a bit of difference to the times! he he he!)

the advanced timing worked a treat on my bros car....like rich said be careful for det. as there was a little as soon as we set off, but it was soon sorted :D, dont go crazy, and run good fuel....

Rob

yea as your man above says in addition little bits that can help are dropping a 5efe engine in to the car, 5efhe cams also help, an apexi air filter is good but easiest, cheapest way is to lose weight (from the car)

in a naturally aspirated car there's only so much you can do...no idea how many times I've posted this but whatever, these are typical options:

- 5efhe Transplant (or just take the connecting rods, block, pistons, camshafts)

- Good Ignition System (Uprated Spark Plugs, Spark Plug wires, Coil)

- Proper Lubrication (Correct Oil, freer flowing Oil Filter)

- Uprated Radiator (plus coolant additives like Redline Water Wetter)

- Corolla Tubular/5efhe ACIS Manifold (port & polish it, extrude hone, ceramic coat...)

- Phenolic Intake Manifold Insulator Gasket

- 7/4AFE Throttlebody (port & polish it as well...)

- Heat-reflective Tape wrapped intake piping and freer flowing airfilter shielded from heat

- Tuned Tubular Exhaust Manifold (Ceramic Coated)

- Freer Flowing Tuned Diameter Exhaust System

- Decat/Freer Flowing Catalytic Converter

- 5efhe/Custom Camshafts

- Thinner Metal Headgaskets

- Lightened Ancillary/Crankshaft Pulleys

- Lightweight Flywheel

- Headwork (port & polish, extrude honing, x angle valve jobs...)

- Lightened & Uprated Valve train (lighter valves, spring retainers, stronger springs)

- Lightened Internals (Pistons, Connecting Rods, Crankshaft)

- Cylinder Boring (0.5 - 1.0mm overbore)

- Internal Friction Reduction (friction coatings & processes on internal components)

- Piggyback (eManage) or Standalone (Motec) ECU

- Individual Throttle Bodies

Thinner head gasket to increase compression ratio? Swift gti 1.3s are 101bhp due to the fact that they are 11:1 cr compared to 4e-fe being 9.6:1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) :)

yea this is a way of gaining free power, by increasing the compression your making a bigger bang with the same amount of air and fual, is a worthy mod also.

ricko covered everything else in regards to custom engine work, which very rarely is worth it for reliability issues.

• 8 years later...

Thinner head gasket to increase compression ratio? Swift gti 1.3s are 101bhp due to the fact that they are 11:1 cr compared to 4e-fe being 9.6:1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) smile.png

Which thin head gasket should i use in my 4efe natral for power.[ size\convertion] please? I live in Jamaica west indies