td04 starlet or one of these

hey dudes whats u all think about the classic STI type r's? one like this one here.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/wrx-sti-type-r-rb5-grey-version-5/1261409?isexperiment=true

im either gna go for one of these or another starlet what do you reckon. obviously i know the scooby will be more expensive to run, but i don't do many miles and its 4wd and fast as standard so doesn't need messing with. is there any common issues that anyone knows of? i hear the P1 gearboxes are chocolate as standard but apparently these jap import STI's have good boxes? its 300bhp so i wouldn't be messing with it anyways.

hey dudes whats u all think about the classic STI type r's? one like this one here.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/wrx-sti-type-r-rb5-grey-version-5/1261409?isexperiment=true

im either gna go for one of these or another starlet what do you reckon. obviously i know the scooby will be more expensive to run, but i don't do many miles and its 4wd and fast as standard so doesn't need messing with. is there any common issues that anyone knows of? i hear the P1 gearboxes are chocolate as standard but apparently these jap import STI's have good boxes? its 300bhp so i wouldn't be messing with it anyways.

That one did look very nice when I went down there on Saturday! Hurst Cars has a very good rep in the Subaru circles. Im picking up the type RA off him next week, tbh when I took it out for a test drive it felt quicker than my Evo 6 did.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Type R mate and it has DCCD so can have some serious fun in the bends 8)

Don't get me wrong I love my td04'd starlet however a impreza of that spec in that condition and that colour I would probably take over a starlet. Would be a better all rounder with a lot more potential.

Agreed.

Especially on the colour of that impreza!

But heck I'm a Ep man so it wouldn't feel right lol

Phil

haha cool lads, all i'm thinking is i will be honest i had a td04 glanza before and while it was a lot of fun it did my head in when it constantly lit the tyres up lol and obviously it had a lot done to it, i feel with something like that scoob i will get something thats more reliable in the longer run, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. plus it will be brill to drive and lets be honest on par with a high spec starlet anyways

haha cool lads, all i'm thinking is i will be honest i had a td04 glanza before and while it was a lot of fun it did my head in when it constantly lit the tyres up lol and obviously it had a lot done to it, i feel with something like that scoob i will get something thats more reliable in the longer run, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. plus it will be brill to drive and lets be honest on par with a high spec starlet anyways

My friend had a Scooby exact same spec as that running the same power, was great fun, but not reliable if that is what your looking for then I wouldn't buy one of these. Engine blew then gearbox along with the diff, then the valves in the new engine went and he then sold it on. this was all within 4 months. Obviously this wont happen with every single scoob on the road but from seeing it I wouldn't get one personally.

An EP man with a Beemer as a daily...

Haha yes admittedly I wouldn't drive one daily if it came with free petrol lol

But yeah as a weekend toy/garage play thing Id want an ep(82) over other options.

Phil

Scoobs are very reliable and most of the gearboxes are a dream to use. A lot of the 08 onwards (I think) engines with the 2.5 litre had massive problems with blowing up etc etc, but the older classic ones didn't seem to have many problems as standard as long as they're looked after.

But...

I would not tune a scooby boxer engine unless it was a serious overhaul or very well set up with the correct modifications (speak to any scooby tuner or engine builder etc)... If you want power and a little tinkering then an evo is the way to go, imprezas DO NOT like being messed about with especially things like turning up the boost. But even as a daily they are amazing fun and the best sounding car ever IMO. My old man had a silver 1992 WRX jap import for 10 years and never had many problems at all (had a kakimoto exhaust on and gold speed line wheels). Very reliable cars in my opinion and always been voted a good manufacturing company by many people including top gear over the years.

Tom.

Scoobs are very reliable and most of the gearboxes are a dream to use. A lot of the 08 onwards (I think) engines with the 2.5 litre had massive problems with blowing up etc etc, but the older classic ones didn't seem to have many problems as standard as long as they're looked after.

But...

I would not tune a scooby boxer engine unless it was a serious overhaul or very well set up with the correct modifications (speak to any scooby tuner or engine builder etc)... If you want power and a little tinkering then an evo is the way to go, imprezas DO NOT like being messed about with especially things like turning up the boost. But even as a daily they are amazing fun and the best sounding car ever IMO. My old man had a silver 1992 WRX jap import for 10 years and never had many problems at all (had a kakimoto exhaust on and gold speed line wheels). Very reliable cars in my opinion and always been voted a good manufacturing company by many people including top gear over the years.

Also this is the red top engine which is rated to be stronger and more reliable.. And it's an RB5!!! Made to celebrate the win of Richard Burns in the WRC. :D

Tom.