Forged engine advice

I've been offered a Glanza in exchange for my classic Impreza, The Glanza has a forged engine built by an individual and not a company. After a few thousand miles, it somehow ran low on oil and now needs bottom end bearings and crank replaced. I spoke to the previous owner of the engine and he ran it on a TD05 below fuel cut for just under 2k and then broke the car. I'm told It has since been ran on a CT9 at 0.9 bar with no smoke.

Am I mad to consider swapping? do you reckon there is a more serious flaw with the engine that would reappear a few thousand miles after the bottom end is repaired?

Engine spec as follows: -

74.5mm Ross pistons
Scat conrods
1.2mm head gasket
Arp headbolts
Acl race bearings
New oil pump
Ect...
And new acl 6 puk clutch

I'm considering it as I'm unlikely to put the scooby back on the road due to running costs. Plus it needs the sills welded and a few other things for MOT. Engine is sweet as a nut though!

Your wisdom would be welcomed - ta

There is a set of ACL bearings and a polished crank provided so just needs rebuilt. The engine is stripped so that makes me wonder we he doesn't just fix it.

I've not seen the car in person yet. Came over from Northern Ireland. Low mileage on the shell and a few descent parts. I'm sure I'd manage the rebuild but would need confidence that the engine would last.

Without a physical leak and no smoke, I have no idea where the oil went! As tempting as it sounds I may give it a miss.

Engine was built by a friend of LeeG but after breaking his car he sold it about a year ago.

This is the car back in 2008. Has no Toms kit now though. http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?11393-****TOM-S-GLANZA-V-FOR-SALE****-%A34900ono

If its ran low on oil I would be very careful, if its overheated the crank there may well be a chance the big ends of the rods are out of ovality tolerence, so could end up being a complete rebuild really.

i would play it safe myself mate, what assurances do you have that his word is actually what has happened with the motor, unless you know the guy really well and can go back to him if the worst happened i wouldnt bother mate, the fact it ran low on oil in the first place without any leaks shows lack of care for the engine in my eyes.

Tell him your only interested on the basis the engines not priced as its potential dead weight if you like the vehicle itself so get him to add some cash to make it worth your while and rebuild it and inspect part for part if you do meet a deal

Tell him your only interested on the basis the engines not priced as its potential dead weight if you like the vehicle itself so get him to add some cash to make it worth your while and rebuild it and inspect part for part if you do meet a deal

x2

I have the option of spending £300 to repair the scooby and sell it with an MOT. It's never going to be worth as much as a forged Glanza. I'll have a think about it and perhaps have a look at the car. May be other tell tale signs that it's been abused. Thanks for your input.

I have the option of spending £300 to repair the scooby and sell it with an MOT. It's never going to be worth as much as a forged Glanza. I'll have a think about it and perhaps have a look at the car. May be other tell tale signs that it's been abused. Thanks for your input.

That's true personally id be fixing and selling the scoob. Especially with no details on the 4e engine.

After all you could up buying a glanza that ends up needing broke to get your cash out.

Phil