Power steering pump removal.

Hi all,

I have been think about removing my power steering power. There is a chance that I may be racing the gt next year.

A few question

Has any one had any problems with it if is there daily? ( I only have a 10 inch steering wheel)

What is the best way to remove the pump?

Many thanks

Flint

not unless you are doing it properly.

im planning on putting an electric pump on mine when i can/get around to it. some people love it though. if you get the right fittings and get a length of pipe made you could loop the rack over and see, if you like it take the rest off if you dont reconnect it and put new fluid in.

Just fucking grow a pair and take it off lol. It's not like you're going to be pulling a tanks weight around on the steering wheel, yes it's a little bit heavy but it's saves a hell of a lot of weight and it's not needed what so ever.

Literally as soon as you're rolling, the steering nearly the same as with power steering. I was steer with one hand fine round corners.

The stress it will save from the engine is also noticeable, as obviously the engine isn't working as hard.

Bun a non PAS rack too, just take it all off and chuck a loop on there. Simple.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Any more info on this I'm looking to remove mine.

From experience I would say only do this if you're going to use a non P/S rack Lew. I looped the pipes on my old Glanza and it was horrible to drive.

as rbz says.

removed mine on ever starlet I have had as its just not what I want on the car.

weight, drag on engine, steering feedback, and worst of all its fuck ugly and u cant get to anything properly in engine bay.

car is perfectly manageable without it .these are light cars !!!!

I've been making due with out mine for about 4 years and have never really liked it.

I'm soon going to be experimenting with a MR-S electric/hydraulic pump as a replacement for the pulley driven one.

With any luck I can get the speed variable aspect working as well :)

Was driving a mk2 golf the other day without pas and it felt so much better. I can't wait to find a non pas rack and get rid. Question is though, do you need to change the column as well?