I know this has been covered a few times and after I've had a read of other posts it's still not clear to me how I can get around the emissions test, I've changed my engine and turbo since the last mot it's a sard k24 turbo with decat pipe external wastegate! I've read I can have a pre-cat emissions test because it's imported and was never made for the UK market the only one that I know of that was maid for the UK is the starlet gt mk1 witch is pre-cat I just want to know where I stand and is there any tricks or tips for passing emissions? I've still got the old turbo set up but don't want to have to change it over!

if its pre 93 then no emission test is required anything after 1993 will be tested for emissions .

Your best bet is to find a friendly mot tester. I know some charge a little extra to pass failed tests but this is illegal.

Edited by H_D

i handed the above to my mot tester and he told me it was out of date and produced some counter document that meant my 95 n reg needed a cat test :(. passed with just the precat tho, trolled off without giving him any moolah for cats to be welded in :L

Yeah sorry i just got it off the internet and its well outta date. The new MOT books are in work somewhere, i'll try find them and see. I was doing some training to take my MOT test but i dont wanna do it at my current work lol. Will get hit with 6 MOTs in a row daily forever haha.

Yeah sorry i just got it off the internet and its well outta date. The new MOT books are in work somewhere, i'll try find them and see. I was doing some training to take my MOT test but i dont wanna do it at my current work lol. Will get hit with 6 MOTs in a row daily forever haha.

lol no probs, if you could find anything I could use that would be a help :-)

My mate mot's mine. However he says. If the customer claims the engine is from an older model before cats wer needed then he doesnt hav to check and thers no need for emissions test. Upto u if u want to tell fibs. Not 100% bout it tho ???

I have taken pics of the current run down sheets, its the same outcome really.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers dude ;-) hasn't really changed from the old one, I'm going to have to take a chance with it and hope mot guy can be persuaded to let it pass! It tomorrow so I'll let you know!

Take a look at what I posted up, that's in date.

I missed that link somehow! after having a read im going to put my standard ecu back on I know its not going to make a massive difference but every little helps! I can try and argue about the engine change but ive got no proof of age for the new engine its a bit of a hit or miss.

The readings needed are going to be near impossible to get without a CAT. What you should defo do is make sure the ignition timing and the fueling are absolutely bang on. And that there are no leaks in the exhaust system.

Even at that my old GT gave pretty high readings, it was a '94 so i was allowed up to 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC, as opposed to 0.3% CO and 200ppm that a mid '95 car onwards has to meet :/

Does anyone know the vehicle specific readings for a 4EFE engine ?

• 1 month later...