Has anyone upgraded their Meister-R coil springs?

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you want to run stiffer springs?

Not sure if I'm going about it the right way, but the Meisters seemed a tad soft on track even at full stiffness on the dampers. Was thinking stiffer springs would help reduce the pitch and roll in corners?

BC's run 6kg front and 4kg rear I believe.

I wouldn't want any harder on the rear as there's not much weight over the back.

Hmm Meisters are 5kg/4kg so to match BC's might be an idea, word is they're more suited to track! How are they road-driving wise?

Have you got thicker Arb's?

I'd do them as it would mean you can warrant a softer spring.

And I love my BC's no issue on road or track. I've never run mine at full stiffness other than when a mate pissed about with them at Jae, then I hated it as I had a hangover lol

You can get the RA series of BC's in either 5/4kg or 10/8kg from the factory. Id stiffen it up..go have a look what jam/cruise/zep ran lol..

Yeah they had crazy spring rates!

Ive been in a Glanza with BC and I run miesters...BC's are a lot stiffer...If its a track toy id say be better with B's my car is a street car/occasional track day... So Miesters suit me fine...

Same as me Matt, but I really wanted it to be flatter through bends on track! Might have to get 6kg fronts, but I wanna see if anyone else has tried them first!

Not sure if I'm going about it the right way, but the Meisters seemed a tad soft on track even at full stiffness on the dampers. Was thinking stiffer springs would help reduce the pitch and roll in corners?

That's wrong mate, I see this all the time as a miss-conception. You actually want a softer suspension setup to lap faster. The problem your having is with roll not with bump or droop therefore you want to adjust your anti roll bar.

I'm currently designing a suspension and chassis setup for a hillclimb car and my spring rate is only 2.1 kg/mm and my anti roll bar has a stiffness of 12 kg/mm, thats with only a 10mm diameter bar.

Edited by AdamB

Oh I see! I wasn't sure whether it was the springs that would need attention or not. ARB wise I have the biggest one at the front possible (off the shelf, anyway).

I'm hoping adding polybushes/ALK to the wishbones and a 4pt lower brace will eliminate the roll :)

You'll never completely eliminate roll, the starlet chassis itself isn't very torsionally ridgid so no matter how much you throw at suspension you will still get a lot of twisting in the chassis.

What's your ride height like? Lowering the mass of the car will help :)

Ah I see. Well it's not really bad, just I could see that it could do with improving, you know?

Ride height is low up front (lower than I'd like really as it was catching arches under hard braking at Donington) and the rear is a little higher than I want it to be. But I'll be sorting that soon, front is going up 2 turns and rear down about 2 to get it level.

I think you would really benefit from getting it corner weighted mate, its fairly expensive but you'll notice a difference and you can take any further upgrades from there and use that as a base point knowing that you have good weight distribution.