What's people's opinion on this??

Right I brought a gt off a member on here. Sent the mrs up to collect it and after less than an hours driving the oil light flickered on and it stopped dead. The recovery driver told her it had a bad knock form the bottom end.

Anyway the guy I brought it off came to have a look at the car out oil in it and the knock had gone. All that needed replacing was the rocker gasket. Whig he came back and replaced

So what I want to know is who thinks the car is gonna last and make the 2 hour drive home?? I don't get back from Australia till the 20th and will be going to collect it that day.

Place your bets below

I would personally if you can get it home drain the oil check for metal bits in the oil or take the sump off and check for metal bits in the bottom of the sump, not good if this is the case bearings are fooked I know this hence why mine is going through a full engine rebuild as we speak or course turned out my oil pump was shot, on the bad side it's abit of money to spend on the plus side I will have a full engine rebuild by the end of it as I have brought everything 😁

Was the oil level checked before driving ? Was any inspection carried out before buying ?

People will always try and sell dodgey cars, its just one of those things that happen. But its down to the buyer to give it a proper once over before handing over cash.

I know you said youre away atm and the missus picked it up, but the RAC and what not offer inspections.

:thumbsup:

It was a school boy error on my behalf buying a car without looking at it first. I thought the guy was a genuine seller but turns out not. The car had apparently just ha a new rocker gasket and oil change.

I will change the oil and filter before I drive home and hope for the best

I would personally never buy a car of this age without seeing it in the flesh and with sold as seen there is not a lot(within the law) you can do.

If you can't get a full refund he could at least knock off enough for a new engine if it does turn out to be fucked!

Hopefully this is not the case and it's an easy fix for you man.

I would personally never buy a car of this age without seeing it in the flesh and with sold as seen there is not a lot(within the law) you can do.

If you can't get a full refund he could at least knock off enough for a new engine if it does turn out to be fucked!

Hopefully this is not the case and it's an easy fix for you man.

I believe now sold as seen actually accounts for fuck all, I was under the impression you had to sell it as spares or repairs to cover your arse in that way

if it is fucked id be asking for £300 back to go towards a replacement engine. but make sure you tell him now before he goes spending

if i had genuinely sold a car that wasnt knocking and it happened to go on the way home id give some money back to whoever bought it to pay for a new engine. they go for around £300 so thats the least id do.

if hes a genuine guy then id ask for it

ryan

I agree Ryan. All he was willing to do is pay for the recovery truck and replaced the rocker cover gasket. I will just have to see how long it lasts. I would me more than happy with a new engine but as far as he is concerned the engine hasn't been damaged even though it had been knocking.

I feel your pain buddy i bought mine with an engine with low compression on cylinder 4 not knowing...3-4 months later engine went bang. TBH it was the best thing that happened lol ended up fully forging etc. so i wouldn't worry too much dude you may even come out of this with a stronger engine, 2250 for the car...1000 spent on the engine 3250 in total isn't too bad she should be faultless after that providing the bodies good :D