5 Axis mold machinist what to make

Hi all I've been a composite 5 axis machinist for a long time now and my boss has decided to stop production to make some cool parts on the machine to show our tooling and capabilities.has anyone made or got any complex parts that would be cool to make.

I'll be machining an aluminium model car of some sort starting the beginning of this week so hopefully upon completion will have some good stuff to show

I machine aluminium molds for injection and blow and alot of tooling block.for Composite parts I machinemolds for Aston Martin and Ferrari etc bumpers hoods fenders.

7 metre 5 axis router

tb converter plates !!!!

Sounds good and easy what sort of shape would it be

Injection and blow moulding I believe.

But if it's demo stuff for machining purposes it will just be cnc machined parts on mills/lathes. I assume as injection tools cost loads to plan design and produce.

Beat me to it lol.

And your machine is huge compared to our lil cnc's at my work!

Edited by morgey

Damn you! I need to get in with a company like yours. Got so much I need to learn to get upto your level!

Last I heard I would be getting some cnc training so I can convert component drawings to various insert parts and electrodes but that's all very slow in a small place like mine!

Should make some Turbo trumpets or something.

More of a lathe project, put turning down a bullet with a threaded brass head on it and maybe a brass round insert in the bottom would be cool.

Being a milling machine you can obviously do things much more impressive.

I gather your on about making these kinda things rather than moulds as kinda show pieces, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick.

I set injections moulds (put em in and set machine, election and cores etc) for a living and have done blow moulds. All the injection tools are steel though, VERY heavy lol.

Edited by TurboTobz

Damn you! I need to get in with a company like yours. Got so much I need to learn to get upto your level!

Last I heard I would be getting some cnc training so I can convert component drawings to various insert parts and electrodes but that's all very slow in a small place like mine!

Should make some Turbo trumpets or something.

I made a mold of a td04 housing and a carbon tool but was just for fun it's now sat in my garage.

My boss just Brough me 7k worth of tools and wants to see a finish on a mold tool and part finish.

I recently made some cool fenders which were very easy to make but cost about £1100 in tooling block

• 2 weeks later...