ball bearing turbos running water lines?

Oil is primary cooling

Water is secondary. If you get it hot enough to need the 2ndry cooling. Then I'd rather cool a td04 worth £50 than a headgasket too

On more expensive turbos, id probably run them

I would have it the other way round, water is a better conductor of heat than oil. Oil's primary job is to lubricate, it being able to do cooling as well is a secondary task.

I would always run water cooling whenever possible.

Anyone going to answer my last question?

VFs have plastic ball bearing catridges. so id probably run water lines on one of those

although equally there seems a be a load of scooby guys who have done it for a while with no ill effects.

its whatever makes you most comfortable

Yeah if they weren't needed then turbo companies wouldn't put them there, a lot of non Performance turbos are only oil cooled. Most Performance stuff is water cooled as it's recommended to run the water lines. So I personally would run them.

As said previously oil is primary cooling (and lubrication) coolant is there if the turbo has a small bearing housing/core as the heat dissipation isn't great.

You could run without if you ran an oil cooler maybe. As I work for Holset (Cummins Turbos) I can tell you for free that we dont put water cooling in unless it is needed.

But most of our FG and WG stuff isn't water cooled.

never run water lines myself,i dont want the heat to transfer to my engine for obvious reasons

td04 turbos are peanuts compared to a overheated engine

pretty much why I've never run them.

As said previously oil is primary cooling (and lubrication) coolant is there if the turbo has a small bearing housing/core as the heat dissipation isn't great.

You could run without if you ran an oil cooler maybe. As I work for Holset (Cummins Turbos) I can tell you for free that we dont put water cooling in unless it is needed.

But most of our FG and WG stuff isn't water cooled.

Yeah Greddy are the same on alot of turbos, where oil cooling is adequate water isnt used.

that would add weight to the idea that when a turbo has them you should use them.

That said ive ran a td04 for yonks few years ago and no issues without waterlines.

epnick no idea about td04/vf24 waterlines.

Phil