New Starlet, first car, couldn't be happier :D

Considering I've only just got the car, haven't had a chance to drive it yet and don't even have a full license yet this may seem a little weird to some. I'm 22 years old, I got my actual "first car" at 15 just to learn mechanics on. A £100 Fiesta which (don't get me wrong) I did like but this was only because I was the only person I know around my age that had a car! Haha. DVLA decided that a residential car park was actually a public road, and this ended up getting taken off me because it was declared SORN. No surprise there. The next car I got at 17 while I was originally learning to drive, a Peugeot 106 1.1i. That needed some work doing but I still had to get my license so it was all good. Later on financial difficulties would stop me obtaining my license and force the sale of the 106, but no matter I never really felt much love towards it.

Over the next few years I would just ignore my passion for cars and my love of driving, only lapsing to go to an occasional cruise or to help a friend with modifications etc until a few months ago when I decided that not having my license was holding me back. Since then I have desperately tried to scrape together as much as I can to fund my venture, but to no avail until about a month ago my Dad told me that he would get me a car and help me pass my test for my 22nd birthday present!

Since then we have been searching for a decent car until we stumbled on to the Starlet by mistake, and I'm ashamed to say that (god knows how) when we first drove past it I thought it was a Micra! I only noticed otherwise when my dad jokingly pointed out a rust-bucket Rover 25 for just shy of £1200 that was parked next to what would become my lickle beast.

She was priced at £395, her paint work is faded, her springs are corroded, her tyres are barely legal, both her rear wheel bearings need replacing, she has no power steering, her interior is rather girly, and most uneducated folks would call her a "bag of faecal matter". However she is now (after just 5 days and 0 minutes of driving pleasure) my pride and joy, I have never felt this excited about a car, or been this happy with a decision I have made. She won't make it through her next MOT in 3 months time without my help, but she will now get all of the love, care and attention that she deserves... As soon as I get some money lol.

I'm sure most of you will find it funny that after just 5 days of owning a car and not even having a chance to drive it yet that I have created such a strong bond, I'm a little surprised myself. She may not be much yet, but watch this space she will be a head-turner in no time! :)

10322755_10202119354441106_2780672603613

Sorry for the large picture, it's all I've got I had to link it from FB and sorry for the essay of an introduction, I'm David by the way.

Nice to meet you all, and hope nobody gets too ticked off about me joining up so soon :p

Edited by don.binary

You always have to start somewhere I also started with N/A which I loved! I drove it for two years problem free im sure it won't be hard to sort out the problems and if you need parts this is the best place to ask!

Welcome along!

Thanks StarletSr, and yes I love her to bits :) I can do all the work she needs and then some it's just about finding the cash to buy the parts :p Dads going to lend me some cash hopefully next week then I can start sorting out the niggles :D Going to be great to get in and go, don't want to risk it right now as it's raining quite heavy on and off and tyres aren't very reassuring lol.

Welcome in man. As said above, we all have to start somewhere, and you can't go wrong with a starlet for one of your first cars.

Good luck with it...look forward to seeing some updates 8)

Thanks Djaniero, your definitely right there and for £400 with 98k on the clock and only a couple little wear-and-tear related faults I consider that a bargain :D it will be slow progress but she will get there :)

Welcome to Ukso mate!

My current N/a is a red one! faded, rust etc! Fell in and out of love with it! But defo going big this time!

Projects what you make of it! As far as i see you have a decent base! Yeah it needs work! But the more you work on it the more love you will have for it! :)

Thank you all for being so welcoming, you might be interested to know i drove her for the first time today. Been so long since i've drive I damn near wet myself lmao...

Dad was screwing at me for doing 70 on parkway where speed limit is 70... Trying to tell me that learners are only allowed to do 60 (which is complete bull, and in fact its quite the opposite learners have to do speed limit, mate got minors for doing 65!) so need a new passenger whos gonna shut the F up and not make me more nervous than I already was. Will find one eventually. Other than that absolutely LOVE the car, decided to call her Emiko ( 笑子 ) which written like it is there means "smiling child" because that's how I felt driving it.

Never driven a car without power steering, which for some reason threw me off and confused me when reversing out of the parking space but after I got going she was great best car I've ever driven by miles! Going to look at weather and consider buying paint tomorrow, she deserves a nice treat after that performance. Then hopefully buy all the parts she needs for MOT next week and jobs a goodun :)

Again thanks for making me feel so welcome, let's hope I can pass my test soon so I can start coming to meets and get a job to fund more extensive mods ;)