Hello :)

Life story incoming, if you fancy skipping to the bit with the Starlet I'll make it obvious where that starts, feel free to scroll.

I'm Josh, I'm 24 and I live in mid Cornwall.
264963_10152296778940024_1635181002_n_zp
I've packed in the fags since then :p

I was late getting into cars, I didn't learn to drive until I was 22, passing my test (first time) 3 weeks after my 23rd birthday. I fell in love with driving immediately.

My first car was a Peugeot 206 1.4, which was pretty good, until we had a tire explode from under us at 80mph on the M5. My other half was driving at the time, in the outside lane, and managed to get the speed right down before stacking it (on purpose) into the centre barrier. Had to replace the slave cylinder, rear light cluster and wing panel where the barrier had hit, but the brakes were never the same again.
WP_000141_zps84a5947c.jpg

This is what was left of the wheel afterwards. She remained roadworthy (just) for another 5 months, but as MOT was approaching we knew she was going to bomb, so we part ex'd her for a new Kia Picanto last year. T'other half's dad worked at the dealer at the time, so we got a good deal on it.

picanto_zps265779d0.jpg

The red one front and centre is ours. She's a nice little runner, can almost break 100 going downhill with a tailwind, and my fiance loves it. I thought I'd be driving that for a good long while until I could afford to run a toy/project as well, but then I decided to go back to college so I could get a job I enjoy (instead of the bitch admin work I do in a supermarket at the moment). I'm going to be studying engineering in a college that's 26 miles away from home 3 days a week, and I didn't want to put 150 miles/week on the newish car just in commuting. So I started trawling Auto Trader.

I almost got a V6 Golf 4Motion before I worked out how much I'd be spending on petrol. Then I was looking at an Audi A6, but the insurance was £700. Then I saw a Starlet, and thought it was quite nice looking. I did a bit of Googling and found a lot of reviews saying how good they were, and this forum. One test drive later and I was down £350 but up a car.

STARLET BIT STARTS HERE

My aim with this is to restore a car that's had a rougher life than she deserved , and learn a lot about car repair and modification at the same time. I'm eager but ignorant at the moment, so I'm probably full of idiot questions and stupid ideas, I won't take offence if you tell me that I'm being a twat with anything.

Here's the pictures from the Auto Trader listing.

ebay1_zpsf06aef20.jpg
ebay4_zps2fbe5064.jpg

ebay3_zpsd631208b.jpg

ebay2_zpsd6e281b5.jpg

And here's a couple that I took today after giving her a good clean. I'll update with more as I take them.

0183a33b990c2840a8a122e23bed815cd8276493

017ae9e5dc82a3488dac09f00fc10040795dbcc7

Todo list:

• Clutch -- Plates are quite worn, foot goes down, revs go up but not much power is transferred to the road.
  • P/S door lock -- Mechanism's fine, lock barrel has seized. Going to sort this at the same time as the next one.
  • P/s and D/s outside door handles -- Both got snapped at some point, got bids going on both sides on eBay at the moment.
  • Interior bits missing/broken -- Parcel shelf is AWOL, P/S boot trim where the shelf sits is broken, gear lever gaiter is torn just below knob, driver's seat has a small tear in a seam. I've emailed a local breakers yard for a quote on these from a couple of EP91s he's got.
  • Engine bay clean -- Look at the fecker, it's filthy.
  • Anti roll bar bushes worn -- MOT advisory, got a year to do this and I hear it's a minor job.
  • New wheels/tires -- Wanting some alloys, and 3 tires are showing signs of wear. Considering doing a sly swap with the Kia and seeing if the missus notices :p
  • Front speakers -- Rocking the stock ones up front at the moment. Head unit and rear speakers are all pretty good though, so this one's quite far down the list.
  • Interior light bulb -- Absolutely pathetic, swapping the bulb with SMD LED unit which is en route.
  • New clocks with tacho -- Also included in the email to the breakers. Figure these guides will help here.
  • D/s front indicator mount -- The bolt that goes into the wing panel seems to have fallen out at some point, so the light's a bit wiggly.
  • Square plates -- Because of course.
  • Handbrake -- Another MOT advisory, ratchet mech worn. Assuming I can just get a new one and replace?

What do you think? As I said, I'm new to all this but keen to learn :) I'm on a tight(ish) budget, see shitty job above.

I'm aiming to have the clutch done by September, and everything else as and when I have time. This guide for doing the clutch doesn't seem too bad, am I underestimating here? The guy I bought it off had a quote for £250 to have a garage replace it, which is more than I have laying around after buying, insuring and taxing a car. £50-£100 for a new clutch kit and a lost day off seems a lot more reasonable to me.

Edited by FrozenJakalope
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome along! looks like a nice base, interested to see where you'll take it!

may go without saying/you've already done it maybe but I would suggest a full service, really helped me get mine feeling a bit up on power. new spark plugs, oil change, oil and fuel filter and ran a fault code check. all easy to do and all helped a lot with making me feel like she was running better.

On the clutch, I personally wouldn't tackle it alone but i have shite mechanical skills and have only been learning for a couple of years (very very slowly). it's not hard to do generally so I guess it depends on your skill level but if it were me I'd get someone who's done it before to help, just incasey.
having said that, doing it yourself is probably the cheapest way and also the best way to learn.

keep updates coming man!

Cheers guys and girl :)

Definitely going to give her a good service on the far side of payday, spark plugs/filters etc. then on with trying to edge her towards 100hp. Though not for a little while, Kate wants me to sort out a ding I put in the Kia a few months back before I start sinking proper money into this shitpiece.

First step I'm aiming for is new inlet mani and exhaust. Beyond that, struts and coilovers to try and improve the handling some. After that, I'm open to suggestions :)

The clutch actually died when I tried to move it this morning, so she's down until next week when I can sort that.

Edited by FrozenJakalope

exhausts are easy enough to mess around with, none of mine would have fitted my old yaris or the starlet haha. All have been custom made from random bits and pieces sitting around and chopped/welded to fit!

Always a good sound from Blitz Nur spec, buddy of mine had a back box with custom centre section etc and it sounded class, on a yaris though.
I'm not too hot on glanza engines etc but i can't see why a glanza system wouldn't fit on an n/a. Don't take my word for it I don't know my way around FTE's at all, but I'm guessing the only thing that would be different, if even that, would be the manifold??
Not too sure buddy better asking someone who knows what they're talking about haha.

Mmm, might have to give that a go, welding is one thing I can do.

Small update to a few bits:

Transmission issue wasn't actually the clutch, it was the driveshaft shearing itself inside the CV boot. Trip to the scrappy's later and she lives again.

Handbrake is honestly fine, no idea what the tester was looking at but I can't see it.

New speakers are hopefully sorted, if so they'll be in by the end of the week.

Changing the priorities a little after spending the last couple of days reading around the techbase, seems like the effort you have to go to for a smallish power gain on an FE isn't really worth it, so I'm going to focus on improving the handling first and then changing the manis etc when I've got more disposable cash to throw at it. Alloys, struts, ARBs and coilovers are now top of the list.

Beth, good tip on taking the time to service it properly :) full fluid change, new filters and plugs and she purrs.

Next update will be a while coming but hopefully a lot more substantial.

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with servicing, look after a car and it'll look after you!

Handbrake is honestly fine, no idea what the tester was looking at but I can't see it.

New speakers are hopefully sorted, if so they'll be in by the end of the week.

Changing the priorities a little after spending the last couple of days reading around the techbase, seems like the effort you have to go to for a smallish power gain on an FE isn't really worth it, so I'm going to focus on improving the handling first and then changing the manis etc when I've got more disposable cash to throw at it. Alloys, struts, ARBs and coilovers are now top of the list.

Got a strutbar and a parcel shelf for sale if you want ;) about the same size so could send as one parcel!

Edited by Blue Icarian Wings

Got a strutbar and a parcel shelf for sale if you want ;) about the same size so could send as one parcel!

I did spot that when I was looking through the sales forum - if you've still got them after payday I'll probably be in touch. Finding myself constantly talking myself out of spending food money on car bits, is that normal?

I did spot that when I was looking through the sales forum - if you've still got them after payday I'll probably be in touch. Finding myself constantly talking myself out of spending food money on car bits, is that normal?

I have literally no money, like i mean none, and can't go out, never mind get food, unless my boyfriend graciously comes with and pays... and yet the other day I had a double din radio in the checkout before someone took my laptop away from me.

I wouldn't say its normal. :p

Well when we get new toys we do get distracted by all the extra shiny bits! :D

Not a lot of interest in my bits at the moment so they'll probably be there when you want them.

You probably know already but Yaris wheels will fit. The first time I needed tyres (and was young and clueless enough not to know better) I asked my local Toyota dealer what they had, somebody had ordered a Yaris with some upgrade pack, so I got a deal on 4 New Yaris alloys with 4 new Goodyear GT2 tyres on them. Not the flashiest rims but 10 years on, there still in good condition with no paint flake :thumbsup:

Don't we just?

I'll be in touch about the strut bar for sure , need me one of those.

I didn't know that, I'll keep an eye out for any going cheap. Any alloys would be better than capless steelies with mismatched tyres lol.

One day, this car will be freaking amazing. That day is a long way away :p

• 1 month later...

Textual update because I've got 15 minutes to kill before my lecture starts:

I got a cheap bolt on tacho from eBay and stuck it in the A-pillar, looks awesome, especially at night when it glows the brightest blue ever seen on earth. Someday I'm going to get pulled for it being too bright, but not yet.

The clutch finally went, pure wear on the plate. I've got a couple pictures of the plate that I took out that I'll stick up later, there's literally nothing there but bare metal. Nice Exedy one in there now, it's like night and day. Especially on the, er, private runway, added another 10mph to my top where the old clutch would've just been spinning itself into oblivion.

There were a lot of small issues with the engine, timing being slightly out etc so I'm sorting that when I do the belts early next week, since a bit of digging has shown that the belts haven't been touched in near 80,000 miles.

Bump strips are off, makes her a fair bit prettier.

And she's currently in Kwik Fit getting new rubber all round while Im at a half day lecture.

It's honestly been a mountain of smallish jobs just trying to get her back to square one so I can start improving from there, but I'm nearly there now.

• 3 months later...

Long time no update.

Things have started moving a bit now, got a Glanza inlet, TB and TPS on the way, so those should be on by the middle of February when I've got a week off work and uni to fit them. Current project is the complete overhaul of the interior. Took her for a pro valeting last week so the interior's almost showroom fresh again. Finally got around to ditching the godawful DIY stereo blanking plate the previous owner had left me with* and gone back to the OEM double din brackets, giving me enough room to get a cheap cupholder/free box combo in there. Love me some eBay specials :)

(* Bastard had used security Torx screws to fit it, £5 for a set of bits that I'll probably never use again)

Also been working through the interior light bulbs, accidentally bought the wrong size festoon SMD for the dome light so I'm going to repurpose the two I bought into footwell lights using a pair of universal festoon holders and a bit of bodged wiring. Changed the heater control bulbs, but there really aren't enough bulbs in there for the look I want so I've got a couple more holders coming, bit of drill and file action and I'll have those in. And today I did the T10s in the clocks, which was nice since 3 of the 4 have been dead since I bought the car. Amazing the difference it makes when you can actually see more than just your engine temp on the clocks at night.

So here's the current state of my interior:

015250cbef9f595330a22a110722d0632d6ae3ae

You can see how much dimmer the heater controls are. Got a red bulb coming for the hot/cold control as well, since the red window won't let the blue light through hardly at all.

0196402228c9723b6dffbb671a00d16de635eaf2

The tacho is literally the brightest thing I've ever seen. More candlepower than the sun.

01415bdec9c8259bd5719418546d3528961cfa7e

So happy with the way this looks.

Todo list as it currently stands.

• Change remaining light bulbs, going for a (nearly) complete blue look since my tacho and stereo are both blue, thought I'd go with it.
  • DIY some footwell lights, I plan to tag the wiring onto the back of the ciggy lighter and earth it next to the driver's door.
  • Fit Glanza inlet etc.
  • Considering amber corners. Opinions? Thinking it might look wank on a red starbo.

I'll get some daylight piccys up if the weather's not shite tomorrow, she's a lot cleaner on the outside now than she was in first post.

Edited by FrozenJakalope

Nice progress mate,

Looks a bit purple in photo but im sure it will be blue

I remember if you want the light to spread evenly try to get bulbs with a rounded finish.

Have you changed the main interior light bulb?? They are so dim, the one on the roof lining (replace with a led one)

Good luck

Nice progress mate,

Looks a bit purple in photo but im sure it will be blue

I remember if you want the light to spread evenly try to get bulbs with a rounded finish.

Have you changed the main interior light bulb?? They are so dim, the one on the roof lining (replace with a led one)

Good luck

Cheers buddy :)

That's my iPhone failing to white balance properly with the brightest of blues just out of frame on the right lol.

Wish I'd thought of checking the shape of the bulb before I bought them tbh, these aren't great but they shuld come good with a bit of work.

I went to change that one for a 16-LED SMD today but I'd bought 42mm, so that SMD plus another are going in the footwells as ambient lighting. I've got a beast of a replacement coming for it now, 42 LEDs on a sticky backed board with a festoon adaptor, so the whole diffusor dome will be internally lit. The OEM one really is shit, aye.

Edited by FrozenJakalope
  • 2 weeks later...

Went for a little trip up the M5 on Saturday to pick up some EP82 seats, honestly surprised at how well the Starbo took it. Somewhere in the region of 6 hours of 70-90mph driving and she didn't miss a beat or get too warm. Love my girl :)

Got the seats fitted yesterday, little bit of angle grinder action on the rails and they dropped in sweet.

image_zpsofww0rcg.jpg

So much better than the UK spec seats, which are going to the tip in about 20 minutes.