Biker Boyz - Preferbly the Mx and SM Owners

I'll be doing my CBT next month, then doing my mods, and would ideally like to do the advanced lessons also.

I'm just a bit unsure about what bike to get first. My initial plan was to get a DT125 or Aprilia mx 125.

But with doing my full license I'm wondering whether I should get a bigger bike...something along the lines of a Husaberg fe400 of 650?? (650 maybe a lil too wild for my first bike lol ??).

I don't really know much about the Bergs, but from a quick google search they seem to be quite high maintenance machines? The bike will solely be a weekend warrior, not a commuter, and will only be coming out in the dry.....A road blasts etc.

I think a 125 would suffice initially, but the last thing I want is to learn on one, then have to sell it a few months down the line after my test to get a bigger bike.

What dyou think?

I got a 2008 Honda CRF250R with SM wheels.

Its the best of both worlds for mucking about. Reliablity of a 4 stroke, but still performs ok and is enough to have some fun.

What exacttly will you be using it for?

If you are set on a SM/MX style bike, i would say a 250 minimum. Maybe looking at a KTM Duke or something like that if its for the road/messing around.

If your actually going to be going offroad, then maybe look into a 2 stroke.

C68493F3-F783-45A9-9596-05BAED53A3BE_zps

My bike on the right

I have had these motorbikes.

aprilia rx50 (brand spanking new 03 plate at the time, passed cbt 2 days before)

f reg cbr600f (dad gave it to me after passing full license)

xr250 supermoto (import xr250 I bought as a scrambler and converted)

xr400 supermoto (again bought as scrambler and converted)

xr600 supermoto (again converted)

husaberg 501 (savage 55bhp beast weighed 95 kgs but hugely unreliable)

and lastly I had a drz400 supermoto.

as u can guess I love the supermotos and after having one I find superbikes very boring.

supermotos are such a laugh to ride, wheelie lots and corner superbly.not to mention that they bin well (if you stack it they barely get damaged, compared to a superbike if you dropped it even stationary would cost hundred's)

out of all those the drz400 was the best one as it was so bullet proof and reliable.

I would have one again anyday.

About £1600. Thought that wasnt bad

Was that Road legal? How the hell did you manage to get it that cheap ?

I have had these motorbikes.

aprilia rx50 (brand spanking new 03 plate at the time, passed cbt 2 days before)

f reg cbr600f (dad gave it to me after passing full license)

xr250 supermoto (import xr250 I bought as a scrambler and converted)

xr400 supermoto (again bought as scrambler and converted)

xr600 supermoto (again converted)

husaberg 501 (savage 55bhp beast weighed 95 kgs but hugely unreliable)

and lastly I had a drz400 supermoto.

as u can guess I love the supermotos and after having one I find superbikes very boring.

supermotos are such a laugh to ride, wheelie lots and corner superbly.not to mention that they bin well (if you stack it they barely get damaged, compared to a superbike if you dropped it even stationary would cost hundred's)

out of all those the drz400 was the best one as it was so bullet proof and reliable.

I would have one again anyday.

Man, you seem like theeee bike guy lol. What year was the Berg, and why wasn't it reliable?

What SM would you recommend to start off on? I have a budget of around £1600. Love the drzs but don't think I would a nice one within my budget.

I know what you mean about SM's.....always appealed to me more over a super sports.

lol I took one round a track last month couldn't hold on after two laps crazy power

lol thats insane.....arm pump? What were they initially built for mx or hill climbs?

I was watching a vid on youtube a couple of months back, and a veteran rider from the states - can't remember his name had one, and it was showing him riding through the desserts out there. He was saying even though its an old bike...its still his fav.Mental Machine

I think it does make me the bike guy lol

the bergs power and weight was just incredible.wheelied of the throttle in every gear and spat flames, did 110 mph etc etc .......but was left handed kickstart and had 13.5 -1 compression so was a fucker to start. used to break down alot, dropped a valve at one point and wouldnt start when hot.

on top of that with the berg I required stupid levels of maintenance ie oil change every 500miles cam chain evry 20 hours and full engine rebuild after 100 hours.wayyyy to much for me and eventaully the top end went.

my drz I bought was 3grand but u can get old ones for about what ure after spending.

such great bikes.parts readily avalible and just dont require any maintenence at all really. they will do 100k miles easy and few people on the forum I was on at the time were very near that mileage.

would recommend one as a starter bike certainly

Shit...Maybe I better stay away from the Bergs then. My knowledge is limited when it comes to mechanics, so maybe not the best bike for me to start with it maintenance is soo intense.

What year drz could I get with that budget?

How much would it cost to buy those mods you mentioned above?

Also how do they fare with only having 5 gears? I remember reading an article somewhere, and someone said that was one of the only downsides of the bike.

Thanks

well theres more plus sides than downsides mate.

I have always been very good with mechanical stuff and I wouldnt ever have another berg.

as for the mods the exhaust workeed out around 300 to my door.

flat side carb aint cheap maybe 250

cams maybe 250 also

sorry it was quite a while ago.

Ps - These where the Bergs I was looking at. But after what you've said I might just give them a miss.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/husaberg-motorbikes/husaberg-fe400/1090251106

http://www.gumtree.com/p/husaberg-motorbikes/husaberg-650-suoermoto-2002/1089926563

Cool...so don't worry too much about having a 5 speed box?

No worries, that gives me a rough idea :).

If need be and anything ever does go bang on the engine, are they easy enough work on? One of reasons I was thinking about 2strokes initially was their simplicity to work on opposed to 4 strokes?

yeah do not go berg route dude.

thing is with the 5speed box is you can gear the bike up for better top end becuse of the extra power the flatside and exhaust will bring.

if u buy a drz i wouldnt even worry about i goin bang.such a rare accourance and virtually unheard of mate genuinley.

those engines are so well known for being bullet proof.even when tuned lightly with exhaust and carb

Nuff said mate:)

Thats interesting to know. What sort of gains could I expect to get with those mods? Would I need an ecu remap or anything?

Last question dude, where can I pick one up within budget. They seem to be in the region of £2000 plus on Ebay, gumtree etc

lol.there isnt really an ecu tbh ...its coil pack and a tiny tiny ecu if I remeber correct, theres no ecu remapping at all lol as it doesnt apply to this bike at all. weird I know. all done by carb and jets

tuning is done by jets in the flatside carb mate.

i found my one on ebay from up in wales.they delivered it for me.

Edited by mikey4410

I cant remember exactly but I am sure with cams , carb, and mrd exhaust my mates mate 46 bhp.

they are 35 stock I believe.

Thanks for all the info mate. I was doing some research yesterday, and the 39mm card with the mrd exhaust really seems to breath some life into these bikes :)

I got a road legal kxf250 (£1350) and road legal crf250 (£1200)

I think I need to commission you to find me a back after xmas lol. Where did you find them for those sorts of prices? I would be happy with either of those bikes. What is maintenance like on them compared to something like the drz400?

Thanks for all the info mate. I was doing some research yesterday, and the 39mm card with the mrd exhaust really seems to breath some life into these bikes :)

I think I need to commission you to find me a back after xmas lol. Where did you find them for those sorts of prices? I would be happy with either of those bikes. What is maintenance like on them compared to something like the drz400?

They were both local (devon) and compared to a drz they need more maintenance but much lighter bikes and if your looking to ride off road aswell they will ruin a drz

Get an exc variant or the crf250x wouldn't really get an actual motocross bike on the road they're not designed for it and it takes a huge toll. Seen a few come through the local mx shops the owner hasn't a good word to say about them. If your only planning on short outings and green lanes a 2 stroke would be alright.

Downside to a 250f on the road is the disgusting massive rebuild cost which can easily out weigh bike value, plus they can be right assholes to start even more so when hot.

only really talking through motocross related experience and comments from an old skooler who fixes these fuckers when they blow

They were both local (devon) and compared to a drz they need more maintenance but much lighter bikes and if your looking to ride off road aswell they will ruin a drz

Yeah the drz seems like a tank in comparison to the 250fs and 125s. Do you do all the work on your bike yaself?

Get an exc variant or the crf250x wouldn't really get an actual motocross bike on the road they're not designed for it and it takes a huge toll. Seen a few come through the local mx shops the owner hasn't a good word to say about them. If your only planning on short outings and green lanes a 2 stroke would be alright.

Downside to a 250f on the road is the disgusting massive rebuild cost which can easily out weigh bike value, plus they can be right assholes to start even more so when hot.

only really talking through motocross related experience and comments from an old skooler who fixes these fuckers when they blow

I 've had a look at the 125 excs, but for the price I may as well get a bigger bike. What is it that makes the 4 strokes so expensive to rebuild mate?

I'm guessing something like the drz would be more reliable than a 250f as its not as highly strung?